Author Topic: Jest talkin  (Read 12634 times)

Offline Doc Sunrise

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Jest talkin
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2007, 07:14:11 AM »
I have not shot any muzzleloaders before.  I am eyeing up a Tennessee Valley Muzzleloaders Iron Pennsylvania as my first muzzleloader.  Do you have any experience or comments about the Tennessee Valley Muzzleloaders company?

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2007, 07:59:47 AM »
Nope, all of my front-stuffers are C.V.As ( Connticut Valley Arms ) except one and that's a Dixie Gun Works "Po Boy" flint/percussion lock (the lock is intercdhangeable) left hand. C.V.A. is still in business but I hesitate to recommend them because all of my C.V.A. muzzleloaders supposedly carry a lifetime warrenty. I had some trouble with one of them because the lock all but froze up, the trigger pull became really heavy, I tried stoneing it, oiling it, etc. nothing helped. I always keep my guns clean so it's not that it was full of old fouling and gunk. Finally I wrote C.V.A. about the problem two or three times never got an answer. Now that rifle is a "wall hanger." I suppose I could get a new lock from Dixie Gun Works but I never looked into it,  maybe one day I will but as of now I'm all het up about the .45/70 and my SA revolvers. The C.V. A. muzzleloaders are Spanish-made and very accurate when you find the right diet for them; as with every firearm.
 Sorry I couldn't comment on the Tennesee Valley Arms.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2007, 02:06:14 PM »
Pardon me for breakin’ in boys.

Lottsa views on this thread ‘n I wanna point sumthin’ out ta anyone who may be readin’ along ‘n wonderin’ ‘bout Cowboy Action Shootin’ ‘n their future in it.  Goes without sayin’ the best thing ta do is go watch, in person.

‘5 or 600’ rounds for two shooters for ‘a’ shoot is a round count I’ve never encountered.  Maybe I’ve led a sheltered life.  At a local, monthly shoot it’s five or six stages ten rounds pistol ‘n eight ta ten rifle per shooter.  Do the math.  My club did a shoot yesterday.  Ten rifle and ten pistol per stage, five stages.  We’re not unusual.  SASS affiliated ‘n I believe we’re pretty much mainstream.

Not arguin’ anything.  Just sayin’ a new shooter may not find it difficult to get with a club puttin’ on typical cowboy shoots that don’t require quite that much ammo for ‘a’ shoot.

Y’all have a good time now. Ya hear?
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 01:03:06 PM »

Offline Doc Sunrise

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2007, 04:26:54 PM »
We are just shoot'n the breeze about what ever!

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2007, 04:47:26 PM »
No kick with that, Doc.  Just thinkin’ there’s folks whut may not understand ‘n read along thinkin’ that’s an authoritative voice on the subject.  My comment was aimed at them.  Not y’all.  ‘Spensive ‘nuff ta get in the game without things like exaggerated round counts bein’ tossed about.

Ya get down ta the Richmond area on a third Saturday get up with me.  I ain’t hard ta find.  Maybe we kin meet up at Black Creek ‘n ya kin see whut it’s about fer real.  Up close ‘n personal.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Tensleep

• Damned Ol' Ranger
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dealer in Bullets and Gun Butter
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2007, 07:13:23 PM »
You got it right Brother Arcey.

Only time I ever came close to 500 rounds for a match was EoT.

12 stages of 10 pistol and 10 rifle, 240 rounds times two shooters is almost 480
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2007, 07:28:44 PM »
Ok guys, lets get this over with I exagerated round count at a SASS sactioned shoot but I tell you  that we have expended upwards to 1500 rounds in a 3- 4 month period that's counting 3 rifles, and at least 4 handguns being shot at a range at least once a week sometimes twice a week if we find the time. I don't beleive that we have exceeded the 1500 round mark  but by the end of that time period I know the total exceeds 1000. I've reloaded in a 4 month period
 1175 rounds. and that is my 2d most productive reloading to date. The first I would have to estimate as I didn't keep count whe I first started reloading.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline Tensleep

• Damned Ol' Ranger
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2007, 07:43:00 PM »
Fellers I ain't braggin' or tryin' to give ya no grief, but you can shoot as many rounds as you want to shoot.

