Author Topic: I think I want a '97  (Read 9175 times)

Offline Prof. Bullspit

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I think I want a '97
« on: September 09, 2004, 12:23:55 PM »
I've been shooting CAS less than a year but I'm having a lot of fun. From the beginning the shotgun has been where I give up the most time.

My current shotgun is a Baikal coach gun. I've modified the cocking cams to let the gun open up and it works fine and with practice I've been getting better.

However I've been wanting a '97. I have never shot one but I think I could be faster with a '97 than with my current double.

So what are your thoughts and opinions.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Handmade Pistol Grips
  • Liked:
Re: I think I want a '97
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2004, 12:35:30 PM »
I love this topic! 

For some folks a '97 is faster.  For others it's a SxS.  At the very tippy top of the game, a 97 is a hair faster at speed events, and a little more flexible for staging.  But I don't think it really makes a difference if the guns are all staged horizontally. 

Both are fun to shoot.

The 97 is easier to get to a "competant" point with than a SxS.  When you get pretty competant with a SxS you're gonna be shootin it pretty darn fast.  There really isn't any in between as there is with a 97.

My advice is to pick one and master it.  Then learn to master the other.  Then you'll be able to pull either one out of the safe and go with it, depending on your mood.

I don't think that answers your question, but it might help some.

My problem is that I need 2 belts.  I like a different loop configuration for each gun.

Doc

Offline Prof. Bullspit

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2004, 08:49:28 AM »
I appreciate the input. I can certainly see the wisdom in being able to shoot either depending on the stage design. What should I be looking for in a '97?

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:22:24 AM »

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Handmade Pistol Grips
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2004, 10:07:16 AM »
One that works!  There are so many variables to getting a good 97 that I don't know that I could get it all down.  Just look for one that's tight.  The rest can be fixed.

Doc

Big Hext Finnigan

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2004, 03:26:47 AM »
Howdy Prof,

I'm not a great expert in 97s.  I have two, both Winchesters and I didn't overpay, so be smart and slow.
This is my preference, so modify to your taste.

I like solid frame, genuine Winchester guns.  I like a shorter stock than I would have thought at first.  I don't care about the front sight.  Blue, grey or brown, they all seem to be good working guns..

If you get serious, find a good gunsmith BEFORE you start cranking on the old girls.
Adios,

Offline Prof. Bullspit

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2004, 10:13:20 AM »
Thank you kindly for your thoughts Mr. Big Hext Finnigan. I too would prefer a genuine Winchester, perhaps for the wrong reasons. I see both original Winchesters and the copies being used locally but it seems more and more people are retiring the originals and going with the new guns. Does anyone have thoughts about this. And by thoughts I'm looking for things OTHER than political thoughts as I already have those! Comparing the two options, is it smarter to go with the new gun and give the originals the retirement that might be due to them because of age?

Thanks!

Big Hext Finnigan

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2004, 02:33:07 PM »
Howdy,

In my experience and observation, not many of the 97s were used much.  There is a lot of life left in most of them.  But they can be over 100 years old, so be considerate of the old girls.  I'm not against the Chinese guns, heck, they have helped stabilize the cost of these guns and many work real well.  But, in the interest of time and money, they can be a better bet.  The TTN is reputedly the best made on the market.  Can't say for sure, I don't have one.

Adios,

Offline Brazos Bucky Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2004, 05:06:54 AM »

;D Well Howdy Big Hext!

How is the new job a goin'?  Kinda inturpts your bein' in town don't it?  Anyway, I was readin' an article on the TNN '97, maybe you read the same one.  I got the impression the importer was going to be pre-slicking them up like the author of the article did the loaner he was writing about.  Did You read the article the same way? ???

Miss seein' your posts as often as we are used to!

BB ;)

Brazos Bucky
"A man oughta do what he thinks is right."
BOLD #566, NRA Life (Endowment)
SASS #59058, SBSS #1605, SCORRS

Big Hext Finnigan

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2004, 07:23:36 AM »
Bucky,

Thanks for asking.. Sleep has become a rare and precious commodity! ;)

I have not read about the 97 and am only aware of the "buzz" surrounding it.  The 97 may merely be benefiting from the rep of the mule ear.

Adios,

Offline Prof. Bullspit

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2004, 10:57:50 AM »
Well does anyone know the price on the '97 in question?

Offline SAAJim

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2004, 11:28:35 AM »
Here's a link to TTN web site - http://www.ttnintinc.com/index.html

Jim

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com