Encouragement for Today

Started by Judy Harder, September 01, 2008, 07:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Encouragement for Today
Welcome to Encouragement for Today, a free devotional from Crosswalk, the world's largest Christian website.

September 1, 2008

The Pure in Heart Will See God

Glynnis Whitwer

"Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God." Matthew 5:8 (NIV)

Devotion:

There once was a Pharisee named Simon, who was quite sure that if God had a list of favorites, he would be near the top. As a member of the Jewish elite, he prided himself on keeping the Ten Commandments and wore robes to set himself apart from the common rabble of humanity. And as a Jew, like generations before him, Simon was waiting for God to send the promised Savior.

There once was a woman who was just as certain. However, she was certain to be on no one's list. She knew she was worthy of nothing but contempt from the men and women she encountered. She was a woman who had kept neither God's nor man's rules, and had no hope of ever being accepted.

Then there was Jesus in the middle of it all. Confusing and bewildering, He was breaking man's laws to follow God's, and showering love on those who believed they deserved it least.

These three individuals are the key players in a story found in Luke 7, verses 36-50. Simon had invited Jesus to dinner, then showed Him no common courtesy. Jesus' feet weren't washed, His cheeks weren't kissed and His head wasn't anointed with oil. Everyone in attendance would have noticed these breaches in polite behavior. The air must have been thick with tension. It was as if Simon had slapped Jesus in the face.

As the dinner progressed, a woman crossed the courtyard. She knelt beside Jesus, tears coursed down her checks, landing in splashes on Jesus' feet. She took her unbound hair and gently wiped the muddy spots from Jesus' feet. She then anointed them with perfume. Jesus' feet were dirty, cracked and calloused. But they were beautiful to her.

Scripture doesn't tell us how this woman knew about Jesus. But it is clear she knew enough to act with an extravagance that speaks of great love and gratitude.

Simon must have been disgusted with this display of emotion. Simon the judge, whose heart was bound by pride, judges the woman and Jesus. There was no love in Simon's heart.

It's at this time that Jesus reads Simon's thoughts. Simon said to himself, "If this man were a prophet, he would know who is touching him and what kind of a woman she is -- that she is a sinner."

Jesus then goes on to acknowledge Simon's thoughts, and teach a lesson about forgiveness and love.

What strikes me about this story isn't the parable that Jesus teaches, which is important enough to address on its own. But it is the fact that Simon had been waiting all his life to see the Messiah. Jesus was the fulfillment of the promise to all of Simon's ancestors. And yet, when the Messiah -- God incarnate - walked into Simon's home, Simon didn't recognize Him.

In Matthew 5, Jesus taught what we now call "The Beatitudes." In verse 8, Jesus speaks these words, "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God." The truth of these words was demonstrated in the story of Simon.

Simon made sure the outside of his life looked really good. But he neglected the condition of his heart. Simon didn't see his need for forgiveness, or his need for a savior. The woman in the story had just the opposite condition. The outside of her life was a wreck before she met Jesus, but she knew her desperate need for salvation. Her heart was stripped of pride and was overflowing with love. Now consider, which one saw God?

A pure heart ...the ability to see God ... is it possible for me? Only with God's help and a willingness to be brutally honest about the sin that's been hiding in my heart. I know I would rather have the heart of that woman and see God act in my life, than be bound by pride and miss Him.

Dear Lord, thank You for revealing Yourself to those who humbly seek You. Help me to uncover any ignored or overlooked sin in my heart. I long to stand before You with a pure heart, and I know I need Your help. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Related Resources:

Who Holds the Key to Your Heart? by Lysa TerKeurst

The Confident Woman: Knowing Who You are in Christ by Anabel Gillham

P31 Woman Magazine

Application Steps: 

Pray Psalm 139:23-24. Ask God to reveal any sin lurking in your heart. Commit to asking God's forgiveness for this sin, and His help in dealing with it.

Reflections: 

What risk does this woman face in coming to Simon's house and bowing at Jesus' feet?

What are some sins that are easy to keep hidden in our hearts?

What risks and benefits do we face when we are honest about the sin we can keep hidden in our hearts?

Power Verses:

Luke 7:47, "Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven--for she loved much. But he who has been forgiven little loves little." (NIV)

Psalm 139:23-24, "Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." (NIV)

Psalm 51:10, "Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me." (NIV)

© 2008 by Glynnis Whitwer. All rights reserved.
www.Proverbs31.org

Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

September 2, 2008

What's Left?

