Turning Point with David Jeremiah

Started by Judy Harder, December 30, 2010, 08:13:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Tuesday, January 11

Near to the Heart of God

Let us draw near to God with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith.
Hebrews 10:22 (NIV)

Recommended Reading
Hebrews 10:19-23

One day in 1901, the much-loved pastor of Chicago's First Presbyterian Church, Cleland Boyd McAfee, was shaken by the news that his two beloved nieces had died from diphtheria. Sitting down in pain and in prayer, he penned the words and music of "Near to the Heart of God."

There is a place of quiet rest, near to the heart of God.  A place where sin cannot molest, near to the heart of God.

There is a place of comfort sweet, near to the heart of God.  A place where we our Savior meet, near to the heart of God.

On the day of the double funeral, McAfee sang his newly composed hymn outside his brother's quarantined house. The following Sunday, the First Presbyterian choir sang this song as a communion hymn. It expresses a great truth. In our search for inner peace we often go to resources outside ourselves, but real peace with God is found on our knees as we draw near Him and near to His heart.1

O Jesus, blest Redeemer, sent from the heart of God, hold us who wait before Thee near to the heart of God.
Cleland Boyd McAfee

1Adapted from Near to the Heart of God by Robert J. Morgan (Grand Rapids: Baker, 2010), installment for September 25.

Read-Thru-the-Bible
Genesis 32:1-34:31

:angel:
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Wednesday, January 12

Twenty-Three Years Later

(We) always ought to pray and not lose heart.
Luke 18:1

Recommended Reading
Psalm 91:14-16

After Bill Jones, President of Columbia International University, received Christ on March 24, 1974, he grew burdened for his dad. The elder Jones wasn't a Christian, and Bill prayed for him for years. Finally Bill had the opportunity of sharing the Gospel and watching his dad become a Christian. The date was March 24, 1997--23 years later to the day after Bill himself had made the same decision.

"Years later, after my dad died," Jones told his students, "I was given his Bible. Among its pages I found the little diagram I had drawn to explain the Gospel to him. So don't stop praying for your loved ones. It may take awhile, but God has a wonderful way of answering prayer."

The Bible teaches that the earnest prayers of a righteous son or daughter--or dad, or mom, or friend--are powerful and avail much. As we seek God in prayer, it's important to remember that He has given us keys to success. Jesus hears and answers prayer, and the Holy Spirit is given to encourage us to keep on praying.

Prayer does not fit us for the greater works; prayer is the greater work.
Oswald Chambers

Read-Thru-the-Bible
Genesis 35:1-37:11

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Thursday, January 13

Heart and Hands

And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:7

Recommended Reading
Philippians 4:6-9

The phrase "working in concert" is illustrated most beautifully by a concert orchestra itself. What a cacophony would be created if upwards of a hundred musicians, playing a couple dozen kinds of instruments, were all playing separate pieces! But by working in concert--playing the same score--they produce a work of beauty, harmony, and edification.

In the Christian life, heart and hands must work in concert in the same way to produce a life of peace. Our desires (the heart) and our actions (the hands) must be working toward the same goal, or tension and disharmony will cause peace to vanish. In Philippians 4:6-9, Paul talks about living a prayerful life free from anxiety (verses 6-7), and gives us themes on which the heart can settle in peace: noble, true, and virtuous things (verses 8-9). It does no good to pray for peace if we are fixing our minds on the conflicts and struggles of this world.

If you are seeking peace today, spend time meditating on Paul's words. Fix your heart, and then fold your hands in prayer--and receive God's peace.

We must never settle for harmony at the expense of holiness, nor for peace at the expense of principle.
John Bradford

Read-Thru-the-Bible
Genesis 37:12-40:23

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Perfect Peace

You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You.
Isaiah 26:3 

Recommended Reading

John 14:25-28

Isaiah 26:3 is one of the Old Testament's most beloved verses: a promise of peace made possible by remaining steadfastly focused on God. But it's the context of this promise that makes it so inviting. Israel was anticipating the Day of the Lord when God would rain down judgment upon her enemies. And in the midst of such turmoil, no Israelite should be anxious. Rather, they should keep their mind "stayed" (focused steadfastly) on the strength of God. He will "appoint salvation for walls and bulwarks" (verse 1).

