Author Topic: FAVORITE Duty Pistol  (Read 44748 times)

Offline Elmer Watson

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: FAVORITE Duty Pistol
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2008, 10:52:54 PM »
My favorite was my last personally owned weapon before we went ro carring department issue only.  It was A blue S&W model 13 4 inch .357 magnum.  The front sight was adjusted for the 125 grain JHP .357 Reemington load so that it was dead on.  I never had to worry adjustable sights getting knocked out of kilter.  Then we went to issued S&W model 59's for two months.  Due to big problems we changed to model 66's as S&W could not refund the cost of the 9MM's.  Again problems showed up but our department armorers worked OT and fixed them.  I guess S&W was just turning out junk for awhile.  My old model 13 and my old model 36 somehow kept me company.  I never had to use them so I never had to explain to IA why I was carrying them.
BOLD # 864
RATS # 373

Offline Yul Catchum

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2008, 11:20:24 AM »
I'd have to say my 4 inch S&W Model 28, the old Highway Patrolman was my preferred carry gun. It adjusted a few attitudes during its career.    My FAVORITE was my 5-inch Model 27 Nickle plated S&W that I ruined with a squib load.

My most accurate was my 4 inch model 64 (?) the stainless 38 caliber version of the Model 10. Tacks, I tell ya. It drove TACKS !

Offline Handsome Dave

• Law Dawg #919
  • Active citizen
  • Maj. General Bryan Grimes, CSA
    • Posse profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2008, 10:34:48 PM »
My current is my favorite, SW99 .40 cal. S&W/Walther Hybrid. Sucker is ACCU rate
Cpt. David A.(Handsome Dave) Grimes - BOLD #919
Warrenton, Missouri
Missouri Territorial Rangers
Great Great Nephew of Maj. Gen. Bryan Grimes, CSA

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 03:35:13 AM »

Offline aryfrosty

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2008, 06:48:33 PM »
Cap'n, I got into this post late so try to overlook me if I re-cover old ground. When I began in 1971 it was "run what you brung". I had a beautiful Colt *.357mag* 4" for several years. In 1991 the PD bought our first issue guns, which were Beretta 96D Centurions. In 1993, becaue we had officers too dumb to appreciate the Berettas we went to Sig P-229s. I retired in 1995 and the agency is still carrying Sigs. The biggest...only...change is that they went to a LaserMax guide rod system. Now that I'm "old and I' nervous and cast from the service I carry anything I like. Usually it's a M-342 Smith or a Detonics CombatMaster if I dress up. Regards
When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains...and the women come out to cut up what remains; Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains. And go to your God like a Soldier.

Offline Angel_Eyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2008, 04:16:11 AM »
If only we could have!!! As you probably know, us British police were issued with a 15" wooden 'truncheon' which, along with a facility to talk your way out of trouble, was the only weapon of self defense we had. (Mind you, I was incredibly fast over a short distance!)
Having said that, I did carry a rather sturdy 5-cell flashlight as well!!

Regards, UKshooter.
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

Offline IT KIDD

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2008, 11:04:47 PM »
pards, now with a  florida ccw on hot day, most of the year in southwest fl, carry and love my glock md. 36, .45 acp!! had el paso leather make me a double 1876 set shoulder holsters for my .45 black powder frame, 4 3/4 colts.  feels good to have a colt .45 single action under each arm while going to church on sunday!!  el paso saddlery makes a quality single action shoulder single or double!!

Offline aryfrosty

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2008, 11:46:48 PM »
I knew this post would get me in trouble.  ;D  Every time I read the answers I come up with another favorite. I could write on here for a while. Looking back over the years I know one of the best I ever carried was a satin ncikel Combat Commander. It was accurate and easy to carry.
When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains...and the women come out to cut up what remains; Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains. And go to your God like a Soldier.

Offline dek

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2009, 06:24:19 PM »
Retired federal agent. Issued Ruger Speed Six, stainless in 1984 and carried .357 mag rounds from whoever got the
contract that year. In 1992 we converted to Glock 19s. When I retired in 2004 I was carrying a Glock 26 which is
what I still carry. I will say that my favorite was the Ruger with the standard grips and the Tyler "T" grip adapter. It was
powerful, supremely accurate, felt great in the hand and worked flawlessly with the Safariland speed loaders.

Offline pasayten jack

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2009, 11:27:31 PM »
A quality 1911 platform is my favorite and what I carry today. I've been carrying a Les Baer Premier II for about the last four years and carried a Colt Series 80 for about four years before the Baer.

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2009, 09:32:01 AM »
A S&W M 28, 6" barrel, highly tuned. Shot a Rape Suspect at 80 yards, he was shooting at me at the time.
I also like either one of 2 matching Colt SAAs, 5 1/2', blue, tuned. My SASS guns when playing. My favorite carry guns.
Gangbangers hate those SAAs. For some reason they're scared to death of'm?????

BTW, I have to carry a Glock at my current job. I hate it. I ground off most of the finger groves to fit my paw better. I hate that Glock.
I need a new extra mag and they want $30 for one. Oh, did I mention that I hate my Glock.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Ol Law Dawg

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2009, 11:40:04 AM »
First gun? 4" Colt Diamond Back, $108 new. Oh yea, that was back in 1969. Last gun was a state issued Glock Mdl 30, which I  carried until I retired last April. Favorite gun WWII Colt 1911A1 Army issue. Got it at a County Attorney's auction for $75, it had been used in an armed robbery. Still have every gun I carried for the past 40 years except the Glock.

Have fun and stay safe......
Nebraska Territorial Rangers
BOLD #971
GAF #705

Offline Buffalo Bruce

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2009, 09:11:58 PM »
I started with a Mdl 15 Combat Masterpiece. Realized that wasn't enough gun, bought a Mdl 19 4" Combat Magnam. In those days (late 60's -early 70's) we carried the 110gr Supervel (1700fps) This lead me to my favorite a 6" Mdl 27 which was backed up by a .380 PPK/s. In the mid 90's we went to the .40 Glock which was OK. I wore the 27 on my last day on the job. Nothing like it with the dress blouse and full Sam Browne belt.

My current favorite (after a week at Gunsite) is a Kimber 1911.

Buffalo Bruce

Offline cleoleo

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2009, 04:30:22 AM »
I got out of the service and went on duty in the late 60's on a dept. in So. Calif.  At that time  we had to provide all our own gear, including uniforms and side arm. My first handgun was an old used 4" Colt Trooper in .38 special.  As soon as I saved up enough, I  bought a 4" S&W Highway Patrolman .357 (N frame), which I carried for the remainder.  I am now retired, bailed out of "Kal-if-ornia",  and live out in the country in beautiful East Texas, where I was born. I'm still packing that N frame (now with stag grips and .357 mag. ammo), and have never felt "out gunned" as long as it's within reach.
And, God Bless Texas!

Offline Marshal Cy Clone

• Marshal Cy Clone
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2010, 09:41:44 PM »
Its  a hard toss up between my 1911 and my sig p220.  I love em both..............but lately ive been cuddling up with a sig p225/p6 german surplus police issue that I picked up and its becoming my favorite off duty........

Marshal Cy Clone
SASS #37067
B.O.L.D #36

Full Time Kansas LawDawg
Badge #118

Offline Eagle Eyes Jefferson

• Chaplain for Department of the Atlantic
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2010, 11:41:35 AM »
Let's see....favorite duty weapon would have to go to the most fun to carry and shoot.......SW model 629 .44 magnum w/4in. bbl. At the range everyone knew when I was qualifying......BOOM, BOOM!!!!!!!!! the looks on a bad guy's face when looking down that .44 barrel.......priceless    ;D
Eagle Eyes Jefferson
Chaplain for Department of the Atlantic
GAF #478
Department of the Atlantic
BOLD #893

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2010, 04:25:51 PM »
EE, I carried a factory nickel Model 58 41 Mag. at the last PD I worked at before I went to work for the County. Night Quals were like a 106 mm Recoiless rifle going off. The range was open air, but it has a sheetmetal roof, LOUD!
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Jed Cooper

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2010, 04:12:49 PM »
For 30 years on my dept, we had to carry issue. That said, my favorite was a nickle S&W mod. 19 4 inch. Went through several wheel guns before we went to auto loaders. IMHO real guns ain't made of aluminum, or plastic. If I had my druthers it would be a 1911 hands down. A guy don't need a lot of rounds if he hits his target.    Just my thoughts,   Jed     
"Jed Cooper" aka: Dave Hollandsworth

Olde Cop,  NCOWS #2841, Maker of BIG SMOKE, GAF #500
F&AM PM, NRA Life, FOP - Retired , BOLD #615,* Warthawg! ,Hirams Rangers #31, 1860 Henry #97, STORM#351
Marshal - Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society,
http://greatlakesfmc.home.insightbb.com/scarlet.htm
Posse Member - http://home.insightbb.com/~greatlakesfmc/index.htm

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2010, 04:37:44 PM »
+1
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Lawful Larry

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2010, 04:21:08 PM »
I  started out with a S&W model 10 and didn't much like it.  So I swithced when the sheriff approved us to buy our own weapons.  I went out and got a Sig 226 and fell in love with it.  I was very disappointed when the sheriff went to an issue gun.  But it turned out just as well.  It was the  H&K USP 40 and it was love at first sight.  I ended up retiring 5 years later and this was my retirement gun.
Just Another Voice in the Crowd!

Offline rodeo kid

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2010, 12:58:26 AM »
I worked 16 yrs as a Deputy Sheriff and 8 yrs as a District Attorney Invest. in Oklahoma. Retired since 1992. Carried a 4" Colt Python when in uniform and a Browning Hi-Power when working plain clothes. Back up to both was a Colt Cobra. I loved them all and still have them but my favorite was my Python, it saved my life.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com