Author Topic: Plinking  (Read 20837 times)

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Handmade Pistol Grips
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Plinking
« on: September 19, 2004, 12:04:07 AM »
Today after we set up for tomorrow's match, Badlands Bud and I did some practice and some plinking.  We were shooting at an empty 2-liter plastic soda bottle at about 30 yards (end of the bay).  That was plain old fun!  Bud was shootin a Glock that he's using for Steel Challenge and I was using my cowboy guns.  No timer, no pressure, just shoot the target.  It really jumped!

That was sure a treat.

Any of you do any plinking like that?

Doc

Offline J.D.Cayhill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Plinking
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2004, 08:32:06 AM »
I'm with ya Doc! A group of us used to get into some fun sessions of "Limb Cutting" after shooting trap years ago. It was a fallow the leader thing with good .22 rimfires where the leader would pick out a sapling and call out the given branch and try to cut it. We would all bet a nickle just for bragging rights and the shooter that cut the limb completely off the sapling won the pot. We used to shoot in a old abandoned gravel pit and there was plenty of scrub saplings to shoot at. It really improved your shooting skills and to this day I am still a junky for good accurate .22 rifles.
"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man."
SBSS #638
BOSS #44
STORM #142
RATS #89

Offline Prof. Bullspit

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2004, 09:27:21 AM »
Until I started CAS plinking was about the only kind of shooting I did besides the odd target to test loads and zero. After matches I will often roll objects around on the backstop of the berm just for fun.

The trick to making things jump is to hit just under them.  Aluminum cans just whimper if you hit them, but hit just under them and they fly!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:53:50 PM »

Offline Micheal Fortune

• Top Active Citizen
    • Micheal Fortune
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2004, 09:47:59 AM »
   Absolutely!  Lots of fun in the plinking world.  At our last match during the lunch break a few of us got together to shoot and watch one of our pards new SW 1911 copy.  Great fun.

I grew up shooting cans off the fence post.  Around here, best in the spring you hit the fields and shoot gophers.  They move and it’s a great way to pick up your skill level.

As long as your not shooting at something you’re not supposed to, like road signs or something, it’s a good thing.
Saloon Keeper, Gambler, Shootist
Sun River Rangers Shooting Society / SASS 60159 / R.O.-1 / SBSS 1685 / G.O.F.W.G. 89 / RATS 58 / KGC 4 /

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 106
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2004, 03:45:08 PM »
I like to plink with my .22' s when I find the time.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2004, 06:41:00 PM »
I enjoy plinking with my grandson.  I use to a lot more of it.  It sure is a lot more relaxing than serious practice. ;D

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Handmade Pistol Grips
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2004, 07:43:43 PM »
Will, I guess that depends on how seriously you take your plinking!  Side bets make for some pretty intense range sessions  ::) :o

Doc

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2004, 07:49:50 PM »
I got a good one fer ya, folks in my area and south will understand, you folks up north won't.  We have a tree around here most call hedge, some call Osage Orange, Frnch decents call it Boise de Acr, Texian's call it bodearc and  science folks call it Maclura pomifera. (no google here Slim. ;D)

Well case ya don't know it has a dense green fruit on it bout the size of a grapfruit and it ain't good fer nothing, except squirrels tear it apart ta get the seeds.  Well apply some high peed kinetic energy ta it and they explode.  My favorite rifle fer this is my 375 Winchester Big Bore in a 94 carbiiine.  A cast flat nose of 255 grain at around 1900 fps really kills them dead.   (Yes it's got a bit of recoil) :o

And since this is the Tree Planters State, Ole J. Sterling Morton would be proud.  The dam of the pounds I use for backstops have got these thick growing on them ta prevent erosion and provid wildlife habbytat.  The one that I been usin' fer thirty years has a thicket so thick the deer walk around it.  ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2004, 09:43:08 AM »
Yesterday, my wife brought home a bunch of zuccini. Most of it is too big to eat. She said she is going to feed it to the chickens. But, i am going to shoot it, then feed it to the chickens. I haven't decided what calibers I am going to use yet. Any suggestions?

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2004, 10:19:51 AM »
Somethin' with a light fast bullet, kinda like ya use on Prairie Dogs,  22-250, 243 with vermet bullets. ;D  They really splode when ya shoot them up the arse er a end. :o 

When yer done yust turn the chickens out ta feed, they be ground up, ready ta feed them. :P

The now hard ta find VW air cooled engine cases and the transaxles have enough magnesium in them to flash light a flash bulb.  Recomend a 243 with Hornaday 80 gr FMJ's running hard at a safe distance.  Be cautious though of grease fires, do drain before shootin',"

TV pluggen in on drop cord with circuit breaker for safety was not inpresive, not like on TV even with 270 and JHP runnin' hard.   :o

One really good one for folks ta see is put spottin' scope on and orange at 100 yards.  Have new shooter wath the orange, hit orange with HV vermit bullet. ;D

The toilet with the 44 mag and hard cast SWC's was ok, just broke chunks out, would not hae wanted ta be settin' on it.  We always clean up the mess afterward, but it is still at our range.  Feel sorry for folks who don't have their own range, don't you Slim?

Don't by pass golf balls, they really do have a use, use mild hadgun as driver, rubber bands go flyin' with HP. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2004, 11:01:13 AM »
Somethin' with a light fast bullet, kinda like ya use on Prairie Dogs,  22-250, 243 with vermet bullets. ;D  They really splode when ya shoot them up the arse er a end. :o 

When yer done yust turn the chickens out ta feed, they be ground up, ready ta feed them. :P
I have a .22 Hornet and Mini-14 that would work for that.

One really good one for folks ta see is put spottin' scope on and orange at 100 yards.  Have new shooter wath the orange, hit orange with HV vermit bullet. ;D
That would be fun.  ;D

The toilet with the 44 mag and hard cast SWC's was ok, just broke chunks out, would not hae wanted ta be settin' on it.  We always clean up the mess afterward, but it is still at our range.  Feel sorry for folks who don't have their own range, don't you Slim?
I have done this. It is fun to break pieces off.
That is one advantage of living in the sticks.

Don't by pass golf balls, they really do have a use, use mild hadgun as driver, rubber bands go flyin' with HP. ;D
I have done this with a .22LR rifle and pistol.

Slim.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2004, 11:09:53 AM »
You gots a Hornet, so do I, the ultimate plinkin' rifle, enough power ta blow things up, fairly quiet, fairly cheap ta shoot.  Ya ever try hittin' things at 400-500 yards with it, I ya ain't ya don't know how it got it's name.  (Go ahead a google that.) ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2004, 11:35:42 AM »
I assume because it has about the "sting" of a hornet at that range. But, I still would not want to be down range from one.

Slim

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2004, 11:53:02 AM »
Nooope, it still should have more power than a 22 LR at that range.   :o

I didn't tell ya ta do this, (Warning lable ta protect me.) but remove yer ear plugs and try it on a calm day.  Fire it, after the bang is gone (not much on a Hornet) that buzzun' noise ya hear is the bullet goin' down range. ;D  Sounds kinda like a Hornet buzzin'. :o
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2004, 11:57:02 AM »
BTW, what kinda Hornet ya got.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2004, 11:58:58 AM »
A NEF Handi-rifle.

Slim

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2004, 12:22:48 PM »
My first Hornet was one, but it said H&R on it.  Traded it for the 94 Big Bore.

Now have a 1885 Low-Wall made in 1900, rebarreled in 1947 with a Springfield Amoury 22 target barrel chambered for Hornet.  Has the Weaver rings that say Tip-Off on them and has to use a screw driver cause it don't have thumb screws.  Old steel Weaver K-12, have a K-4 if I desire ta change the scope.  Before you ask, about 2-2 1/4 inches at 200 yards. ;D

Next question, No it ain't for sale, turned down $650 in 1998 for it. ;D

Downside is it has 0.223 bore, so I am stuck using normal 40 and 45 grain Hornet bullets, not any of those new really neat ones.  But sometimes sacrifices have to be made. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2004, 12:29:45 PM »
I have open sights on mine. I have just plinked with it, not even tried it at a 100 yd target yet.

Slim

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2004, 01:15:21 PM »
That big ol' K-12 makes it look very business like, big scope on a fairly good size rifle, all wood and blued steel, no plastic or lumminum, or even stainless.  Just the kinda rifle verment hunters used 50 years ago, no range findin' gadgets, no power knobs just windage. elevation and parralex.  One round at a time, pick the empty out with yer finger.  Made a leather belt that holds 50 rounds, need a pair of bibs, lace up boots fer the outfit,  maybe a canvas billed hat made ta fit the head, no plastic sizer gizmo. 

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Joyce (AnnieLee)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2004, 09:58:54 PM »
Plinking??

Hmm. For Easter, we went on an Easter egg hunt, with my Marlin rifle.

Summer is the time to blow apart grapefruit, cantaloupe, zucchini, and watermelon.

Pumpkin season is upon us, so you know what we'll be shooting next!

:D

AnnieLee

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Wielder of "Elle KaBong", the WartHog cast iron skillet
Nasty Lady

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com