Micca Monda Campbell

"The Lord is good, a refuge in times of trouble. He cares for those who trust in him." Nahum 1:7 (NIV)

Devotion:

Times are tough. People everywhere are losing their jobs, their homes, and their hope. If it has happened to you, then you know how devastating loss can be. You know what it feels like to be at the mercy of a job interviewer, or enslaved to a credit lender. It can leave us feeling less than.

Most of us seek identity in our jobs, dreams, talents, or peers. The people we love, the things we own, and the job we do often defines who we are. When we lose those things, we feel as though we have lost our identity. After that, what else is left?

The good news is--there is more left than we realize. This was true for Daniel after King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon came to Jerusalem and besieged it. The king ordered for some royal family Israelites to be taken into captivity. The order specified those who were attractive, smart, healthy, and who would make good servants to the king. Daniel was among them. They were also told what to eat and what to drink.

I imagine most the captives were distraught by all they had lost. They had been taken from their home, their land, and their people. But Daniel and his friends responded differently than most. They chose not to look at what they had lost but rather what they still had left.

Daniel had faith. He knew that the true King was large and in charge. Nebuchadnezzar may have been king of Babylon , but God was the King of Daniel.

Trusting God to work on his behalf, Daniel asked that he not have to defile himself by eating the king's food. Despite the official's hesitation, he granted Daniel's request due to God's favor.

As children of God, we do not have to lose heart or succumb to the world's ways either. No matter what kind of situation we are placed in, God can make the impossible possible. The Lord also gave knowledge and understanding to Daniel along with his three friends. This caught the king's attention. No one else in the kingdom could compare to these four. So, they entered the king's service without violating their faith and remained there until a new king took the throne.

Unfortunately, everyone experiences times of loss--a job, a friendship, a dream. Even so, our worth and identity are not found in these things. Nor is it found in our failures or losses. Your value and mine is in God and the amount of faith we have in Him.

When we find ourselves in our own Babylons, let's not look at what we've lost but at what we have left--our faith! It may be shaken but it can't be taken. Faith, like Daniel's, provides hope in a God who is large and in charge over every authority. That, my friend, is no loss. That is great gain.

Dear Lord, My focus has been on my circumstances instead of on You. Today, I chose to put my trust in You. I believe that You are aware of my situation and are working on my behalf. Fill my soul with peace and help me to rest in Your care. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Related Resources:

Do You Know Him?

Visit Micca Campbell's blog

Trials of Today, Treasures for Tomorrow by Janet Eckles

Application Steps: 

Read about Daniel's story and exercising your faith in trying times at Micca's blog.

Instead of focusing on your loss, make a list of all you still have left.

Reflections: 

Where do you get your worth from?

How can faith in God see you through hard times?

Power Verses:

Psalm 138:7, "Though I walk in the midst of trouble, You preserve my life; You stretch out Your hand against the anger of my foes, with Your right hand You save me." (NIV)

1 Peter 5:7, "Cast all your anxiety on Him because he cares for you." (NIV)

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

September 3, 2008

Sharon's Bible

Marybeth Whalen

"Share with God's people who are in need."

Romans 12:13a (NIV)

Devotion:

Has God ever laid it on your heart to do something that sounded totally crazy? What was your response?

Last fall I had a wonderful adventure on the high seas as several of us set sail for the Girlfriends' Getaway Cruise. My roommate was a fellow P31 speaker team member that I didn't know very well yet, but grew to love during our time as roomies. Sharon Glasgow's heart for God and sweet disposition made me so thankful that I had a chance to get to know her better.

One day during some downtime, I noticed Sharon reading her Bible. Now, let's just say that Sharon's Bible was well-loved. Some might go so far as to say it was falling apart! I noted the duct tape holding it together and the whole sections falling out. It was clear that Sharon's Bible was precious to her, but I wondered how she could stand its fragileness when she traveled.

I love my Bible dearly and use it faithfully--the same Bible I have had since I was 17 years old! So, I totally understood what I perceived as Sharon's reluctance to use any other Bible. When I got home and saw that I had a copy of the exact same kind of Bible as Sharon's just sitting unused on a shelf, I smiled to myself. This Bible was in "like new" condition. At that moment, I felt God giving me a little nudge to send Sharon that Bible. I did what I am prone to do and argued with God about how it might offend her and that I didn't want her to think I was judging her dilapidated old Bible. God assured me He would take care of that and I was to just obey. So I mailed the Bible off and that was the last I thought of it. Little did I know that Sharon had always wanted another Bible to replace her old one, but it was a limited edition that was no longer made. She had searched and searched but couldn't find a new Bible that was just like the one she had. I couldn't have known that when I sent her my new Bible - it was a much bigger gift than I imagined!