The image of battles and ramparts is a good one for all who desire to keep their hearts and minds in peace. Christians are in a battle, for sure (2 Corinthians 10:3-6; Ephesians 6:10-18). We battle against principalities and powers that would seek to take our minds off of God who is our salvation. Anything the devil can do to make us doubt God's love, Christ's sufficiency, and the power of the Holy Spirit, he will do. Peace is kept by staying focused on what is true, on what God says.

Today, before heading into battle, fix and focus your mind on the great and precious promises of God (2 Peter 1:4) by which you will be kept in perfect peace.

It is in the way of truth that real peace is found.
C. H. Spurgeon

Read-thru-the-Bible
Genesis 41:1 – 42:38

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Weekend, January 15 & 16

Top Tens: enlighTENment

The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart; the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.
Psalm 19:8

Recommended Reading
Psalm 119:17-18

In your daily Bible reading, are there times when certain words appear to jump off the page in neon colors? Not literally, of course, but in terms of impact. Perhaps it was just a phrase; but it was what you needed, and it provided an enlightenment you've never forgotten.

The psalmist said that God's Word enlightens our eyes. Ezra 9:8 says that God longs to "enlighten our eyes and give us a measure of revival." Paul told his friends he was praying that their understanding would be enlightened so they would know the hope of His calling (Ephesians 1:18).

"There is nothing like reading an illuminated Bible," said Charles Spurgeon. "You may read to all eternity, and never learn anything by it, unless it is illuminated by the Spirit; and then the words shine forth like stars. The book seems made of gold leaf; every single letter glitters like a diamond. Oh, it is a blessed thing to read an illuminated Bible lit up by the radiance of the Holy Ghost."

This year, read God's Word prayerfully and expectantly.

Let me tell you a little secret: whenever you cannot understand a text, open your Bible, bend your knee, and pray over that text.
Charles Spurgeon

Read    -Thru-the-Bible
Genesis 43:1-48:22

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Monday, January 17

Roll Up Your Sleeves

And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men.
Colossians 3:23

Recommended Reading
Ephesians 6:5-8

Batwing, raglan, dolman, puffed, set-in, butterfly, paned, hanging, bell--these and more are styles of sleeves worn throughout history. Even today, the expression of someone "having something up his sleeve" refers to an Oriental-style hanging sleeve that was also used as a pocket--as still seen in China and Japan today. Today's long-sleeved shirts are often found to be overkill, as hard-working folks roll up their sleeves to accomplish their task.

Somehow, the idea of "working hard" as a Christian is lost on many believers, as if spiritual work should never be strenuous. Such a perspective might have drawn a stern correction from a hard worker like the apostle Paul. Not only did he set an example of giving one's all in service to Christ, he exhorted his readers to follow his example. We are to work heartily and be "steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord" (1 Corinthians 15:58). There is nothing about the Christian life that will not allow as much hard work as we want to give it.

Today, figuratively, if not literally, roll up your sleeves for the kingdom's sake!

The reason some people don't recognize opportunity is that it usually comes disguised as hard work.
Unknown

Read-Thru-the-Bible
Genesis 49:1-Exodus 1:22

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

January 18

Changing Teams

He has delivered us from the power of darkness and conveyed us into the kingdom of the Son of His love.
Colossians 1:13 

Recommended Reading

Acts 14:21-22

Sports fans watch annually as their favorite teams go through the ritual of trading players. Players leave the world they had known—teammates, club culture, hometown fans—and enter a new world when they are traded. They suddenly find themselves trying to defeat the same team they used to try to make victorious.

