Observations

Started by larryJ, March 10, 2011, 05:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane Amberg

For all the reasons you mentioned I hate high speed chases. IMHO there are very few cases where they are justified. But just like the moth to the flame, when they are shown I watch them too, hoping some innocent people won't be injured or worse.

Catwoman

There are some things you just can't turn away from (moth to flame), no matter how hard you try to...It's part of the morbid fascination that occurs when something truly terrible (or incredibly stupid) is occurring.  It takes a real act of self-control to turn the channel (i.e. walk away)...

larryJ

Ah, but there is that nagging thought that you might have missed something, or, in the case of the one I just mentioned, it might come to my neighborhood. 

Last night was the night of the American Legion meeting in Newport Beach.  My son has been on my case to join and I did.  So I went last night, was initiated, got my I.D., electronic parking card and was measured for my cap.  It was quite an experience.  They had a rather simple buffet with pork roast slices, rice, salad, rolls and cheesecake.  The food was good.  I am glad he talked me into joining even if it is for his own benefit.  Once I am a member, he can become a member as a son of a veteran.  Then he and my daughter-in-law can go and enjoy the food, the bar and the boats going up and down the bay outside.

The highlight of the evening was a welcoming kiss from my beautiful Chinese daughter-in-law, a smile from granddaughter #3, an evening with my son, and a goodnight kiss from my beautiful Chinese daughter-in-law.

The lowlight of the evening was when my Toyota van low tire pressure light came on during the drive home.  As I was close to my exit, I waited until I could get to a well-lit parking lot and saw that the right front tire had a nail in it.  It is not flat this morning, but I will have to go get it fixed today.

I think the highlights far outweigh the lowlight.  I tell my daughter-in-law that in today's vernacular, i.e., texting generation, that she is my B.D.I.L.F (Best daughter-in-law forever!)

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

larryJ

I received a phone call today from the local Toyota dealer.  A young lady called and asked if I still had my van.  I said yes and she informed me that there was a recall concerning some kind of cable that needed to be looked at.  So, tearing myself away from the forum, I went there.  Now, normally recalls are sent through the mail.  So I knew this would be a fun experience of them upselling on something else.  Sure enough, I "definitely" needed to have my brake fluid changed.  Okay, well, the van is nine years old and probably needs it so I let them do it.

The observation is, though, the waiting lounge experience.  They told me I could pick it up in two hours, but I decided to hang around and gir-----people watch.

After the first few minutes sitting in a comfy chair playing my electronic solitaire game, I heard a young lady behind me sit down and start talking on her cell phone.  Not too irritating..........but wait, it was irritating because she was talking in our native California language.............Spanish.  People talking on the phone next to you can be annoying, even more so if you can't understand the conversation.  More irritating....................she was speaking in Spanglish.................half Spanish, half English.  So now I am getting a part of the conversation, but not all of it.  What's worse is that she is behind me and I can't turn around to see what she looks like without being obvious.  The the converstion got very animated and she went outside.  She returned after a few minutes and placed another call to someone she really liked.......irritating because it sounded very sensual and all in Spanish.  Then she left again.  Then she came back again.

Another observation........ I had sat across from the restrooms, not really on pupose, but because it was close to the cashier's cage where I would pay my bill.  The ladies seem to think that the walls are made of steel and nobody can hear them.  Not so.  I can't repeat that part.

When my van was ready and I went to pay the bill, I glanced at the cell phone person and began kicking myself for not turning around and maybe striking up a conversation. 

Note to self----------you're an idiot!

Larryj

readyaimduck

Quoteyou're an idiot!

Nope, not at all.  But maybe one for not learning Spanglish!   ;D
If she had you at "Hola", then what else will you talk about?  (don't go there with love and body language stuff, like that there! ;))
ready

larryJ

For a few weeks now, I have been quietly observing my wife and her cousin on their crusade to trap a cat that doesn't seem to belong to anyone in the neighborhood.  They were using a large size cat carrier that we use when we take the cat to the vet.  My wife had rigged a pull string so that when the cat would enter the cage to get at the food, she would put the string and her cousin was in charge of latching the cage.  As I said, this has going on for a while.  Last night, as they sat out on the swing, the cat took the bait and entered the trap and voila! they got it.  The celebration they had was equal to a party to end all parties.  Then they called the Humane Society and they said they would be right out to get the cat.  Two hours later, the officer showed up and without letting us know he was here, he began the task of removing the cat from our carrier to his cage.  The cat, being very streetwise, waited for the right moment and made his escape.  Needless to say, the celebration came to an abrupt halt.

Today, my wife called the Humane Society and arranged for a trap that will work better.  I just had the pleasure of setting it up.  Who knows?  There might be another party tonight!  Hey...........if we catch that sucker and then let it go, we could party every night.  Or............who needs an excuse to party, anyway.

Tomorrow, we will have the two older granddaughters and my daughter-in-law is coming with granddaughter #3 for a pool party.  Now that's exciting!

Larryj

larryJ

A SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After setting the trap last night, our cousin was outside and heard the trap close.  We caught someone else's cat and I let it go.  Then I reset the trap and went to bed.  

As I always get up early, (5 ish), I grabbed a coffee and checked the trap and voila!  We have caught the stray cat..............wife has called the Humane Society..............end of story.  yea.

Larryj

Diane Amberg

Hooray! Hopefully it will get adopted into a good home.

larryJ

Over the past two years, since we have had R.A.M.B.O., I have noticed that he is not as dumb as he looks.  I believe this dog can actually tell time, no matter what the season is or even if Daylight Savings is in effect.

Example:  I always get up early as I enjoy the sunrise and the peace and quiet of the new day. My wife calls this her golden time as she has the bed all to herself.  This is a bed that could easily accommodate two adults, two children and three pets and not be crowded, but I digress.  I bring the dogs out to the family room with me.  Sir Charles jumps on the couch and goes back to sleep.  R.A.M.B.O. wants to be petted and then cuddles next to me in my recliner (tough thing for "fat boy") and goes back to sleep.  I peruse my mail, answer some, do the crossword, you know the menial stuff so I can spend most of my free time on the Forum.  Now.............by early, I mean 5 or 6 AM.  At 7 AM,  R.A.M.B.O. stretches, yawns and jumps down on the floor and sits there looking at me.  This happens every single morning at around 7 AM!  Sir Charles, being the dumb head he is, also wakes up and joins R.A.M.B.O. on the floor, although I am pretty sure that he doesn't have a clue as to why he did that.  So I get their food bowls and feed them, refresh their water and put them out in the backyard for the day.

Not impressed?  Every evening around 5 or 6 PM, both dogs, well, I should say, R.A.M.B.O. begins barking and Sir Charles barks also, although I am sure he has no clue why he is barking.  This is my cue that they have had enough fresh air and want to come in.  However, more observation leads me to believe that they are barking because my wife goes out there in the evening and does the training and rewards with treats.  So that is her cue to begin the training, accompanied by her cousin. 

Observation?  I know when it is around 7 AM without looking at the clock.  I know it is around 5 PM without looking at the clock.  I know that I have been conditioned by two dumb animals to respond to their time clock.  Sheeessh!

Larryj

Judy Harder

I agree with you Larry,
My scooter (fox terrier) can tell time................trouble is he thinks 4:30 Am is time for me to get up an feed him.
Then again at 4:30 PM, he is telling me the same thing.

Now, I do not mind getting up early. In summer time I think 6 is ok. Mainly we have a cardinal that sits on the roof right about my head and sings his heart out and each year, he or his kin.............do a wake up wake up wake up....until I do. Then to top it off Mr. Robin gets into the act and both of them keep it up for sometime.
I love it.
Back to Scooter. He will come in and bark once.....I tell him, not yet.....he goes back to his couch and I go back to sleep: 15 minutes later, he comes in again. Have you  ever heard a dog walk hard across concrete floors, I can hear him..........LOL and if that doesn't work, he barks again. I will tell him NO! and turn over and he lays down at the foot of the bed with a deep sigh!
Then by 5:30, he gets a little more anxious and will do the yo yo jump and usually that means (when it is daylight. Ma I have to go) Being an old dog/old man his bladder has already gone 12 hours with out relief and then I can be talked out of bed. Most days I get up with a good attitude, but, if it is raining, snowy, just me plain not resting well that night.....I can get pissy............yep, I can. Only bad thing about that is no one around to be pissy to. Oh well.
Then at 4:30 in afternoon, He looks at the clock and starts looking toward the closet door where I keep his dog feed. Yep, he cn tell time and a bad thing Sassy, my yorkie will wait for me to move and doesn't care when she eats.
He dies I will never tell time again. May even not want to sleep in. After daylight savings time is over, he does pay attention to sunlight. may be 6:30 till he gets up.

You must admit, they give you a reason to get up in morning.
God willing I will always have an animal around me.......4 legged one I mean!
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk