Author Topic: New Cowboy Movie  (Read 14487 times)

Offline Virginia Reb

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: New Cowboy Movie
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2006, 08:08:51 AM »
I really liked this movie.  The acting was superb, especially Thomas Haden Church's acting.  I was very impressed with him.  The scenery was very nice as well.

I can't understand why Hollywood will remake the Honeymooners, The Pink Panther or other such movies.  But, they won't remake or create new westerns.  I am not sure if they just don't sell the box office or don't have a following.  The last Western that I remember at the theatres was Texas Rangers.  I guess the whole idea of having a movie showing the morals of doing the right thing forgetting the cost, that just doesn't fly anymore.

Offline LazyK Pejay

• Top Active Citizen
  • "I'm ordering you to volunteer again Sgt. Tyree...
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2006, 08:09:26 AM »
The "love" part was typical for westerns at first for me. But, when the stage pulled out and the Chinese woman stood there I knew it would be different. At the end when Duval is reading the letter and you can tell it is just getting right into his heart, that was good.  When it said he and the woman were buried together on the ranch, do you think she came out to him before she died?

LazyK Pejay

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2006, 08:13:42 AM »
>>Give that horse an Oscar/ Emmy ( whatever the hell it is) for the scene where Tom shoots 'em. Fine equine acting skills.<<

When I watched that scene I had the impression they had laid the horse down then filmed it getting up.  Run the film backwards, alter the speed and the illusion is created of the horse going down.  If one watches the scene running backwards, with the cuts and all, that’s what it looks like.  End product was well done none-the-less.

One thing that struck me was in the scene where Nola was describing brutality she’d suffered as a prostitute.  Towards the end, she smiled displaying a perfect set of teeth.  Didn’t seem to fit.

The end, when they were showing text against the sky, I couldn't read it.  A combination of the lack of contrast and my color blind eyes.  To this minute I have no idea what was said.

That’s just me.  I’m the type that lets detail and curiosity stand in the way of following the story.  Just ain’t much of a movie watcher.  My failing.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 10:24:16 PM »

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2006, 06:43:55 PM »
It sounds like you have an old fashioned LDTV like I do.  I can hardly read text either. :-[
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2006, 09:24:23 AM »
Yup.

Don't use it fer much.  Depends on which network is broadcastin' the NFL 'n NASCAR stuff.  Some of 'em use text/graphics that're easier ta read than others.  That's really about all I watch.  Rather listen ta talk radio.

Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2006, 07:45:00 PM »
101.1 Talk FM for me.  Before they changed their format they had a great bluegrass show Sunday mornings with Buddy Michaels.  Now its light jazz ( :P) on the weekends but talk all week.
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline LazyK Pejay

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2006, 10:55:43 AM »
I downloaded the movie to a DVD player with a hard disk and burner and took out the adverts with Vegas. It is on two DVD's and will do until the real thing comes out and I can buy one. I watched it again last night and there are some great lines I missed the first time.

I have lived in Texas for over 20 years and have spent time on ranches and farms. I remember watching sunrises while hunting with friends and watching sunsets thinking over the day. Not many words, just shared thoughts. Out on the ranch except for electricity people have remained much the same. When the drivers asked Print if he needed help with the herd or when the buyer let them use his house to rest; reminds me of folks here in West Texas...

LazyK Pejay

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2006, 08:57:31 PM »
I downloaded the movie to a DVD player with a hard disk and burner and took out the adverts with Vegas. It is on two DVD's and will do until the real thing comes out and I can buy one . I watched it again last night and there are some great lines I missed the first time.

Good save!   ;D ;D

You can usually always find new stuff in the good movies.  That's why we watch them again and why we fall asleep during Anchorman. ;D ;D

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2006, 07:14:48 PM »
The movie is on again right now for anyone who wishes to view it.

Offline LazyK Pejay

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2006, 01:18:01 PM »
I have it on Tivo also. Recording TV shows is not a problem, especially if you have Tivo (record to VHS) or a DVD player/burner (record DVD); no copywrite laws apply unless you record something and charge for it.