I couldn't have imagined, but God did.

Is there something little--something so insignificant sounding--that God might be nudging you to do today? Are you arguing with Him, giving Him a list of reasons why you shouldn't do what He has laid on your heart to do? No matter how silly, how small, or how awkward what He is asking is, might I urge you to just do it? You might never know why or what the significance could be to the recipient unless you do. I was so grateful God allowed me to participate in His answer to Sharon's prayers. What a blessing! How could I have known what a forgotten Bible on my shelf would mean to my sweet friend?

"Give what you have, for you never know--to someone else it may be better than you can even dare to think." - Henry Wordsworth Longfellow

Dear Lord, Thank You for caring about the details of our lives and answering our prayers so specifically. Thank You also for the times You allow me to be a part of that. Help me to listen when You direct me to do something--no matter how small or insignificant or crazy it might sound to me. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Related Resources:

Do You Know Him?

Discerning the Voice of God by Priscilla Shirer

Sanctuary: A Devotional Bible for Women

Visit Marybeth Whalen's blog

Application Steps: 

Is there something God has laid on your heart to do? If so, don't put it off another day!

Reflections: 

Have you ever had something like this happen to you? Did you find out that it blessed the person more than you could have known? Marybeth is going to be discussing this on her blog today if you would like to share your story and encourage others to follow God's leading.

Power Verses:

Matthew 10:42, "And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is my disciple, I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward." (NIV)

Matthew 25:40, "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me'." (NIV) 

Hebrews 13:3, "Remember those in prison as if you were their fellow prisoners, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering." (NIV)

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

September 4, 2008

An Ordinary Glass Window, A Timely Marriage Reminder

Lysa TerKeurst

"Marriage should be honored by all ..."

Hebrews 13:4 (NIV)

Devotion:

About a year ago I woke up early one morning and saw the strangest sight. Condensation had collected on one of my bedroom windows. Etched in the condensation were two perfectly drawn circles. They were joined at the center and looked exactly like two wedding bands.

I stared at this marking on my window and tried to come up with a reasonable explanation. I could not for the life of me figure out how two perfect circles could have gotten drawn into the condensation of my very high up bedroom window. Later that day I went back to look at the window, but the hot afternoon sun had long since caused the window to dry out. The wedding bands were gone. For days I looked for their return, waking each morning eager to see them and ponder their existence. But when the days turned into weeks without seeing them, I eventually stopped looking.

Then one morning they reappeared. Only this time they were there for several mornings straight. Each morning when my eyes would open, the two etched wedding bands were the first thing I'd see.

On about the fourth morning as I stared at this strange phenomenon my heart started aching. There was a kind of urgency suddenly pulsing through my chest. I tried to brush it off but couldn't quite shake the feeling. It was a conviction - but not a condemning kind of conviction, rather a tender conviction to love my husband more intentionally. And not just in the convenient ways, in the inconvenient as well. In ways that take a little more thought, intentionality and effort. Ways that are easy to let slip when the everyday urgencies seem to take precedence and seem more important.

So, I mentally made all kinds of promises and grand plans for a priority overhaul. And for a few days, I did great. But then life... lots of life distracted me and my attention got redirected. The window circles soon disappeared and so did my resolve. All my good intentions slipped back into a comfortable getting by of sorts.

Well, at the risk of starting to sound like a Hallmark movie, the circles came back. I don't want to sound presumptuous. I fully realize that there could be a perfectly good reason for the circles. One friend suggested that they could be leftover marks from when the windows were installed. But then why are they only sometimes there? We've lived in this house and had that same window for 15 years and they are just now showing up? And why do they only seem to appear when God needs to send me a perfectly timed reminder to give my marriage and my husband, more attention?

Do you think that maybe, just maybe, Love of the most divine kind has reached down to touch an ordinary glass window?

Dear Lord, I think we'll be amazed one day when we get to Heaven and realize how intimately involved You've always been in our lives. Lord, thank You for this message in the form of two circles on my window. Even if there is an explanation for them besides You drawing these circles, I thank You that through them You've reminded me to love my husband more intentionally. Please help us all to make our marriages more of a priority in our lives. Show us how to love the way you intended us to love. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Related Resources:

Visit Lysa TerKeurst's blog today to learn how to conquer one of the most challenging aspects of marriage - expectations!

