Delaware Annual Powwow

Started by frawin, May 29, 2010, 07:29:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frawin

Last night we attended the opening ceremonies of the Annual Delaware Indian Powwow. As always it was really a neat event. They have their own big Tribal meeting area in the woods Norteast of Copan,. The dress and and dance contest is really something to see. The Delaware Color guard marched in with the flags with the Stars and Stripes at the head of the group, later they retired the American flag that was flying high on the pole. Their is no contempt shown for America by any of the Native Americans, they are a very proud people and show it in everyway. I think every Indian Nation and Tribes within each Nation in Oklahoma were represented.

Diane Amberg

I would have loved to have seen that. The dances (prayers) are wonderful to see with the little kids right at the end trying to learn. When we are traveling and there is a Powwow near by we always try to go. I have learned so much over the years.( The Nanticokes here have one each year too.) I enjoyed the Green corn Powwow north near Horton when Grandpa Boyd took us. It was a big one too with Kickapoo, Potawatomi, Sac and Fox, Cherokee and many others.  I especially enjoyed the women's' dances and the huge ceremonial drum they gathered around to beat. Thanks for reminding me of the fun we've had.

Rudy Taylor

I've attended the Delaware Pow-Wow many times and it always inspires me. I feel terrible that it's only located seven miles south of my home and we haven't been there for at least 20 years.  I highly recommend it.  Don't expect a gymnasium or big convention center. This place is back in the woods, and the sound of those drums can be heard echoing through the trees and pathways as you approach the ceremonial grounds.
It truly is "a wonderful life."

sixdogsmom

Is this a three day event? We used to get news when this event was going on-----???
Edie

Diane Amberg

Rudy, all the ones I've ever been to were outside, usually in cleared areas surrounded by trees. Indoors just wouldn't be the same.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk