Author Topic: Powder scale(s)  (Read 8997 times)

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Powder scale(s)
« on: May 22, 2006, 08:55:05 AM »
 I have two powder scales one a balance type that I've been useing since the 1980's and the second an electronic type that was bought eairler this year. Yesterday, for the first time I decided to check and see if there was any variation between the two, imagine my surprise when I discovered that there was a 1/10 grain diffrence between the two, the electronic scale measures 1/10 gr. heavier than does the balance scale.
 Both scales literture says "accurate within 1/10 grain." Which one should I trust the electronic or the balance scale? I am thinking that it should be the balance scale since it depends soley on weight to balance out whereas, I believe that the electronic one is subject to electric impulses and thus may be sligthtly off kilte at times, I did notice, however, that both are disturbed by air movement. any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
Re: Powder scale(s)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 09:10:20 AM »
Cyrille, the electronic scale I have came with a weight where I can check it's accuracy, It can be reset if incorrect.  the balance beam may be a checked with the same weight.  after 20 some years of use, it could be a little off,  the knife edges they balance on may be starting to round off a little.
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 04:08:39 PM »
Once ya lose trust, they're worthless.

I'd throw both 'em away 'n buy a new one.  The most expensive ya kin find.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:34:12 PM »

Offline Silver_Rings

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gunfighter who shoots for fun.
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 03:24:18 PM »
I go along with Ozark Tracker.  My digital scale came with a couple of thest weights that I use to check both my balance scale and the digital scale.  I also bought a set of test weight so that I could use them to test a weight close to that of my load.  Think they cost about $6 at Sportsman Wharehouse.

SR
Gunfighter, SASS 27466, NRA Life, GOFWG, BOSS, RO 1, RO 2

Offline El Peludo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 03:38:06 PM »
One of the suppliers of reloading equipment (maybe Dillon) sells a shield that goes around their electronic scale, to keep most of the (big word warning) extraneous air movement away.  Any device that depends on balance, or senses pressure, will be effected by air movement aroud it; how much depends on the sensitivity and accuracy of the device.  Some labs that I have been in had their scales inside of completely closed cabinets with windows to see them through.
El Peludo (The Hairy Man)
Las Vegas, Nevada Territory
Lifer in: Life, NRA, NAHC, SASS, SBSS,WARTHOG, DIRTY RATS
IBEW(Retired), Shooter since 1955.
             Roop County Cowboy (FF)
             Original Member: Grass Valley Rangers,
             Camp Beale Land and Cattle Company.

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 07:00:52 PM »
I have two powder scales one a balance type that I've been useing since the 1980's and the second an electronic type that was bought eairler this year. Yesterday, for the first time I decided to check and see if there was any variation between the two, imagine my surprise when I discovered that there was a 1/10 grain diffrence between the two, the electronic scale measures 1/10 gr. heavier than does the balance scale.
 Both scales literture says "accurate within 1/10 grain." Which one should I trust the electronic or the balance scale? I am thinking that it should be the balance scale since it depends soley on weight to balance out whereas, I believe that the electronic one is subject to electric impulses and thus may be sligthtly off kilte at times, I did notice, however, that both are disturbed by air movement. any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Ok, I've considered all hints and suggestions, even Arcey's which I quickly discarded I even tried the 20g weight that came with the RCBS eletronic scale in my Pacific Manufactored balance scale It did't register 20g unless 20g means 20 grams and not grains. Soooo I borrowed my nephew's RCBS balance scale  and guess what; both the Pacific & RCBS balance scale are right on! It is the Electronic scale that is OFF at least that is the conclusion that I've reached. Any comments on this lastest post will be studied  Thanks for the help.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 10:43:05 AM »
Sounds like to me they are both within tolerance if you really think about it.  It's gonna take dozens of checks all over the range to be sure.  Don't see how if it's only a 1/10th of a grain all over the range how it's a problem.  Best listen to Arcey and then never check again. ::)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2006, 12:17:38 PM »
I couldn't see where 1/10 of a grain would make much diffrence either unless I would be pushing the envelope, so to speak, but I always stay within the low to midrange of the powder recomendations I never load the lowest or the highest recomended powder charge for the bullet weight I'm shooting.
   I believe Arcey means well, however I'm on a fixed income and will just have to make do with what I have until I at least finish paying for my Henry BB and the mule-eared shotgun and the Walker /Colt one more payment on the Henry and then the shotgun and perhaps around Christmas the Walker. But most of that is contengent on whether we survive hurricane season.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Offline WyrTwister

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 05:07:53 PM »

.1 grain , you are in fine shape .  Now go find something important to worry about .  Like those black helocopters slowly circling your house .  Or , wait , are they big buzzards ?

Seriously , you are cool .   :-)

God bless
Wyr

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 06:52:31 PM »
Thanks for that "cool" answer My lady thinks I'm cool too but she sure knows how to turn on the heat!
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 03:33:41 PM »
Once ya lose trust, they're worthless.

I'd throw both 'em away 'n buy a new one.  The most expensive ya kin find.

The 'foreign' manufacturers must love you.

The most expensive is NOT the best suited for 'day to day' reloading, it is kept in a temperature and humidity and dust controlled room under a shield to protect it from any breezes while weighing, and re calibrated often, by trained Meteorology (Calibration Laboratory) Technicians.

Best Regards,
Chev. William
"Been there, But no 'Tee Shirt' survived.

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 04:16:15 PM »
You may not have a problem at all. If one measures 1/20th of a grain high, within tolerance and the other measures 1/20th of a grain low, also within tolerance, they would measure 1/10th of a grain different and still both be in tolerance.
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013, 10:01:49 AM »
   I believe Arcey means well,

That would probably be a surprise to Arcey, what he probably means is to give you a hard time.

Seriously, if you get a bunch of scales that only vary by 1/10th of a grain, that just shows how good most of the scales are, especially considering how little most of them cost.

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2013, 11:59:51 AM »
First get the weight in grains of a penny, nickel and quarter. ( I don't have'm handy). Now get a new penny, nickel and quarter and use them to occasionally check your scales. The balance scale is made to be corrected. The electronic may not be.
I avoid the hottest loads like plague. Generally the mid-range loads are more accurate and the target doesn't seem to notice the difference.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com