Capture His Heart by Lysa TerKeurst

The Bathtub is Overflowing but I Feel Drained by Lysa TerKeurst

Application Steps: 

Make a list today of some attitudes and actions that you could change as a blessing for your spouse.

Attitude: Have you been struggling with any negative attitudes toward your spouse such as disrespect, unforgiveness, resentment, or frustration?

Actions: What are some little everyday things that you could do to make your spouse's life better, more fun, or less stressful?

Reflections: 

I know from personal experience that marriage can be both wonderful and incredibly hard. One of the most important things I can do as a wife is to actively pray for my husband, and myself in my role as a wife. What are some things that you could commit to praying for in regards to your marriage? After all if God can speak to me through an ordinary window, I know he can certainly speak to us and advise us about our marriages during focused times of prayer.

Power Verses:

1 Peter 3:1, "Wives, in the same way be submissive to your husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives." (NIV) 

1 Timothy 3:11, "In the same way, their wives are to be women worthy of respect, not malicious talkers but temperate and trustworthy in everything." (NIV)

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

September 5, 2008

The Healing Power of Hope

Amy Carroll

"Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life."

Proverbs 13:12 (NIV)

Devotion:

Our whole table was doubled over with laughter. The meeting had begun somberly with formal introductions, but all it took was a little fun to make my diminutive tablemates relax into our time together. Last summer on our team's trip to Ecuador with Compassion International, we had the opportunity to share lunch and craft time with a group of elementary school aged children at a Compassion project near Quito . Each child had shyly introduced themselves with their beautiful Spanish name. When we got to one shiny-haired, sparkly-eyed boy, however, he announced his name loudly--"Stephen Segal!" The whole group erupted with laughter.

Dr. Wess Stafford, in his book Too Small to Be Ignored, says this about poverty, "More than any other emotion, the poor feel overwhelmed. Without financial resources, shelter, food, education, justice, or skills to address their plight, they succumb to the downward spiral that leads to hopelessness and despair. That, my friend, is the essence of poverty." As president of Compassion, Dr. Stafford has seen the most extreme poverty and its effects on children all over the world. He has watched the light leave children's eyes, seen their shoulders begin to slump, and their hearts begin to believe that all hope is completely beyond them.

As I watched these children laugh, I was struck with how little it takes to restore hope. A sponsor's small, monthly donation of money is only part of the story. There are many other means of building hope in Compassion's ministry. I entered a home later that day and delighted as a young girl brought out her treasured stack of letters from her sponsor. Each of those letters was a reminder that someone else in the world loves her, believes in her and has found her valuable. The kind words and smiles from the Ecuadorian Compassion staff also nourished the souls of their small students. I hope even their visitors from America stoked the fragile fires of hope in those children's hearts.

There are children all around us that need an infusion of hope. They are longing for a kind look or an affirming word. It doesn't take much to rekindle hope in a child, but it does require paying attention to those in need. Most of all, they need to hear about the God who created them and who cherishes them as His own special child. The children in Ecuador had heard The Message and received the hope that would forever save their inner selves from the ravages of poverty even though they still faced great physical need in their communities each day.

Before we left that day, I asked the children what they wanted to be when they grow up. "I want to be a policeman," my precious sponsored child replied. "I want to be a teacher," said another. One stunning little girl told me she wanted to be a fashion designer. Tears filled my eyes as I hugged these children good-bye. My heart was full, too, with the dreams and hopes of an amazing group of children.

Dear Lord, I want to be tuned in to helping restore hope in a hopeless child's life. Will you bring me a divine appointment with a child today who needs a loving smile or a kind word? Help me to be ready to share your grace and love. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Related Resources:

Do You Know Him?

Compassion International

You Are Special by Max Lucado

Visit Amy Carroll's blog

Application Steps: 

Go to the Compassion link and sponsor a child. The blessings will come back to you as you join with Jesus to restore hope in a child's life!

Look for a child to encourage today. A child in need could be anywhere--next door, in the grocery store, or even in your own home.

Reflections: 

What am I doing to help address poverty in the world?

How does God see people in poverty? (Use your Bible's concordance to do a word study.)

Power Verses:

Acts 10: 4, "Cornelius stared at him in fear. 'What is it, Lord?' he asked. The angel answered, 'Your prayers and gifts to the poor have come up as a memorial offering before God.'" (NIV)

Proverbs 22:9, "A generous man will himself be blessed, for he shares his food with the poor." (NIV)

© 2008 by Amy Carroll. All rights reserved.

Proverbs 31 Ministries

616-G, Matthews-Mint Hill Road

Matthews, NC 28105

www.proverbs31.org
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

September 8, 2008

He Prays For Me!

By Lisa Jones, She Speaks! Graduate

"And the Lord said, Simon, Simon! Indeed, Satan has asked for you, that he may sift you as wheat. But I have prayed for you, that your faith should not fail; and when you have returned to Me, strengthen your brethren." Luke 22:31-32 (NKJV)

Devotion:

One time while I was going through a serious trial in my life, I felt as if I were all alone. I felt discouraged and powerless. I would spend hours every day in prayer for everyone else and their situations, asking God to intervene on their behalf, and yet I wondered who was praying for me. Was there anyone out there who cared enough about me and my suffering to bring it before God and beg Him to touch my life? Was there anyone who shared with the Lord that I was hurting? Shortly after that God encouraged me through His Word, and through today's verse, that His Son Jesus does care for me and prays for me faithfully.

I wander what would have happened to Peter after he denied Christ if Jesus had not previously prayed for him? Would he have turned to the world, denying Jesus for eternity?  Only God knows the answer. But the good news is God would not have it happen. Instead, God heard the prayers of Jesus for Peter. Therefore, after denying the Lord three times, Peter wept, repented, and drew near to God.

Jesus prays for me as well. He intercedes on my behalf. He knows what is set before me and desires that my faith in Him will not fail. He prays that I will have the strength to keep my eyes on Him, never straying too far behind, and that I will stay close to His side.

Jesus is my prayer partner. I am indebted to the Lord for He is at all times working on my behalf. He is my High Priest, mediating between me and God. Because of Jesus, I am made strong when I am weak. Because of Jesus' faithfulness to me, I have experienced what joy feels like!

Jesus prays for you as well. He understands that Satan wishes to sift you like wheat. Do not despair, Jesus has prayed for you! He desires to wipe the tears from your cheek and replace it with the joy that faithfulness brings. When you feel all alone and like the world has forgotten you, when you feel as if you can continue no longer, do not fret--the Savior is there praying for you! His Father always hears his prayers. They will strengthen you, and then in turn you can help strengthen others.

Dear Lord, sometimes I feel all alone and weary, as if I have no strength left within me. Yet, I will seek You in prayer. I will make my request before You, for I know You are there for me and interceding on my behalf. You know what is before me and what I need. Give me strength when it feels as if Satan is trying to sift me like wheat. Create within my heart faithfulness and steadfastness. Thank You for praying for me, taking my request to the Father so, through You, I may gain strength. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Related Resources:

Do You Know Him?

31 Days of Prayer by Ruth Myers

Dear Jesus by Sarah Young

Listen to Today's P31 Radio Show

Application Steps: 

Consider your personal prayer time with the Savior. Are you spending time daily with Jesus building your relationship with Him? If not, set time aside each day to talk with the Lord.

Continue in God's Word, seeking out His wisdom so that when the storms of life come along you will stand strong in the confidence that you are not alone! Christ is there for you and will pray that your faith will not fail!

Reflections: 

Am I coming before God boldly in prayer, making my requests known unto Him?

If not, what is keeping me from coming to the throne of grace?

Where do I seek out strength - in my own flawed self, or in the mighty strength of Christ?

Power Verses:

Hebrews 7:25, "Therefore He is also able to save to the uttermost those who come to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them." (NKJV)

Proverbs 31 Ministries

Matthews, NC 28105

www.proverbs31.org

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

September 9, 2008

Born To Run

Marybeth Whalen

"For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities-- his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse." Romans 1:20 (NIV)

Devotion:

Running was always something I told myself I simply could not do. I reasoned that I was not born a runner and lacked the physical endurance and stamina that runners possess. Plus, I had a whole list of reasons for why I could not run:

If only I had a good pair of running shoes.

If only I had more time to run without kids in tow.

If only I had an Mp3 player so I could listen to music while I ran.

Then, I reasoned, I could take up running.

One day I realized that all these "reasons" were just thinly disguised excuses to avoid the work that I knew running was going to be. I didn't want to extend myself outside my comfort zone. I didn't want to strain every muscle in my body. I didn't want to take time out of my already busy days and devote it to running. I liked to talk about running someday but I didn't actually want to do it.