That's a somewhat inadequate way to introduce the idea of what happens when one becomes a Christian. But it helps illustrate that we are transferred from one "team" (the kingdom of darkness) to a new "team" (the kingdom of God). Without even knowing it, we used to work against the "team" of which we are now a member—"work" being the key word. Now, as a member of the kingdom of light (or kingdom of God, or kingdom of heaven) we are called by God to extend that kingdom by word and deed. We extend God's kingdom by spreading the Gospel, applying biblical values in the marketplace, promoting justice and righteousness, and speaking out boldly in the name of Christ when injustice, darkness, and carnality surface.

We are called to work hard to extend God's kingdom. When God gives you an opportunity today, grasp it with all your might!

The work of God cannot be done in the energy of the flesh.
Vance Havner

Read-thru-the-Bible
Exodus 2:1 – 5:23

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Wednesday, January 19

Uniquely You

Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, let us use them.
Romans 12:6a

Recommended Reading
Romans 12:3-8

When we think of uniqueness, we often think of snowflakes--the classic example of "no two being alike." But there are other worthy examples: Forensic science developed around the uniqueness of human fingerprints--no two being alike. And now the retina of the human eye is being used as a means of identification and security clearance because, you guessed it--no two are alike.

Those unique traits of humans speak to the larger uniqueness factor that every human being possesses: There has never been a person in history with the same combination of appearance, personality, natural talents, and spiritual gifts as you! And there never will be. That should be the basis for the positive self-esteem of every person in the world--and especially every Christian, once spiritual gifts are added to the mix. If you are a follower of Christ, no one in the world is qualified to take your place in the kingdom of God. Every Christian's prayer should be, "Lord, guide me into fulfilling the calling for which You created and gifted me."

Uniqueness is not a human boast, but a boast in the creativity and generosity of God. Ask Him today to use you to be a blessing to others that is unique to only you.

Take note of what God gives you, then you will also know the task He sets before you.
Emil Brunner

Read-Thru-the-Bible
Exodus 6:1-8:32

:angel:`
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Thursday, January 20

True Strength

And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
2 Corinthians 12:9

Recommended Reading
Mark 10:43-45

The American Heritage Dictionary defines a paradox as "a seemingly contradictory statement that may nonetheless be true." And the New Testament gives us several good examples: we receive by giving, we live by dying, we become great by becoming small, and others.

One of the most important paradoxes for Christian living is found in the apostle Paul's experience with weakness and strength. When he found himself to be weak, he asked God to remove the weakness so he could once again be strong enough to serve. But instead of removing the weakness, God gave Paul grace to experience the strength and power of Jesus Christ in his life. It was when Paul was willing to be humanly weak that he was in the right place to experience the strength of Christ. And therein lies the paradox: We become strong (in Christ) as we recognize our own human weakness, when we depend more on Him and less on ourselves.

Today: Rise early, exercise, eat healthy, sleep well. But remember that your true strength is the strength of Jesus.

Real true faith is man's weakness leaning on God's strength.
D. L. Moody

Read-Thru-the-Bible
Exodus 9:1-12:28

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Friday, January 21

Open Hands

And remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that He said, "It is more blessed to give than to receive."
Acts 20:35b

Recommended Reading
2 Cor. 9:10-11

Try this object lesson with a child. Have him hold out both hands, palms open, and put a nickel in each palm. Tell him to close his fists tight and keep them closed no matter what you say. Now tell him you're very poor and need some money. Can you have his two coins? No--he's holding them tightly. Then tell him you're very rich and would like to give him two quarters to replace his two nickels. Can you replace his nickels with quarters? No--he's still holding tight.

Even a child can see what adults sometimes fail to recognize: A closed hand misses two blessings in life. A closed hand cannot enjoy the blessing of giving to others who are in need, nor can a closed hand receive blessings God may want to bestow. The best posture in life is to live with open hands and to view ourselves as channels of God's blessings. He gives to us not only to meet our needs, but to give us the opportunity to learn to give as Christ gave--fully, generously, and unconditionally.

Prayerfully hold out both open hands in front of you and present them to the Lord for Him to take from them or give to them as He pleases.

Our heavenly father never takes anything from His children unless He means to give them something better.
George Muller

Read-Thru-the-Bible
Exodus 12:29-15:27

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk