Author Topic: CAS Rifles  (Read 17216 times)

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
CAS Rifles
« on: March 17, 2006, 09:56:09 AM »
It seems thet most 'cowboys 'n girls  o' taday shoot foregin guns 'stead o American, Ah'd be willin ta bet a silver dollar thet most cowboys/ girls in th west o the 1800s used American arms ta defend thar selves 'n thar property. "n Ah jest kan't see th need fer us ta be supportin foreginers 'stead o real American arms makers lik Winchester 'n Ithia 'n Savage arms ,n Remmington? As fer Colt wal they jest charge too much fer th average wageearner these days.
 O.K. Ah'm steppin off'n the soapbox now.

I think that nothing would make Cowboy Action Shooters happier than if Winchester would start reproducing the '73s and the '66s or if other American gun manufacturers would start maing cowboy guns.

The opinion of a large number of cowboy action shooters is that the model '66 and the '73 are the best rifles to use for this game.  The action Winchester 1894 is just too clunky and causes too many problems for the majority of cowboy action shooters.

I'm not aware of guns that the other companies are making that are compatible with CAS so I'll stop here.
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Marauder

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Marauder's Old West Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: CAS Rifles
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 11:38:59 AM »
Just as the cowboys and cowgirls in the Old West were practical, so are we.  The old boys shot what they could get and that included some English and even French imports.  Most of us shoot what works best for us. 

Many use Marlin rifles.  Back about 5 - 6 years ago, they were the King.  (They are still a great rifle, and about the best bargain around for a rifle.)

Then folks started using more 66 and 73 rifles and found them to be smoother and with a little slicking up to be about the best overall rifles.  Yup, if we could get American made for a reasonable price we would, but no one makes them in the U.S. Plus the looks of a good 66 or 73 is so cowboy!

Offline sweettooth

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 06:26:24 AM »
 Is the 16 in . too short a barrel for cowboy action ?  Although available in yellowboy 66 and 73s I dont see too many of them .
         Thank you.
storm
usmc 67 70
dav
semper fi

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:02:34 PM »

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 08:34:46 AM »
Of Course, I should have realized---- You see I'm retired and get a fairly decent stipend, plus my house & car are free & clear of any bank notes, Thanks to God & the lady I'm hitched up with. So I can afford to buy American arms. :D  Kids are on their own, so all I got to feed is an ornery cat by the of "Gen' Sterling Price"  Now where did I hear that name before---?
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 02:23:32 PM »
The capacity for the 16" rifle is 10 rounds.  If it fits you well and feels good to you then it is very practical. :)
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Coyote Tim

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 03:22:35 AM »
It still seems bizzare to me that Henry doesn't make a copy of the '60 and '66 Henrys. ??? Why do we have to get them from Italy?
SASS # 69135
"Better judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Offline ColonelFlashman

• Thank'ee! And Damn Your Eyes.
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • '73 N.W.M.P. Field Uniform, Assit. Commis.
    • "Sir Harry Flashman's Memiors"
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 12:16:06 AM »
Because No One wishes to Spend the Rhino to Tool-Up to make them here in the States.
Colonel Sir Harry Paget Flashman VC KCB KCIE USMH;
Colonel 17th Lancers Staff Political Officer;
Staff Corp Commander & D.o.P. Command Staff
WartHog, Pistolero & Mounted Shootist
 :uk:  :usa:  :canada:  :dixie:  :ausie:

Offline Howdy Doody

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 01:54:52 AM »
It seems all the really fast top gun types do use the 73 and the 66 too but in lesser amounts around here. Badlands Bud turned some awesome rifle times with his trusty goldenboy, but I notice he is shooting a 73 now too. Hmmmm.
Well, yes Marlins were king just a short while ago, but you know I still shoot them. I have 3 and they plug along same as me and we get the job done, although not at any breakneck speeds. I think they are simply, just like me, so I figure to keep shooting a Marlin.
But.................I have shot Doc Shapiros 73 Codymatic and I will agree that is sweet, and I mean really sweet, but you have to go with something that fits your ability and for me that would be the Marlin.
I was watching a shooter with a 9 shot Winchester have a great time with his carbine recently at a match and reloading a tenth round each stage and he was having a great time and could care less how long it took to shoot the targets. That is his game and he has fun with that.
I still do not see that many shooting Lightnings in my area yet, but I have noticed they have little or no problems with them and they are fast to shoot with in the right hands too.

Besides if I ever quit shooting Marlins, 4 Eyed Buck would have my hide  ;D
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 11:36:17 AM »
Yer durn tooten, Howdy....... 8) ::) ;) ;D
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Ed Clintwood

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006, 11:55:40 AM »
Well it's not American (unless you shell out big bucks for a Ramano) but the Spencer is now legal, and real slow.  But what style :)

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2006, 10:08:31 AM »
It still seems bizzare to me that Henry doesn't make a copy of the '60 and '66 Henrys.  Why do we have to get them from Italy?

The 1860 Henry, as well as the 1866 and 1873 Winchesters are relatively weak designs. The Henry Repeating Arms Company has stated, on this board, under the '1860 Henry' section of the Special Interests part of this Wire, that they do not wish to manufacture a replica. Specifically, they said "While historically significant, the original Henry design does not meet our standards today for safety, reliability and smoothness of the action." They also mentioned the inavailability of 44 Rimfire ammo.

One cannot fault them for making whatever choices they wish to in deciding what they will make and what they will not make. There is no question the Big Boy is a stronger design than the old toggle link designs, although I question their statement about reliability and smoothness. Don't forget, being based here in the US, personal injury lawyers would not have as much trouble descending into Brooklyn, if a rifle should fail and personal injury should result, as they would reaching across the Atlantic to Italy.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Offline SFT

• Top Active Citizen
  • You can't kill a man born to hang!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 08:20:02 PM »
Marlins fill the bill quite well and seem to be more reliable; my observation only, your results may vary.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, it's my mind that I miss the most!
SASS# 35973, BOLD #557, Tejas Caballeros, Texican Rangers and TSRA

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006, 08:23:09 PM »
Marlins fill the bill quite well and seem to be more reliable; my observation only, your results may vary.

More reliable than all other CAS rifles?
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Crooked Creek Kid

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2006, 08:53:23 PM »
I now shoot the Cimarron '73 Trapper with 16" bbl.  It holds 10 rounds of 38 sp. ammo with either the Snakebite Big Lube bullet or the Lyman 358665 with Holy Black.  Rifle is very quick handling.  It is my main match gun now.
I ain't often right but I've never been wrong.

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2006, 09:28:34 PM »
I attended my fust Cas shoot on the 15th o the month an shot my fust 'match' with my Henry BB :o hit the target every time but the truth be told I was a mite slow.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline SFT

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2006, 09:50:07 PM »
More reliable than all other CAS rifles?

Just my personal observation, yes, but keep in mind that most everyone (that I know at least) changes at least the ejector from the two piece to one at minimum.  Action jobs for the Marlin are cheaper too, and it's one you can do yourself with just a little studying.

Offline buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2006, 03:28:42 AM »
what are your opinions on the henry bigboy in .45 cal as a CAS gun?  it was SASS approved not to long ago, was'nt it?  im still in the market for my CAS rifle and have been goin nuts lookin.  boy this is fun!  :D

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2006, 07:15:08 AM »
Well--- since you're askin:
    I would have to say that, in my opinion, the Henry BB and the Winchester '94 are pretty much even as far as accuracy. I own both. The main diffrence, again, my opinion, is the weight, the Henry is the heavier rifle I forget the actual weight diffrence but I believe that the Henry is pretty close to 3lbs heavier. It is easier, though slower to load than is my Winchester. I like both equally, the Winchester because it is a Winchester and the Henry because it's so durn purty and eaiser to load. And as I said both are accurate rifles. Oh, by the bye both of mine are in .45 Colt caliber shot with my own home brew of powder and bullet(s).  8).
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2006, 07:55:11 AM »
Just my personal observation, yes, but keep in mind that most everyone (that I know at least) changes at least the ejector from the two piece to one at minimum.  Action jobs for the Marlin are cheaper too, and it's one you can do yourself with just a little studying.

I don't think that you can actually say that the Marlin is more reliable than a '73 and if a person is fast enough they are going to start consistently having problems with a Marlin.  In other words you can out run one.  If you do have a problem with a Marlin then chances are that you're going to have to fix it at the unloading table whereas a lot of times the problems occur with a '73 are able to be fixed in a matter of seconds and you do get to finish your rifle string.

The Marlin is definitely the least expensive of the two though and they are fine guns.  I would have no problem reccommending one to someone starting out and wanting to do so on a budget.
― Clint Eastwood

Offline SFT

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2006, 03:10:32 PM »
Look, this is just my observation, that's all.  It's not blanket advice.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com