Author Topic: Some people can't wait  (Read 2558 times)

44caliberkid

Some people can't wait
« on: March 08, 2006, 02:26:38 PM »
    First it was the "antique finish" pistols.  Now today I'm lookin' at the Smoky Mountain Knife Works catalog that came in the mail and they have "Pocket Worn" series of pocket knives, that already look like the one Gramps carried for 50 years and then gave to you.   I guess it's a comment on the "got to have it now", instant gratification urge that many (young) people feel today.  Like the jeans with patches, holes, and oil spots already built in.  Heck, I always thought gettin' things worn out yourself was half the fun.  Every mark (battle scar) has history and a story behind it.  Now the story is, "I just bought it that way."  B-o-o-o-ring!
    I carry a great memory of being about 8 years old and my Grandma giving my Grandpas old tackle box to my brother and me.  This was some years after he had died.  We had a great time going through that, finding old Red Eyes, Lazy Ikes, and a couple old pocket knives, one of which was a switchblade.  I still have an old Case from that find, my brother (older) got the switchblade.
   I guess you can just buy memories today, nobody has time to live any, too busy playing video games.

Offline Big John Denny

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Some people can't wait
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 02:49:31 PM »
I know what you mean Kid. I still have some of my maternal Grandfather's wood working tools. He was a cabinet maker by trade. He and my maternal Great Grandfather both worked on building the Panama Canal.

I had a pard ask me how much extra it might cost him to buy one of those "distressed" cowboy hats. I told him to just buy a new hat and wear it while working in the yard. It would get dusty and sweat stained at no extra charge in a few months.
Big John Denny, SASS 64775
US Army Retired
Los Vaqueros
BOLD #661
GOFWG #240
SBSS #1780 (Order of the Golden Bullet)
NMLRA
NRA
"Aim small....Miss small"

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 03:49:05 PM »
 You mean for once in my life my holy wranglers and worn out hats is in style ;D ;D ;D
Mathew 5.9

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:59:06 AM »

Offline Stump Water

• I ain't gonna worry about it.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 04:39:26 PM »
Ok... I think the antique finish on the pistols is pretty neat.  And I like old stuff... old tools, old money, old guns, old cars.

But this business of buyin' pre-worn-out clothes is beyond me.  And they cost more!  I just don't cotton to the ratty, discheveled look that seems to be the fashion trend.  I see people every day showing up for a job interview wearing clothes that I wouldn't deem fit for working in the yard.

Was in the Houston airport recently and saw a "kid" in business attire... nice pin-stripe trousers & matching jacket, clean white shirt, tie.  Only thing wrong was that he didn't have his shirt tucked in and the tail was hanging down below his jacket.  ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com