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2006, 07:58:14 PM »
It's coming on again on Tuesday, July 18.  A little advance notice if anyone wants to catch it.  ;D

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2006, 08:11:33 PM »
Thank you, information much appreciated.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2006, 08:21:38 AM »
I only got to see part one so far which I enjoyed immensely. I have two questions, Why did Church's character shoot that guys thumbs off? The only reason I can think of is that that would make it durn near impossiable for him to fire a single action revolver. Is one of the smallpox, typhoid 'carriers' a Carradine? [the one shot by Augustus--- oops Duval].
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2006, 07:48:14 PM »
1. Don't know.  Maybe to show off his shooting skills

2. Don't believe so, but I've been wrong plenty of times before.

Offline Coop Trawlaine

• Come sit by the fire and I'll tell ya a story.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Author-Member Western Writers of America
    • Walt Lange Word Slinger
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2006, 09:53:51 PM »
They would probably do what John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart did in Liberty Valance,,,,,Flipped a coin to see who would get top billing. 
Coop Trawlaine SASS #63617, SCORRS, WartHog, SUDDS #188, IPSAC #47
Aka: Walt Lange
"Trawlaine" ISBN 1-4137-7738-4
"Trawlaine's Land" ISBN -09479379-0-8
Western Writers of America
Society of Southwestern Authors
www.waltlange.com

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2006, 07:57:02 PM »
Another chance!  Gee... who woulda thought.  ;D

Saturday, August 5 at 8pm 7 central.  I guess it doesn't come on for the rest of you!  ;D ;D ;D

http://brokentrail.amctv.com/

Offline Virginia Reb

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2006, 07:34:46 AM »
Cyrille,

Along the same lines.  John Wayne played with Kirk Douglas in the War Wagon.  He also played with Rock Hudson in the Undefeated which Rock Hudson was not a huge western star, but he was a big star at the time.  I am sure the John Wayne got top billing on each of those movies.

I guess he wasn't a huge named actor, but Ben Johnson played in several of movies with John Wayne and I have always enjoyed his acting.

Reb

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2006, 08:18:50 AM »
Cyrille,

I guess he wasn't a huge named actor, but Ben Johnson played in several of movies with John Wayne and I have always enjoyed his acting.

Reb
Yes, he was a durn good actor. I have noticed a trend in the 'western' actor reportadge as of late. Now that all or most of the  brightest stars of the cowboy genre have passed on the media, when it reports on 'westerns at all,dwells on the character actors now as if they were the stars of these films which is patantienly untrue. A fine supporting cast made the stars shine which is what they were suppose to do and did in most cases, that was their job, or a big part of it. But they were not the stars as the media would like us to believe now.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Offline Virginia Reb

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2006, 01:14:45 PM »
Yeah, I have to agree with you on that.  I tell you a couple other supporting actors that I thought were always good in the movies were Bruce Dern, George Kenedy, Walter Brennan and of course "Gabby" Hayes.  Those are just some of my favorites from John Wayne movies.

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2006, 02:16:37 PM »
Yes they were good, Bruce Dern made me dislike his character in the "Cowboys' so much that I wouldn't watch him in another movie for a long, loooong time as for Mr. Brennan and Mr. Hayes they were both loveable characters in most of their movies, I remember Mr. Brennan playing the villian in a few movies but, in my eyes, he just didn't pull the 'bad guy' stuff off as well as he did the comidic and loveable old man characters he portrayed.
 George Kenedy was an "alright" bad guy; but the most evil and mencing Bad Guy in my estimation was  and always will be Jack Palance, particularly for his portrayal of Wilson in 'Shane.'
that was a great piece of acting! Since then I have always equated his BAD Guy characters as having the venomous nature of vipers! Vipers are not evil but they are deadly Mr. Palance's characters are both evil & deadly
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com