Author Topic: what grain bullet?  (Read 3983 times)

Offline Flinthills Dawg

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
what grain bullet?
« on: March 18, 2006, 01:54:06 PM »
For those that shoot the 38/357 pistol and rifles what grain bullet do you use? Right now I'm using 158 gr. rnfp. Went to a local bullet maker to purchase some bullets cuz i dont have any molds yet and he stated all the good shooters are using 125 gr. bullets. So now I'm reall curious.
"DAWG"    "248"
"74774"

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
Re: what grain bullet?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 04:05:39 PM »
Not considered fast, but I'm using the 154g China Camp RNFP from Bonus out of Colorado........Buck 8) ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 06:23:21 PM »
95 in pistol ammo and 125 in rifle
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:41:52 AM »

Offline Hemlock Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 07:17:07 PM »
I don't shoot much small bore but I'd start at about 500 grains and work down to 300  ;D

45's go boom !!

Mike

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 09:55:53 AM »
Lottsa folks make a big deal of one load for rifle 'n pistol.  For that, the 125 stuff usually has a profile that works fairly well in both.  I'd sooner load what the pistols want and what the rifle wants.  Been doin' this a year or ten 'n never had a problem keepin' 'em seperated.

Outtah a rifle, the bigger stuff gives you the most versatility if you're loadin' quality over quanity.  From a rifle you're gonna be hard pressed to tell the difference between the 160s or 120s recoil wise.  The 160s will be more accurate at longer distances.  If ya cast yer own the 125s are more economical, just as good at normal distances 'n they ain't half bad at longer ranges.  I have moulds for both but if I could only have one it would be the 160.

Ya ain't gonna find many rifles ya can't adjust for POA/POI.  Pistols with fixed sights are another matter.  Want my stuff to hit where I aim at ten yards and I ain't cuttin' my sights.  Right now, I have a 150 grain load and a 77 grain load that do just that.  Depends on where I'm shootin' and what I'm likely ta face as to whut load I'm gonna use.

Best thing to do is get to loadin' 'n figger it out fer yerownself.  Yer guns and mine ain't the same.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 07:30:02 PM »
Course y'u ain't shootin th .45 LC but rite now I'm usin 6.0 grs o smokyless behind a 200 gr bullet shoots rather high alays did, so i lerned ta follar Bat Masterson's advice 'n aim fer th groin, th bullet  strikes the silhouette target sumeres 'n th chest/neck area. @ 10 meters/yds and or/50 '  But Ah'm thinkin o lowerin th powder charge a bit ''n usin lighter bullets if'n Ah kan't git closer ta POA with th 200s 'n th lower powder charge.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com