Author Topic: FAVORITE Duty Pistol  (Read 44745 times)

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: FAVORITE Duty Pistol
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2010, 11:49:02 PM »
<sigh> Like Larry I started our with a S&W Model 10, unlike Larry, I LOVED that gun! Mine was the 4" HB with factory sites. You ever have a gun you felt like you couldn't miss with? Well that one was mine! For some reason that gun would hit absolutely anything I pointed it at! I miss that gun. It was followed by a Security Six, that was pretty good but not in the same class as that Model 10.

Currently required to carry issued Beretta 92D. A POS but barely adequit...and tough enuff to withstand the worst the job can throw at it. It's a miserable thing to shoot though with a DA only trigger and a 10# plus pull.  :P
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2010, 02:45:46 AM »
You prolly need to carry that Smith as a Back up in case your slide cracks on that Baretta.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2010, 10:26:11 PM »
My favorite duty pistol was one I purchased when starting full-time law enforcement (check out my first duty pistol on that post).The gun I purchased when starting full time may be considered my first duty one, but you'd have to put an asterisk by it. The gun was a blued 4" Mark III Colt Trooper, loved the heft and feel of her over the Model 66 S&W my new Chief of Police tried to talk me into, besides it was a COLT. After about six years carrying it in 1979, I sent it into Ma-Na-Port Arms, had it mag-na-ported and had a met-a-life finish put on it(love this finish-wears like a diamond, think it looks better than stainless steel). After gettin it back, I installed a set of Trapper springs and slapped a set of Pachmayr grips on it. Sweet shootin'. Carried that gun  the rest of my career, except when the city bought some Mod 66 S&W and I had to carry the Smith a couple of years. Liked the Colt better, still have it. If I were to wear a badge now, I'd strap 'ol whisperin death' back on, if not it would be one of my all metal Colt or Kimber 45 acp's-not a fan of the plastic/polymers. The Colt Trooper could shoot em all; 38 Spec wadcutters, 125 grain 357 Remingtons, 140 grain 357 Winchester Silvertips, 156 grain cast bullets over 13-15 grains of 2400, ate em all with authority and accurate. Probably why I like the grips and feel of my Dragoons and '60 Army C&B's over the '51 Colt Navy and Colt Model P frame, they feel more like my trusty Colt Trooper. Same thing with my old model Ruger Vaquero over my new model Vaquero, more heft-ya feel like yer holding onto something. In my opinion Colt should still be makin the Trooper, Python too.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 02:20:07 AM »

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2010, 09:58:33 AM »
Beretta slide failures came about as a result of SEAL Team Six and 'hot' sub-gun ammunition.

The fix was an over-sized hammer pin and a cut in the slide that would wedge the errant slide, should there be a separation - and a correspondingly larger cut in the grip panel to acomodate the pin's head.

Beretta didn't do 'that' for civilian use until the M92FS came about.

Fired with standard GI Ball - they're no problem, whatsoever.

I bought a GI-issue one from Beretta, under a special program available to Army competitive shooters in the early '90's - the difference is - I bought mine to carry and use, while others bought them to put away and sell later.

Thanks to a fairly 'vigorous' shooting schedule at Fort Bragg - I wore out 5 barrels - but never the slide nor the frame - and we'd Magna-fluxed it to be sure.

Snipping two coils from the mainspring helped, too - but so did a spring kit - and no one I know ever shot them double-action unless the Course of Fire called for it and someone was looking hard.

What might I prefer?

The M1911A1 and the Browning High-Power of my earlier days - but I've never found fault with the M9.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline USBP1969

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2011, 06:19:58 PM »
Favorite of all I carried was an issue 4" Ruger Security Six with Hogue Nylon grips.  It was tough, reliable and it helped me win a bunch of matches over the years.

That said, If I could have purchased and chosen my own, it would have been a Model-58 S&W .41 Magnum with a custom low profile Patridge front sight.

KW
Lose Sight = Lose Fight

Offline Utah Bob

• Top Active Citizen
    • Lazy Bob Ranch
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2011, 09:28:37 AM »
I carried on duty, at various times:
Model 10
Model 64
Model 39
Model 19
Model 686
Colt Det. Special
Model 36
Glock 17
Glock 19
Glock 26
Glock 21

My absolute favorite was the Model 19. Sweetest and most accurate gun I've ever fired.

But the best caliber one, and the one I'd rather have in a shtf gunfight, was the Glock 21. ;)
Rocky Mountain Warthog
BOLD #1
GAF #6
Proprietor - Lazy Bob Ranch
No cattle, No crops, No problem

Offline Capt. Jack McQuesten

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2011, 07:11:53 PM »
In my 30+ years on the job, I carried me quite a passel of duty guns......I started out with a S&W Model 28 "Highway Patrolman" and I must say that is still my most favorite revolver out of the many I carried. For autos, it would be a toss up between the Browning Hi Power or my Sig P228...
SASS #56937  BOLD #527  RATS #120  WARTHOG
"There's payment to be made to them thats done this...."

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2011, 02:59:37 PM »
I enjoyed the Smith revolvers, 1911's, and Glock 9s and 40s.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Willie Dixon

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SSS #245 STORM #362 SCORRS C&BWarthog
    • my Pinterest, specifically cowboy related board
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2011, 08:42:34 PM »
My favorite, which I carried while doing LE for the USCG was my Kimber.  Luckily, we're laxed enough in the USCG that when I showed my "disdain" for the Beretta, and most double actions, my Gunner's Mate Chief asked me if I could do the advanced course with my Kimber.  I did, and from then on, I carried her through my career.

Now, going into the NPS as an LE ranger, I'm hoping they'll do the same.  Like posted before, if it's ever needed, you don't need 14 rounds if you know how to aim ;)
At 25, you need to follow dreams or you'll regret it later. 

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2011, 09:03:30 PM »
I had to qualify with my Glock which, I mention this often, I hate. I shot a 94% so felt pretty good about that but I still don't like the gun.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Willie Dixon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2011, 10:32:01 PM »
I agree Shotgun,

there's something about that backstrap, lack of hammer, and especially that "plasticky" feel that makes me just don't like them.  I know they're great guns.

It's just growing up on SAAs, S&W police's, and my 1911 models... I dunno guess it's like Boss says in "Open Range:"  "I like mine with a little heft to 'em."

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”

Offline USBP1969

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2011, 10:00:18 AM »
"Now, going into the NPS as an LE ranger, I'm hoping they'll do the same."

I wish you the best of luck Willie in your new career.  During the nine years I was stationed at FLETC as a Firearms Instructor for the Border Patrol it was very difficult for folks to get into NPS, except for temporary seasonal positions.  Congratulations.

The federal Gov't tends to be very rigid when it comes to personally owned weapons and even different (read better) ammunition than that being issued by the agency.  I hope that you are successful.

I always preached that an LEO should be permitted to carry what he feels best to save his bacon as long as he can qualify with it at a minimum off and 80%.  Technically it might not be better, but he will shoot better and be more confident with the one he trusts.

kent
Lose Sight = Lose Fight

Offline Willie Dixon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2011, 07:29:30 PM »
I always preached that an LEO should be permitted to carry what he feels best to save his bacon as long as he can qualify with it at a minimum off and 80%.  Technically it might not be better, but he will shoot better and be more confident with the one he trusts.
kent

Amen, Kent.  That's my feelings too.  But if they want me to shoot steel shells out my Kimber, I'm definitely just going to ruin a Glock or Beretta. ;)

Offline sheltonj

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2011, 07:02:36 PM »
Carried several models and calibres.
My favorites are my current carry.

Handgun:
1. Custom 1911 .45 ACP; 5"
2. Glock .45 GAP G38 4"
Rifle
1. Rock River LAR, .223

Shotgun as an entry tool.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2012, 10:34:04 AM »
Wow, now that's a tough one.. Probably a tie between a Para Ordnance P13 alloy frame and Glock 20 10mm.  I shot much better with the P13, but the Glock was my 17 shot (had +2 base plate) .41 magnum since I used top end loads.....  As far as best all around duty weapon, I LOVED and still do love, the 469 Smith.  I shoot it better than any other 9mm or 40 S&W I ever carried.  I mostly carried it as an off duty piece in patrol, but did carry it as a primary in detectives.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Eloy Santa Cruz

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2012, 12:13:45 AM »
My favorite duty gun was my colt 1911. We were first issued the S&W Mod 19. Once off probation, I carried a 4" Python. The department began issuing the S&W 686 when it came out; a fine revolver but I stuck with my python for a few more years before I switched to my 1911. I carried it untill the department forced us to the Glock Mod 22 .40 cal. in the early 90's. Thankfully I still have my python and 1911.
My monikor comes from my family's former ranch Santa Cruz Farms located outside Eloy, Arizona. The Santa Cruz river runs through the land.
    " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them" ---John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 899
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2016, 10:24:13 AM »
Starting up an old thread, but then I'm new to the forum.

When I became a detective in 1977 I bought a lightly used Colt Commander. There were no light weight Commanders back then. You either had a Commander, with an alloy frame or a Combat Commander with a steel frame. Anyway this one was from the late 1960s and was as close to stock condition as a used gun could be. Had my gunsmith work on it a bit and I carried it as a detective, a member of the academy staff and as the department's chief firearms instructor and range master.

It shows it's miles and round count but it never failed me in terms of reliability and function. Even persuaded a few outlaws to give up with it (LOL).

Dave

Offline Galen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2016, 04:08:24 PM »
S&W model 10 on duty and a 2" model 15 off duty. Don Hume border patrol holster / dump pouch with 6 rds. Got me to retirement!

Offline Bat 2919

• G Man / Bat Masterson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Sand Creek Raiders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2016, 08:02:37 PM »
My favorite was also my first.  Went into the Army Military Police at 18 and Uncle Sam issued me my first 1911 and I've kept coming back to "Old Slapsides" all my life.  I had shot a few revolvers before that but never carried one.  Went into my first civilian department while still attending college,  They required .357 revolvers and I bought a S&W M19, carried it for a while but soon we had the powers that be convinced that one of these new fangled semi autos would really be OK.  Changed departments a time or two and had to buy a S&W 686, only to return to my 1911.  Found myself in the same boat coming into the department I've been with for the last 26 years.  I did still have the option of a revolver but went with a SIG 220, replaced it with a SIG 229 when they came out.  Not too long after that we (noticing a theme here) convinced admin that the 1911 really was acceptable. 

None of the GI .45's I carried were made by Colt but I didn't get much choice about what Sam issued.  Every other hand gun I've carried I had to buy.  My first few 1911's were all made by Colt but the two I carry now Ultra CDP II (everyday) and TLE/RL II (in uniform) are Kimbers.   I'm almost ready to retire and may just pull the pin early if they ever do get around to issuing Glocks to everyone on the department.  Even at department pricing 650 (current authorized strength) Combat Tupperware pistols represent a significant investment, so I may just make it to the planned retirement date.
Happy Trails

G Man / Bat Masterson
NRA Endowment
SASS #2919L
AZSA #11L
NCOWS #530
BOLD# 276
GAF #750

Offline Ketchums Clayton

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2022, 10:37:36 PM »
Every good thread could become zombie-like. :)

My favorite was my personally-owned, duly authorized Browning High Power MkIII in 40 S&W. Wonderful sidearm which I satill have, and yes, I removed and threw away the magazine safety (with our armorer's blessing).
Black Jack Ketchum - just hanging around Clayton, NM

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com