Josiah Torbett

Started by Mom70x7, July 29, 2010, 09:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mom70x7

As secretary for the Howard UMC, I occasionally get requests for information. This one came this week, and I don't find him in our records. Can you guys help?

The pastor I was speaking about was Josiah Torbett. He should have one of the first pastors there. He was the brother in law of a J.R. Hall who was the editor and publisher of the Journal in the 1880's. . . . . These two families have played significant roles in our nations history - The Torbetts of Tennessee and the Halls of Virginia.

Thanks!

ddurbin

Found some matching information on Josiah Torbett on Ancestry.  Will pm you with the details later.

Mom70x7

Marcia Moore

The Torbetts owned land just 3/4 of a mile north & east of Union Center.  Rev. Josiah H. Torbett was born Nov. 10, 1828 in Sullivan Co., TN.  His wife, Elizabeth (Hall) Torbett, was born Dec. 31, 1839.  Josiah was a Methodist preacher for many years.  He retired in 1899 and moved to Bentonville, AR where he died on Nov. 26, 1911.  His wife, Elizabeth, passed away on Dec. 5, 1917.  The Torbetts are buried in Bentonville Cemetery at Bentonville, AR.

Mom70x7

Thanks - wonderful information.

The guy asking me the questions said he pastored in this area. I don't have him in my records at Howard UMC, but I'm never 100% sure we have all our records since the fire.

I've also e-mailed this person and told him to log onto the forum if he wants more information. Hope he does.

Again, thanks.

Marcia Moore

I believe Josiah was a circuit preacher, preaching at Howard, Union Center, Clear Creek and other Methodist Episcopal Churches in the circuit.  Union Center did not have an actual Methodist Episcopal church building, but Methodist services were held in the Union Center school building.

bcylkowski

Hi

I am the fella who was asking about Josiah Torbett and family. I am not related in any way to the families but have been writing about them for quite a spell. I have traced them from Virginia and Tennessee to Chicago, Indiana and so on. So much so that I have a fair amount of material for a series of books. The families are quite central to the history of this country and its been an amazing journey so far. Some of the most interesting material on the Rev Josiah Torbett has been a series of letters he had written to friend of his in Virginia before he had married.

One of my goals is to try to obtain a photo for the inclusion in my book on the Rev Torbett as well as Sarah Elizabeth his wife.Any help is appreciated.

Brian Cylkowski

Mom70x7

Brian -

I'm so glad you joined. There's a wealth of information people here.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk