Author Topic: Shotgun primer size?  (Read 9358 times)

44caliberkid

Shotgun primer size?
« on: June 01, 2006, 10:09:37 AM »
I use a mixed bag of shotshell hulls and have noticed variations in primer pocket size.  Federal hulls seem to take any primer I've tried, Federal, CCI, or Winchester.  I've hed Winchester hulls that have too large a primer hole, barely any tension when the primer is inserted, can seat some with just my fingers.
  Then the big mystery, some Peters hulls, nice paper ones I'd like to use, that have an extremely small primer hole, can't get a primer started into them.  I've never seen Remington primers for sale, though they must have them.  Would R-P primers work in these, why aren't all 209's the same?

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Shotgun primer size?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 11:58:11 AM »
Ain't never measured the things, ain't gonna.  But I think the 209s are 209s.  The difference is the hulls.

All I use is AAs and STS hulls.  It's the same with both.  Some are tight and some aren't.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 07:03:00 PM »
Most of the older, (25 years or more) old Peters and Remingtons use a size 157 primer.  I don't know if they are even made anymore, CCI and Remington are the only brands I've ever seen.

If you want just take a dowel and a "Fired" 209 primer, Put the primer on a flat hard surface, put the hull over it and put the dowel on the inside and hammer it in.  De-prime and load with a 209. 

Used to use that trick on 28 gauge and 10 gauge hulls, had trouble getting CCI 157's and Remingtons didn't have a covered flash hole in theirs.  supossed to be bad with ball powder.  When I found a source for CCI 157's I bought a bunch and used them instead. 

Don't have none left but I bet there is a sleeve or two of CCi 157's in the primer drawer at least 20 years old. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:31:37 PM »

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 07:36:10 PM »
Ho the fire,

I've been hoarding my supply of old Remington 57* primers.  That's Fifty Sever star.  They fit the older Remington and Peters hulls.  I have some old 10ga Remington hulls that they work fine in.

All the new hulls now seem to take the 209 size primers and are pretty much compatable with most brands of 209 primers.  One thing to note about 209 size primers is that some have a slightly swaged look to the end that goes in first.  They will seem loose starting but will hold tight when fully inserted.

A good stout square load of Holy Black won't push pressures high enough to cause problems with primers that aren't real tight.  Just watch for cracked case heads and discard any that have cracks.  Most hulls only load a couple of times before the Genuine Powder burns thru and they are junk then anyway.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 07:39:58 PM »
Yer right Dick, the Remmies ar 57*  the CCi's are 157.  Same size though and the 157 had a covered primer for fine ball powder like HS7.  I had the drawer out moving the bench the other day and they were way back.  Remind me before the GAF Muster and I'll take what I have and give them to Slim and he can pass them on to you.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 08:39:34 PM »
Thanks Delmonico,

That sure beats payin' a hazmat fee.  Whut kin I swap for 'em?

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 10:13:42 AM »
If you remind me just before the Muster in Oct, you can have them to get them out of my way, I won't ever need them again. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com