Eventually, I laid all my excuses aside and ventured out for that first run. It was grueling and humbling. And, surprisingly, I loved it. As I was running the other day, I thought about how much my attitude about running has changed since I started. If there's a day that goes by that I can't do it, I crave it. I look forward to my runs and have even learned to include my children in my trek around the neighborhood. As I thought about all the excuses I once used to avoid running, I was so glad that I eventually stopped hiding behind them and took the plunge. What I would have missed out on if I hadn't!

Perhaps you have been hiding behind some excuses of your own lately. Maybe your excuses involve exercise like mine did. Or maybe they involve other things like why you can't give up a bad habit, why you aren't able to forgive someone, or why you are continuing in a sin God has been convicting you of. Maybe you have been letting excuses keep you from a more intimate relationship with God, or maybe you have been excusing the fact that you need to accept Christ as Savior. Even as you read these words, God is impressing on your heart that there is something you need to do--but you have been letting excuses serve as a barrier between knowing it and actually doing it.

Today I invite you to remove the excuses in your life. To choose one excuse today and begin to tear it down, taking just one brick out of the wall. Over the next days and weeks, choose more bricks to remove until one day, nothing is standing between you and that scary thing you know you need to do.

I am glad I stopped listening to my own excuses and accepted the invitation to venture beyond my comfort zone. I learned that we were all born to run, as long as we grip the Father's hand with all our might and stop letting excuses keep us from taking that first step.

Dear Lord, I don't want excuses to stand between me and whatever You are calling me to. Help me to rely on You and not hide behind excuses as You invite me to experience abundant life in You. Lord, I trust You to catch me when I fall and to be my strength in all situations--even the ones that scare me and stretch me beyond what I feel capable of. With You I can do anything. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Related Resources:

Self Talk, Soul Talk by Jennifer Rothschild

Visit Marybeth Whalen's blog

For the Write Reason General Editor Marybeth Whalen

Application Steps: 

As you think about excuses in your life--emotional, physical, spiritual, etc.--make a personal list of what God reveals to you in the days to come. Ask God to help you remove those excuses and equip you to tackle whatever you are avoiding.

Reflections: 

Can you think of a time when you used excuses to avoid something and found that once you removed the excuses, you were glad you did what you'd been avoiding? How can remembering this experience help you face similar situations now?

Is there someone in your life who needs you to hold them accountable for removing the excuses in their life? How can you reach out to them today?

Power Verses:

John 15:22, "If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not be guilty of sin. Now, however, they have no excuse for their sin." (NIV)

Luke 14:18a, "But they all alike began to make excuses." (NIV)

© 2008 by Marybeth Whalen. All rights reserved.

Proverbs 31 Ministries

Matthews, NC 28105

www.proverbs31.org
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

September 10, 2008

Salty, Shiny, Sheep

Luann Prater

"You are the salt of the earth." Matthew 5:13 (NIV)

"In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." Matthew 5:16 (NIV)

"I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me." John 10:14 (NIV)

Devotion:

The world fills us with false descriptions of what we should strive to become. An entrepreneur like Bill Gates, a gardener like Martha Stewart, and you know some have stood in front of the mirror dreaming of becoming the next American Idol!

Being raised in the 70s, I always wanted to be the girl on the commercial who sang, "I can bring home the bacon; fry it up in a pan; and never ever let you forget you're a man; 'cause I'm a WOMAN!" What a lofty goal...ugh and tiring! We wear ourselves out trying to fit the image that Satan has painted.

Need a different image to conform to? How about salty, shiny, sheep?

Let's take a look at how Jesus described us. We are salt. Do you know that salt is used in greater quantities and for more applications than any other mineral? It has more than 14,000 known uses! Every living creature requires salt for life and health.

Salt can soften hard water, remove impurities; preserve and cure foods; tan hides and it's even been used to seed clouds to produce rain.

When Jesus refers to us as salt he means that we are essential to every living creature. We have thousands of uses in His hands. We can help soften, heal, separate, remove impurities, fill, preserve, cure and even tan hides!

Jesus also tells us that we are to shine like stars in the universe. Have you looked up and seen the stars in the sky? They twinkle at us from the middle of extreme darkness. Likewise, our world is often dark and we are called to brighten up our spot with the light of God's truth and an attitude of grace.

Jesus also called us sheep. I can relate to this metaphor most of all. Whenever I do something brainless, I belt out a "baaa" sound. Like sheep, we wander off, we make the same mistakes again and again, and we mindlessly follow the crowd. Yet Jesus said when He speaks, we are able to recognize His voice -- just like a sheep obeying a shepherd.

Ok, close your eyes and visualize a salty, shiny, sheep. Now, let's go live like one!

Dear Lord, thanks for giving us clear images that we can relate to. Teach us to be versatile enough to be salty; bold enough to be shiny, and intent enough to listen for Your voice, like sheep In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Related Resources:

Do You Know Him?

Pierced by the Word by John Piper

Love Your Neighbor as Yourself by Mary Lance Sisk

Visit Luann Prater's blog

Application Steps: 

Look for ways to be salt today to those who are hurting.

Ask God to show you ways to shine His Light on others.

Find some quiet time to listen for the Good Shepherd's voice.

Reflections: 

What keeps me from allowing myself to be poured out like salt?

When was the last time my life shined?

How can I be intentional when listening for God's voice?

Power Verses:

Mark 9:50 "Salt is good, but if it loses its saltiness, how can you make it salty again? Have salt in yourselves, and be at peace with each other." (NIV)

Philippians 2:15 "...so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe." (NIV) 

John 10:4 "When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice." (NIV)

© 2008 by Luann Prater. All rights reserved.

Proverbs 31 Ministries

Matthews, NC 28105

www.proverbs31.org
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

September 11, 2008

A Dime in my Pocket

Karen Ehman

"Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I call to you all day long."

Psalm 86:3 (NIV)

Devotion:

Do you remember pay phones? My kids are just sure I'm ready for the senior citizen's discount when they hear me speak of them. But maybe you're one of my fellow 'old folks' and know exactly what I'm talking about. They hung on the walls at restaurants and airports; in shopping malls and at gas stations. When you needed to get a message to someone back home that the ball game was over or the outing was finished, you dug for the dime your mother (being the proper parent she was) always made sure resided in your jean's pocket. Then you reached for the receiver, slipped your other hand up to the slot, dropped the silver coin in and dialed. Soon help, or a ride, was on the way.

I used my dimes sparingly in the olden days--you know, the 1980's--reserving them only for completely necessary calls and occasional emergencies. In the course of a month, I resorted to my waiting dime only a time or two. If it was to be used, I wanted to make sure it was really worth it. If not, then it stayed conveniently tucked away in my front pocket, waiting for the day it would be called upon to come and rescue me.

Contrast this with today's cell phones and some teenagers. Oh dear, at times it appears those electronic contraptions are glued to their ears!!! These kids don't make a call once or twice a month, but once or twice a minute in some severe cases! They feel free to dial at any time, call at their convenience, and to use their 'phone a friend' lifeline at the drop of a hat. Now, least you think this is going to be a devotion that scolds these talkative teens, let me make my point clear. I actually think they are on to something!

Think with me in terms of our relationship with God. I'm afraid that often I am much more like a teen in the 80's when it comes to calling upon the Lord. I reserve my spiritual dimes for the times I really need Him, making sure it is worth the effort of prayer. (And earnest prayer is sometimes effort, you know!) When I fear I will be spiritually stranded without a ride, feel a bit scared and need someone to rush to my side, or any other such divine emergency, I call upon the Lord. Other times, sadly, I must admit my spiritual cell phone sometimes stays shut.

Instead, my prayer life should emulate the actions of the chatty teens of our current culture. I should feel free to call, text and mobile-to-mobile my Lord about any and everything and, as a result, stay constantly connected to Him throughout the course of my day. I should realize that His line is never busy, His ear never tires and He longs to connect with me more than an occasional time or two a week. I too can call (pray), text (journal), save a message (memorize Scripture) or return a message (praise Him) no matter the time or place! Oh, if only God's presence in my everyday life became as precious and desired as a teen's cell phone use addiction!

How about it, fellow phoner? Perhaps this week when we spy a cell phone, let it trigger our memory of today's key verse. Call upon the Lord. All day long. He will answer every time. No roaming charges, no busy signals and best of all, no dropped calls!

Dear Lord, please forgive me for resorting to prayer only when I need You for something. I resolve now to keep connected with You all through my day. I'll call upon You in times of need as well as when I just want to thank You or spend time with You. You are my only lifeline. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Related Resources:

Do You Know Him?

For more thoughts on prayer, visit Karen Ehman's blog

The Busy Woman's Guide to Prayer, by Cheri Fuller

Application Steps: 

What other visual reminders can you use to help you build prayer into your day?

What does "praying without ceasing" look like? Why don't we do this more often?