In a good month my wife and I will shoot at least one BIG match (10 stages 400+ rounds) and 4-5 monthly matches (5-6 stages 240+ rounds.)

When we did do some practicing, we have shot 1500-2000 rounds per month, not counting shotshells (usually 25 or so per match.)

Now, my point.... you do what you want to do... if I want to shoot then I spend some of every week at the loading bench making ammo. I chose to shoot CAS, shoot some sporting clays and I know that if I want to play, I have to pay in some way, it is a fact of life, but a person plays to the level that he/she is willing to support.

Some Cowboy Action Shooters shoot once a month, some more and some every chance they get, the game is as expensive as you want to make it.
Masonic Cowboy Shootist

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2007, 07:49:38 PM »
Ok guys, lets get this over with I exagerated round count at a SASS sactioned shoot.........

Thank you.

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2007, 05:57:22 AM »
You're welcome Mr. Arcey.
Marshal Tensleep; You're right about us being able to shoot as many rounds as we want to, that's still one of the great things about the U.S. of A! As long as we practice safe, recreational shooting and hunting that's how long I will continue to do as I do, and I thank you for your support.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Offline Tensleep

• Damned Ol' Ranger
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2007, 06:07:48 AM »
Very welcome.
Masonic Cowboy Shootist

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2007, 12:10:44 PM »
Whoa!  400 - 500 rounds at a match! That's a lot of ammo.  I have seen some people really get into side matches before and burn up some ammo there but not in a main match.

About CAS targets being so big and so close that you have to try to miss well, guess that's why I have been shooting since 2003 and just now got my second clean match.  Wish someone had told me that I was trying to miss so much.  Yeah if I shot a match very deliberately I would shoot them all clean but you have to go fast and accurate to win matches and you can't learn to shoot fast it you don't do it.  I think that my clean match last weekend is going to be a breaking point for me.  Good positive thoughts, fast smooth and clean.  :D
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2007, 08:27:44 PM »
Good answer, Cammie!!!
I wanted to say that myownself.   ;D  ;D  ;D
MG
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2007, 09:22:28 AM »
Thinkin’ that was five or six hundred for two shooters ‘n it was ‘nothin’’ ta go thru that many.  No matter.

All I’d like folks ta do whut don’t like it the way it is is just say why straight up.  Don’t lie about stuff ta make a case.  They’re gonna get called on it anyway.  I’ll give this one credit for ‘fessin’ up.  Thing is it wasn’t necessary ta tell tales about things ta start with.

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2007, 06:31:26 AM »
Walll heyre Ah go again, jest talkin fer ta heyre mah own voice. It's a mighty lonesum trail Ah ride an heyre I am sittin neer mah camp fire. Ah tuck kere ta see all th stock penned in the corral (sp?) an jest th other day made it inta town an paid the las installment on mah 45/70. Thet shoure waz a hard thudy dollars ta come up with! I had ta bypass th Long Branch an believe me ole Redbone at fust stopped thar an got all confused when Ah didn't git off an stomp inta miz Cammie's place. Thet dang hoss wouldn't budge frum the hitchin rail-post out front o the Saloon. I had ta git down 'n walk the next couple a blocks ta the bank, 'n believe me them waz looong blocks!
  Anyways Ah did it, an now thet 45/70 is mine free 'n clear! Now ah kin quit herdin sumbody else's beef n ride the high plains in search o Buff!
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Offline Doc Sunrise

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2007, 07:43:26 PM »
Congrats Cyrille on the 45/70,

Let us know how it shoots.  I have been Boy Scout Camping and have been away, but still around.  Wow, it was cold this weekend, thank goodness we were in a cabin.  It was 5 outside and 45 inside.  It took a day for the wood stove to really catch up so yesterday it was a balmy 60 in there. 

I couldn't pass up a some what good deal and I bought a Colt Sporting 1902 Pistol that is in about 40% condition.  I am wondering if I should leave it alone or have Doug Turnbull take a look at it.  Well, I got time to think about it.

Talk to you later.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com