Author Topic: Chilled Shot vs Magnum Shot  (Read 11168 times)

Offline Sod Buster

• My Barn, My Rules
  • Top Active Citizen
  • What happens in the Barn - Stays in the Barn
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
Chilled Shot vs Magnum Shot
« on: April 13, 2006, 08:18:01 AM »
I have always been told to use Chilled shot for CAS loads because it is softer but how about Magnum shot?  Is it too hard for the close distances of our sport?
SASS #49789L, NCOWS #2493, RATS #122, WARTHOGS, SBSS, SCORRS, STORM #287
ROII, NRA RSO, NRA Benefactor, VSSA Life

Offline Paladin UK

• UK`s 1st Warthog
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Have Gun.. "Might Travel"
    • White Knight Ranch... Homestead of Paladin UK
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Chilled Shot vs Magnum Shot
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 01:08:16 PM »
Fer Sod Buster!!......... :o :o

I have always been told to use Chilled shot for CAS loads because it is softer

Does this mean I gotta put my shot shells in the fridge `afore I use `em at a match!!  ::) What happens iffn they thaw out on the way ta the shoot, :o
have they gotta be kept in a cool bag!!! :-\

Has this cool bag gotta be SASS approved!! :o are ya allowed more n one cool bag :-\ :-\

Paladin (Whats gonna need some of EPPS meds Reeeeeeel soon :'() UK

I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
 MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

Offline Sod Buster

• My Barn, My Rules
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 02:05:42 PM »
Does this mean I gotta put my shot shells in the fridge `afore I use `em at a match!!  ::) What happens iffn they thaw out on the way ta the shoot, :o

Has this cool bag gotta be SASS approved!! :o are ya allowed more n one cool bag :-\ :-\

You are soooooo funny.
Here is an explaination of Chilled vs. Magnum shot (from the Ballistics Products web site):

Chilled shot is about 98 percent lead and has an antimony content from about .5% to around 2%. Magnum shot has between 3% and 6% antimony added depending on size. Smaller pellets have higher percentages while larger sizes have smaller percentages. It’s hard to nail the exact antimony content, as manufactures purchase their ingots in pre-alloyed lots. Secondly, when rejected pellets are remelted the antimony content is altered. So, in order to have an exact reading, we would have to exclude all the rejects.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:41:54 AM »

Offline Howdy Doody

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 03:07:01 PM »
I always buy one brand, it is called dropped shot and the bag has a picture on it, of a shot dropping tower. Well, I know nothing about how shot is made or of what, but I do know the price is getting on up there. I just bought some for $7 a 25 # bag more than just a year ago.
I would like to hear about what it takes to take lead ingots and cast out shot in the different sizes. Do they use molds of some sort for that process? What does dropping the shot do for it? I can see where adding more antimony would harden the pellets. I have even a harder time thinking about how they might make steel shot for hunting. This seems, without knowing, to be a process that is more complicated than casting of bullets. Maybe $28 a bag is not so bad after all.
Can anyone shed some light to a dimwit?  :)
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 03:30:53 PM »
Fer Sod Buster!!......... :o :o

PUK you folks drink warm beer, now you really think we are going to believe you are going to refrig yer shotshells?
Mathew 5.9

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 03:38:22 PM »
Funny, this question was just asked over on the SASS Wire earlier this week. Here's what I wrote:

I always have to look this up to get it straight.

A small amount to antimony, from 1/2% to 6%, is added to shot to harden it. Shot is still made by pouring the molten lead alloy through a seive. As the droplets fall through the air, surface tension forms them into a ball, just like raindrops are ball shaped as they fall, not 'teardrop' shaped. The shot solidifies as it falls, and ends up in a pool of water at the bottom of shot tower, to cool. After it cools, it is run through successively smaller screens to separate it out by size.

'Chilled shot' refers to a German invention of blowing cold air across the shot as it fell. It was felt that the cold air made the shot harder. Later they realized that they were just adding more antimony, which made the shot harder.

Today there are three varieties of shot. 'Dropped' shot, that has about 1/2-1% antimony, 'Chilled' which has 3-4% antimony, and 'Magnum' which has up to 6% antimony.

The more antimony, the harder the shot. The harder the shot, the less deformation the individual balls get both from rubbing against the barrel, and from compressing against each other as the charge makes its way down the barrel. The less deformed pellets there are, the more predicable the pattern.

There are some hunting sports that actually prefer the Dropped shot, with the smallest amount of antimony. At close range with small birds, the deformed shot tends to widen the pattern a small amount without damaging the pattern.

In my area, I've only ever seen Chilled and Magnum shot for sale. In our sport, the targets are so close, it does not matter one iota which type you choose.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Offline Sod Buster

• My Barn, My Rules
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 04:01:32 PM »
Thanks for the responses so far.  I have recently purchased Chilled shot for about $23 per 25# bag.  The shotgunners (Trap/Skeet/Clays) at my club are making a group purchase soon and can get Magnum shot for $18.75 for the same amount.  Based on Driftwood Johnson's response, I may go ahead and purchase some to save some money. It is 6% Antimony.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 06:25:19 PM »
The harder shot tends to bounce back more because it don't flatten as easy. 

Good name brand top of the line shells like the AA use a 6% shot so if you don't have trouble with them bouncing back at ya, don't worry.

And yes softer shot will open patterns, but a more open choke with hard 6% or even harder copper or nickel plated shot will give more even patterns.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2006, 07:34:26 PM »
For SASS shootn', there's one more category of shot.  It's the CHEEPEST ya kin find.  Soon I'll start up my Littleton Shotmaker and make up a hundred pounds or so.  Not all of it will be round, but it will all hit steel if I do my part.

Yup, cheep is GOOOD.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline Howdy Doody

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2006, 08:00:35 PM »
Driftwood, many thanks. I now have a good idea as to how shot is made. I'll never do ad DD and make my own. Truth is when I shot smokeless, I just bought ready mades. It was BP that forced me into rolling my own shotgun rounds. This has been a most interesting discussion. Thanks pards :)
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2006, 09:19:55 PM »
Hey Howdy,

Once ya get the lil beads of melted pb rollin down the chalked incline plane, it's simply supply ingots and take away shot.  I loaded several seasons worth of trap loads for our trap league.  Shooters loved the home made shot.  They also loved the price.  I can load bp loads for under $1.00 a box if I can recycle the hulls.  Upwards to $3.00 if I have to force myself to use all new hulls. . .

Am I  cheep, or what?

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

Offline El Paso Pete

• Big Lube Boolit Shooter, shootin BP since 1958
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Life, NRA Patron, RATS #1, Warthog
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2006, 08:55:17 PM »
I've been thinking about these and using free wheel wts.
http://www.magmaengineering.com/item.php?id=2

I've no idea how they work and I am worrin that if I call and ask I wind up buying one.
El Paso Pete   SASS #55577L  RATS #1
Mules,  Whiskey,  Diamonds,  Nails,  Gold Mines,  Fly Swatters,  Barbed Wire,  Oil Wells,  Runnin Irons.
Governments Run, Revolutions Started, Uprising Quelled, Bridges Destroyed, Saloons Emptied, Whiskey Bonded, Taxes Collected, Gold Mines Salted

EL PASO PETE’S MONEY BACK GUARANTEE
Simply return the unused portion of the product and
El Paso Pete will refund the unused portion of your money.

Offline Sod Buster

• My Barn, My Rules
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2006, 08:57:21 PM »
I've been thinking about these and using free wheel wts.
http://www.magmaengineering.com/item.php?id=2

I've no idea how they work and I am worrin that if I call and ask I wind up buying one.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm......tempting.....

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2006, 10:09:42 PM »
Mayhaps I should sell 'em.  They'd be a perfect addition to my line of Big Lube™ bullet molds.  Anyway, here's the web URL.  My old one only has two spiggots.  These new ones look a lot faster.

http://littletonshotmaker.com/

So, who wants to make shot out of scrap WW metal?  I've done a lot of it.  I'm thinkn' a club cud get one and make enuf shot in an afternoon from reclaimed boolits to supply all their pards with shot for a full year.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

Offline Paladin UK

• UK`s 1st Warthog
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Have Gun.. "Might Travel"
    • White Knight Ranch... Homestead of Paladin UK
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2006, 01:29:05 PM »
Ho pards,This thread has got reel   innestin!! ::)

Fer Driftwood Johnson  whats........
antimony
Today there are three varieties of shot. 'Dropped' shot, that has about 1/2-1% antimony, 'Chilled' which has 3-4% antimony, and 'Magnum' which has up to 6% antimony.

Fer my pard DD...

Have ya used a...... littleton shotmaker??
::)

I bought a 7kg jug of #6 shot today and it cost me...£26.00!!=$ 45.5649 !!

Soooo I am really now thinkin hard about buyin me one of those critters!!

Paladin (Whats gotsta know ::)) UK

I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
 MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2006, 01:37:26 PM »
Howdy PUK,

I've got one of 'em critters and  it works fine.  There was a learnin' curve, but once I learned the rite heat and got some good chalk for the ramp, it went real good.  FWIW, the chilling can should have kerosene in it, not #2 Diesel fuel.  I tried the diesel fuel and it stunk up the neighborhood and the shot was hell to clean up.

After I've made a couple of buckets full I wash the shot with hot water and strong detergent.  Then, I flush it with cold water and dry it on cardboard flats.  It's easy and fast to  do.  Next, I roll it around in some powdered graphite so it will meter good in my loaders.  Presto, home made shot for the price of scrap metal.  I'm a happy camper.

Also, ask pards I've shot with.  My shot flat kills those knockdowns.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com