Reflections: 

When do you find yourself most often calling upon the Lord? In good times to praise Him or in bad times to beg Him?

Power Verses:

Psalm 17:6, "I call on you, O God, for you will answer me; give ear to me and hear my prayer." (NIV)

Jeremiah 33:3, "Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know." (NIV)

I Thessalonians 5:16-18, "Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." (KJV)

© 2008 by Karen Ehman. All rights reserved.

Proverbs 31 Ministries

Matthews, NC 28105

www.proverbs31.org

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

September 12, 2008

The Pain of Rejection

by Tracie Miles

"Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or God? Or am I still trying to please men?

If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ."

Galatians 1:10 (NIV)

Devotion:

If there is one thing that can make someone feel like they don't have a friend in the world, it's rejection. Whether it be rejection from a spouse, a co-worker's gossip, a friend's betrayal, an unappreciative boss, an unfriendly neighbor, or a teenager who suddenly doesn't want to be seen with you anymore - rejection hurts.

A few years ago I was dealt a harsh blow of rejection from someone I thought I had a positive relationship with. In the midst of this rejection, I became so focused on my hurt feelings that it became nearly impossible to think clearly, or rationally.

For most of us, when we are drowning in the pain of being rejected by someone, our thoughts are often, "How could that person have done/said that to me? Do they know how much I have done for them? Have they taken a hard look at themselves?"

Do those words sound familiar? They certainly do to me. These are some of the exact thoughts I had when I was thinking vengeful thoughts about my "rejecter."

My human nature wanted to get back at the one who hurt me. Maybe give them a taste of their own medicine. But God had a different plan in mind.

God desired for me to handle this challenging and painful situation with understanding and compassion. He wanted me to pray for that person, and see them as His child who had made a mistake and didn't realize how their words and actions affected others. He wanted me to forgive them.

Yes, that was His plan, but I didn't really buy into it at first. Instead, I chose to harbor anger and pierce the ears of my family and friends with all of my woes, forcing them to be an involuntary guest at my ongoing pity party. I chose to feel sorry for myself, and shed as many tears as possible, as if that would drown out the hurt.

However, despite my procrastination in handling things God's way, over the next few weeks, God repeatedly intervened and reassured me of His love. I stumbled across sweet Bible verses dealing with overcoming rejection. My weekly Bible study topic was on rejection, my daily email devotions touched on rejection, and my pastor's sermon was about rejection that Sunday.

Could all of those things just have been incredible coincidences? Definitely not! I knew it was the awesome work of my Lord and Savior, who cared about me enough to let me know that He was with me during this time of turmoil. He gently reassured me of my worth in His eyes, and reminded me that I did not need 'man's' approval, only His approval.

God's love helped me to wash away the pride from my eyes, and allow Him to wash my soul with His mercy and grace. In His arms, I was reminded that I am His and that He loves and adores me despite my flaws and insecurities. As a result, I was able to take my focus off of my rejecter, and instead focus on my approver -- Jesus.

Isn't it so comforting to know that you never have to try to earn Jesus' approval, and that you can live with a peace of mind knowing that He accepts you, no matter what.

Although Jesus may not always approve of our actions or choices, He always approves of us as a person whom He created, whom He loves, and whom He thought was important enough to die for.

Dear Lord, I pray for Your wisdom on how to deal with situations in which I feel hurt, rejected and worthless. Fill me with Your love so that I can love others, even when I do not feel loved in return. Please help me to remember that the only One who I need to seek approval from is You, and that it is in You alone, that I can truly believe that I am worthy and unconditionally loved. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Related Resources:

Do You Know Him?

Reinventing Your Rainbow, by Tracie Miles

The Five Languages of Apology: How to Experience Healing in All Your Relationships by Gary Chapman and Jennifer Thomas

Visit Tracie's Blog for more encouragement.

Application Steps: 

Ask God for the supernatural ability to forgive your rejecter. Remember who you are in God's eyes is all that really matters.

Reflections: 

Are you allowing the opinion of one person to affect how you feel about yourself?

Power Verses:

1 Kings 8:50 And forgive your people, who have sinned against you; forgive all the offenses they have committed against you, and cause their conquerors to show them mercy. (NIV)

1 Thessalonians 2:4 On the contrary, we speak as men approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel. We are not trying to please men but God, who tests our hearts. (NIV)

© 2008 Tracie Miles. All rights reserved.

Proverbs 31 Ministries

Matthews, NC 28105

www.Proverbs31.org
Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk