county getting 1/4 million dollar loan

Started by aka-algorithm, August 04, 2010, 09:47:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aka-algorithm

This is what is being proposed and sought...
the county is seeking a 300-400,000 dollar loan for the repair of the roof!

What in the world are we doing?
Is no one concerned that a county with no money is seeking more debt?
There are options!
     Why do we have to put more of the absolute most expensive type of roof covering onto a building that is not historically significant in any way?
     Why did everyone scoff at the school and yet say nothing about this?
     Why keep ruining our vehicles and tires so we can throw money at the courthouse roof?
    DO YOU WANT TO END UP PAYING A 9.75% TAX LIKE SEDAN?
it could happen!!!!!!!!

GET INVOLVED please!

W. Gray

The Elk County courthouse is on the National Register of Historic Places.

One of the "Elk County Commissioners Reports" in the Prairie Star says the county was turned down by one of the county banks for the loan.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

W. Gray

Other Elk County places on the National Register of Historic Places:

Durbin Archeological District
Elk Falls Platt Truss Bridge
Elk River Archeological District
Grenola Mill and Elevator
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

srkruzich

Quote from: W. Gray on August 04, 2010, 10:15:10 AM
The Elk County courthouse is on the National Register of Historic Places.

One of the "Elk County Commissioners Reports" in the Prairie Star says the county was turned down by one of the county banks for the loan.

well thats significant.  IF they turn down the county for a loan then that means the county is a bad risk.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

sixdogsmom

There isn't a matching funds grant available?
Edie

twirldoggy

Follow the money:  in other words, how much for labor and how much for materials?  Where will materials be purchased and who is to do the labor?  There may be many reasons a bank turned the county down.

srkruzich

Quote from: twirldoggy on August 04, 2010, 05:31:30 PM
Follow the money:  in other words, how much for labor and how much for materials?  Where will materials be purchased and who is to do the labor?  There may be many reasons a bank turned the county down.

well most likely because theres not enough money to pay it back.  You know banks don't make loans when our d/i ratio is over 33%. Not good Business sense.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

the shadow

"I would like to invite any and all to help me to learn about the Elk County Courthouse.
I would appreciate any pictures of the "new" courthouse from the grand opening and later to learn and educate visitors about the history and changes to the courthouse over the years.
Now that the courthouse is on the Historical Registry this information is important.
I believe that all will agree that we would not want this knowledge lost beyond retrieval.

Any knowledge of it's construction, and / or where abouts of some of the woodwork that was removed to make way for the elevator would be nice also.

Pictures and news articles though will especially be useful and appreciated greatly.
I would like to see some of these photos framed and hung throughout the courthouse.
Thanks will be made to any provider.

I thank you now."

Aka-Algorithm: On March 12, 2010, the above was posted on a thread about "our history" in the Good Old Days section of the forum. In it, you state, "now that the courthouse is on the Historical Registry..." but in this thread today, you said, "..into a building that isn't historically significant...". Um, which is it? Historical or not? I trust Waldo's post that it is. I just thought maybe you were having a senior moment or something.
The Shadow knows!

W. Gray

Elk County Court House National Register of Historic Places information is at the below web site.

Descriptive information on the courthouse is included several pages into the document.

http://www.kshs.org/resource/national_register/nominationsNRDB/Elk_ElkCountyCourthouseNR.pdf

Varmit

This really shouldn't come as a shock.  The comissioners have wasted money before why should now be any different?  300-400k for a roof on a building that is so outdated?  You could damn near put up a new building for that.

Would it be nice to keep the courthouse, sure. But facts is facts and the place is falling apart.  Seems to me that a decision that could impact the citizens of this county in a signifcant way should be put up for a vote by those citizens.
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk