Author Topic: Opinions sought on 51 Navy Manfacturers  (Read 4161 times)

Offline SIR WILLIAM

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Opinions sought on 51 Navy Manfacturers
« on: August 28, 2004, 04:11:49 PM »
OK.  I am considering a pair of 51 Colt Navy London models.  I want steel gripframes.  I want them nickel plated. I want to know which manufacturer you would buy.  Why?

Offline Mr. Buffalodung

• Sootlord, SCORRS VP
  • Citizen
  • soot lord, scorrs vp
  • Liked:
Re: Opinions sought on 51 Navy Manfacturers
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2004, 10:12:41 PM »
Hey Will,
          Well there just no doubt that the Ubertis are a little better than all the rest, even some of the Colts(uberti made, put together & finished here by colt) But the Piettas that have been imported in the last couple of years have been down right great! I know there are still a lot of them as well as some ASM guns out there that may have a bug or two but you will run into that with Uberti as well. The nickeled Colt Signature series and the Colt Black Powder Arms that I have owned had a much better finish than the others but these are getting hard to find. I would go with the Ubertis just from a quality stand point but like I said, the Piettas arnt that shabby anymore, I have a few of them that are top notch. The Armi San Marco's has some of the prettiest cch that you'll see(not real cch, done with a chemical) but the over all quality is hit & miss.
                                                                                                 Happy shoot'en
AINT BLACKPOWDER GREAT!!
IF IT DONT KICK,, WHY SHOOT IT!!
SASS  27408

Red River regulators of N.E. Tx.
Critter Creek of S.W. Ar.
The BadlandsBar3 of English Tx.

Offline SIR WILLIAM

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2004, 11:57:01 PM »
Thanks!  I figured that.  I am thinking about heading to Dixie and trying out some actions.  Uberti is in the lead.  I intend to put together a Crimean officers kit.  The 51 Navy was often bought with personal funds.  The nickel will hold up better than the usual silver plating.  I hope to find a smooth action and disassemble/massage it and farm out the nickel plate work.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:32:03 AM »

Offline Vin Weasel

• Singin' Cowboy
  • Active citizen
  • Green River, WY
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2004, 12:08:39 AM »
Howdy Sir William,
I own a few Piettas and a Uberti and the Piettas are nice irons.  The fit and finish is great and they're pretty accurate, too.  If my Uberti is any better, it is only by a hair.  There was a Pietta 51 Navy London in Cabela's a while back...not sure if they still have it.
Good luck, whichever way you go!
Vin
"Let 'er buck."

SASS #60291
NRA
BASS
Presidential Prayer Team
PBR

Offline john boy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2004, 08:16:05 AM »
Sir William:  I picked up a pair of Colt Navies ... the US Marshal model made by Pietta.  They have to be the sweetest C&B's I own.  If you do consider them, only buy the 50xxxx serial number ones.  Seems Pietta had a problem with the 51xxxx ones.
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com