Author Topic: Buffalo guns  (Read 14452 times)

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Buffalo guns
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2006, 08:39:00 AM »
There's one more company to throw into the mix. The Armi-Sport Sharps from Taylor's. These aren't as fancy as a Shiloh or the Ped's, but they do shoot pretty good. they make a pretty good Repro of a typical "Business" gun and aren't quite as expensive as the other two mentioned. My favorite shop owner used to have trouble holding onto his personal gun at the end of each season because he did so well with it that guys would pester the heck out of him to sell it to them. A decent set of sights and they are pretty competitive............Buck 8) ::) ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2006, 09:05:08 AM »
They also make that 50-70 Carbine I want, might have to see 'bout savin' my pennies and gettin' one to hunt deer with.  I doubt FCK is really going to buy me a Shilo 50-70, but as we know, the answer to the free gun is yes I'll take the Shilo. ;D  But would take the Taylor's for free also, hint, hint hint.  Would be glad to give a report back on how it works in a state that allows a proper deer gun. ::)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2006, 09:22:35 AM »
...modenr compitition such as the buffalo hunt's such as NCOWs puts on does not really repersent true hide hunting because the ranges are to far.  Most Buffalo for hides were shot at the 150-300 yard range.  Yes some were shot at longer ranges, but mostly as a show off for others.
Del,
Always appreciate your input and data, but I'm a tad bit confused on the above comment about NCOWS Buffalo Shoots and the distance they are shot at. Please explain, which "...buffalo hunt's such as NCOWs puts on..." are you referring to? Can you give us specific info; range location, sponsoring Posse, event, etc.?
Best regards and good shooting!
'Ol Gabe
NCOWS #925

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 01:53:39 PM »

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2006, 09:32:05 AM »
I guess I was given a bum steer, someone told me they shot out to a 1000 yards in these at Akley.  I'll will give castor oil to that person as soon as I can remember who it was.   ::) I think some one mixed up the concept of buffalo shoots and true long range. 

Maybe next summer I can get up there, don't look like it will happen this year.

There is or was also a group up in North-East Nebraska that did or do put on one that they shoot to 800.  They are not NCOWS and I think were doing this even before NCOWS was formed
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Dirty Dan Dawkins

• Wyoming or bust!
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Mid Ga's electric cowboy
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2006, 01:09:20 PM »
I have another qusestion. How about slings? I am sure Buffalo Bill didn't have a gun cart. How do they attach and is the sling attachment on the left side of the action historically accurate or a development later on? Would a sling of a long rifle type be most period correct? That is, one that slips over the butt of the rifle and tying off on the barrel at some point.
I play cards with J.D. Shellnut....chief of Police...SO get off my a**!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2006, 01:40:02 PM »
If someone put a sling on a Non-Milatary Sharps it wouldn't surpise me, but I've never seen one in a picture or read about one.  Slings on any non-milatary rife was not common in the west, there yes.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2006, 04:39:14 PM »
Del, no worries,
Just curious about the comment as mentioned, I can see how someone could easily think ALL Big Bore Shoots at Ackley might be considered 'Buffalo Shoots'.
The CVR's, the NCOWS Posse who puts on most all Shoots there, has a solid event list for anyone with a Big Bore Rifle looking to get some 'trigger time' in on a weekend: Buffalo Shoots from 100-400 yards, NRA-Style Silhouette with Rams, Chickens, Pigs and Turkeys from 230 m to 500 plus m, 100 yard Bulls Eye Shoots and two 'Strand's Stand' Mid & Long Range events, targets ranging from 200-1,000 yards with the 1,000 yard target being a full-sized yearling Buffalo. Perhaps this is where the thoughful suggestion of '1,000 yard Buffalo Shoots' came from, it is a challenge to hit that Buff' from 1,000 yards but our NCOWS folk do it regularly!
Del, if you ever get a chance to come over and shoot at any of these events, your lunches are on me!
Best regards and good shooting!
'Ol Gabe
Proud Family Sponsor of the CVR STRAND'S STAND MID & LONG RANGE SHOOT, June 23-25 & August 18-20, hope to see you all on the Firing Line!

Offline Dirty Dan Dawkins

• Wyoming or bust!
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Mid Ga's electric cowboy
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2006, 05:59:01 PM »
I think Del should bring the ol' chuck wagon and let dinner be on him. Shame for that exstensive collection of cookware go to waste.
I play cards with J.D. Shellnut....chief of Police...SO get off my a**!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2006, 06:40:45 PM »
No chuckwagon, I and Gopher Grease run a Hell on Whells Portable Resteraunt, It gives more leaway for they types of food.   ;D  I get tired of the 4 B's and they don't give us as much chance to show off. ::)

The bad thing is when I set up I'm stuck in camp.  Spent 3 days at Rock Creek staion and never moved 300 feet from my fire till I was ready to leave except one quick trip to the grocery store.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Wolfgang

• Top Active Citizen
    • The Desperate Hot Springs News
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2006, 10:32:26 PM »
Hiya there pards,  . . . I been away from the home fire and the internet for a couple of weeks and just lookin' around at what's been goin' on in my absence.  A good thread. Good info and comments. Thanks for postin', . . . I'm interested in  "buffalo huntin" and Buffalo Guns myself as a concept  ( not to actually shoot a buffalo  :o ).  My .45-70 is the right barral of my Husquavarna SxS which I sleaved down.  Haven't had the chance to shoot it at even 100 yards yet, . . but will rectify that soon.  I have heard that the .45- 2 7/8  was the buffalo hunters favorite cartridge.  Not good for anything except killing buffalo at 150 - 300 yards with one shot kills out of heavy rifles.  Which is what it was for.  Good shootin', . . all them big black loaded cartridges  :)
Beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it.

Offline Pitspitr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2006, 11:12:20 AM »
Hello the fire. I don't get over to this section of CASCity often but glad I found this thread.
I own 4 Buff rifles 2 Pedersoli replicas (Sharps and a Trapdoor) and 2 originals (Trapdoor, and a NYSM roller in .50-70)
FCK, after I got the Pedersoli trapdoor I came to understand what you were talking about when you said the lines, ect. of the Pedersoli were different from the original. I was disapointed in the differences between the Pedersoli trapdoor and the original, but I'm still glad I bought it. I actually enjoy shooting it more. If I had to wait untill I could get a Shilo I still wouldn't have my sharps replica, so I'm glad I got it too. I bought both replicas with Cabela's Bucks and that's the only way I was going to be able to get them...now if Cabela's only handled Shilo's :-\ Besides the Pedersoli was enough less money I could justify a RHO scope for it. May not have been many (if any) Buffalo runners used a scope, but I like it anyway. Now as to shooting the originals I think I like shooting the Rolling Block better. I'm not really sure why, I just do.
As to gun leather, I might not have paid $800 for it, but my pride of ownership is that it looks and functions decently and I can say I made it myself. ;)
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2006, 11:21:38 AM »
Telascopes were used a lot in the late days up in Montana, also there seems to have been a lot of 40 calibers used up there.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com