Author Topic: S.E. Kansas Club Schedule  (Read 9770 times)

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
S.E. Kansas Club Schedule
« on: April 27, 2006, 06:15:52 PM »
The Verdigris Valley Renegades are starting their shooting season next week (Sunday, May 7) at the range in Neodesha (Nee-oh-deh-SHAY), Kansas.  We are a small, informal club, not SASS affiliated, but as most are SASS members, we follow SASS rules. 

We usually meet at 7 am at a local diner, The Green Lantern, for breakfast.  Otherwise, Safety meeting goes at 8:30 am at the Range, with the Shoot starting at 9:00.  Will shoot six stages, ammo requirements are usually about 75P, 75R, and <25SG.  After the regular Match (about 1:00-1:30), we have a 100-yd "long range" match with rifle-caliber lever guns and single-shots.  Heat was a killer last year - too many folks just wanted to go get cooled off.  Then, lunch at Pizza Hut!

Neodesha is located about 90 miles east of Wichita, just off US Hwy 400, on us 75N, or about 35 miles south of Yates Center on US 75.  (Marshal H - that's just a few miles east of you, too). Rain/T'Storms cancel the shoot, so if you're travelling far, call ahead to verify it's still on.  PM or e-mail me (davevdp@cox.net), or contact our Head Ramrod, Ron "Capt. Henry Logan" Campbell at:  rlsoup@hotmail.com for more information and/or telephone contacts.  Those of you who shoot at Garnett may know Saddlesore Sam or Sodbuster - they are regular shooters with us, too.

Y'ALL COME !!!
Don't let my mention of Sam or Sodbuster put you off - they're really not too bad, you just need to get used to them.

p.s.: You cowgirls - my wife is tired of being the only female shooter amongst all us guys!

Guns
"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301

Offline Trap

• NCOWS
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John Torrence
  • NCOWS #: 851
  • Liked:
Re: S.E. Kansas Club Schedule
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 08:37:53 AM »
  Guns G ,

I really want to make a few of your shoots. May - Our 2 gun shoot, June - probably be at the regional at Des Moines, July - Supposed to go gold panning in the black hills. Aug - I think we are having a trade fair that weekend. Maybe Sept??? One of us needs to re-arrange our schedule.        jt
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
 Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 06:06:19 PM »
Dang! It wasn't rainin Sunday, but the trailer with the targets wuz stuck in the mud, so the boss man cancelled the shoot till we could git the trailer out.  Next one is June 4th.

GAF #301

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:03:37 PM »

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 01:55:32 PM »
No, I don't have the entire season's schedule, but the first shoot for 2007 will be this Sunday, April 29th at the Neodesha range.  See the first post on this thread for directions and details.  You can contact me by PM or phone at 620-251-6141, or our head ramrod Ron Campbell at 620-325-3439.  Safety meeting at 8:30, shooting starts at 9:00.  SASS rule apply!

GAF #301

Offline Marshal'ette Halloway

• The Marshal's Boss & Head Rebel Rowser
  • Peace Officer
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Two theories to arguin' with a woman. Neither work
    • The Perfect Touch
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 11:25:48 PM »
I'm kind a sort a getting my nerve up to shoot a bit in front of people..
But to find the time now that Down Range TV is on our agenda, will be tough.
 But I may surprise you..and myself~ and make it to one of the shoots. :)
I haven't given up on it..and thats a plus.. LOL!

Going to Garnett this weekend to film, so that will be fun.
 Wish you guys were going...
SASS #56524, BCVC #26

The smell of heaven is Fresh Baked Bread and Gun Powder.

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 08:21:51 PM »
BTT

GAF #301

Offline john.38

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 08:23:29 PM »
I am new at cowboy shooting and need info.Is this targets,spinning stationary or both? standing still or are you moving?I shoot nv ruger .357-.38 and just bought marlin .357 -.38 lever action but thats on back order.Also need info on powder. what brand is best.bullet wieght.right now ishoot 130 gain magtech .38.

thanks for your help    John.38

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 12:29:05 AM »
John.38,
    Welcome to the sport!  A quick answer to some of your questions - Targets are stationary, for the most part.  Some ranges may have a moving target set up (usually for bonus), or a pop-up shotgun target.  Usually made of 1/2' to 5/8" steel plate, hung on a stand so they can swing to take out the energy of the bullet strike - no ricochets.  Some ranges have knock-down targets and "plate racks".  SASS does no allow moving with a cocked loaded weapon, so you may shoot - move - shoot - more, etc. Check out some of Marshal Halloway's videos elsewhere in this forum.

Important info for ammo - all lead bullets, no jacket or gas checks, and they must be flat-nosed.  Factory ammo can be had from Ultramax, Black Hills, and Ten-X, and others, and they have CAS-specific loads.  GOEX also has Black Powder cartridges. If you are reloading, choices are your own.  A lot of people use Titegroup or Unique.  With shooting 120-200 rounds each match, reloading is about the only affordable way to go.  Without knowing your familiarity with reloading, I don't like to give reloading advice over the web - except to do your research and follow the procedures closely. You didn't mention having a shotgun.  You'll need a double barrel in 12 or 20 gauge, or a 1897 pump or 1887 lever, which only come in 12 (a few 10 ga 87's out there)  A lot of people use Winchester AA or Featherlite shells, but I just buy the 100-packs of field loads from WallyWorld

Where are you at in Kansas?  The group at Neodesha won't be having any matches till this April or so, but I believe the Freestate Rangers up in Parker (near Garnett) shoot twice a month all year. Other clubs in the eastern part of Kansas are in Wichita,Topeka and Lenexa.  Check out:  kansascas.com.  I know many of them up at Garnett, and I am sure if you had just your pistols with you (or even no guns at all) you would have to beat back the loaners with a stick.  There is also an NCOWS club near Garnett, but they don't have a shoot every month - sometimes they do other activities.  See the earlier postings, above in this Subject, for information on Neodesha's location, and contacts.  I hope to meet you soon.

GAF #301

Offline john.38

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 07:49:04 PM »
I live in Pittsburg ks..I don't own a reloader but a friend does a lot of it.All I 'am doing is buying supples.I ordered 158 grain bullets trailboss powder and winchester primes. He will show me how to reload on a single stag.I know it takes awhile to do it that way but thats all he has for .38s.Can I use my marlin .357-.38 lever action rifle at the shoots?Wish something was closer for me to go to.Thanks for your help!

John.38

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 02:06:31 PM »
My wife uses 158 gr bullets in her .357.  I don't have any experience with TrailBoss powder.  The current load I'm using in her .357's is 3.2 gr of Titegroup, and CCI primers.  Your Marlin will work just fine for CAS, and the fact it is the same caliber as your pistols makes the logistics so much easier. If it is a carbine, you may have to mod the magazine spring to hold 10 .357 catridges. Marlins don't have a reputation of being "picky" about cartridge size/length, but find out if it will handle both .38 Spl. and .357 Mag.  If it seems to prefer one over the other, go with that caliber in both rifle and pistol.  The load I described above works for my wife well in both types of guns.  It is not a full-power load, but not a wimpy load either.  The recoil is evident, but not bad for the pistol.  If you want to go with less recoil, your reloading friend can help you with selecting a lighter bullet and powder charge.

Learning reloading using a single stage set-up is probably the best way to learn.  You can become more familiar with each step in the process.  If you go to a progressive loader later on, you will have better knowledge to know if everything is working properly.

About the closest SASS Club I can find to your location is in Cassville, MO, south of Monett.  It may not be any closer to you than Neodesha.  There may be other CAS groups out there that are not "official" SASS clubs (Neodesha isn't), so they don't show up on any type of club listing.  There used to be a club near Pittsburg, between Arma and Frontenac but they lost the use of the land their range was on several years ago.  Many moved their membership to the Free State Rangers up at Parker.  The head man ther is Buffalo Phil at 913-898-4911, and they shoot the 3rd Saturday of the month.  I do know one of the Free State Rangers that lives in your area.  He goes by "Coal Valley Hoss", and lives on Hwy 69 (4043 Parkview Dr) between Pittsburg and Frontenac. His first name is Randy, but for the life of me I can't remember his last name.  He maintains the website at: http://www.kansascas.com/free_state_rangers.htm
You can get a lot of info at that site.
There is only one NCOWS posse in Kansas (Garnett) and none in MO, that I know of.  http://www.ncows.org/KVC.htm

GAF #301

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com