Author Topic: What else do you shoot?  (Read 7253 times)

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Handmade Pistol Grips
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What else do you shoot?
« on: August 22, 2004, 12:31:08 AM »
I figure that most of us, if not all, shoot CAS once in a while.  What else do you shoot? 

Me, I shoot an occasional IPSC match, Steel Challenge once a month, and now Western 3 Gun.  I've also dabbled in Sillywets.

I shoot Steel Challenge with my Rugers.  It sure is a test of skill!  It's done a world of good for my pistol shooting.

Doc

Offline Prof. Bullspit

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: What else do you shoot?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2004, 12:50:20 AM »
CAS is the only thing I've ever shot competitively. All the rest of my shooting experience has been plinking, or hunting. I came to CAS with good accuracy skills, getting myself to shoot fast (for me) has taken some work and getting used to.

I guess you could say you are cross training and that is often a good thing.

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2004, 01:22:12 AM »
It sure helps keep you from getting bored, and also forces you to improve your shooting skills.  Try some of the other games.

If you only have SA Revolvers, try steel challenge.  They have a category for it.

Doc

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:42:02 PM »

Offline El Peludo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2004, 01:42:57 PM »
 :P
I shoot a lot of bull!  'Course, you'all have already figger'd that out.  ;D

Seriously, I don't even shoot CAS, anymore, at least, not for the last few years; only two matches in that time, and the one major one I did shoot took me a week to recover from.  I've made a couple of sashays in the direction of high power rifle, and took a look at that action pistol game sort of like CAS except the folks dressed in cammo/mil, and used semi's and walked all over their ejected mags, and were too intense, and went way too fast for my tastes - it sort of bothered me.  Other than that, just plinkin' and huntin'.
El Peludo (The Hairy Man)
Las Vegas, Nevada Territory
Lifer in: Life, NRA, NAHC, SASS, SBSS,WARTHOG, DIRTY RATS
IBEW(Retired), Shooter since 1955.
             Roop County Cowboy (FF)
             Original Member: Grass Valley Rangers,
             Camp Beale Land and Cattle Company.

Offline Prof. Bullspit

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2004, 06:32:33 PM »
I shot with a friend a few times in Illinois and his range did a weekly bowling pin shoot. That was fun.

As for shooting other disciplines, I don't even know where a club is in my area. Then there is also the time factor.

If you could only shoot one game Doc, what would it be?

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2004, 06:48:44 PM »
Only one game?  I dunno.  I think I would burn out on whatever it was after a while and have to find something else to do.  That's one of the things I like about shootin.  So many choices!

Doc

Offline SIR WILLIAM

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2004, 12:51:06 AM »
I began with Bullseye.  I shoot PPC.  I like bowling pin shoots.  I may get into vintage battle rifle shooting.  I tried IPSC.  Too much ego from the other shooters.  CAS is easy and laid back.  I enjoy talking, smoking and shooting.  I am not into the competition much,  if at all.

Offline Sergeant Smokepole

• Dark Lord of The Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2004, 06:07:14 PM »
I use to shoot PPC, IPSC, IHMSA, IPA, Bullseye, Bowling pins, cans etc. Now, if it can't be shot with The Holy Black, I don't shoot it (except for trap).

Offline Sidewinder Sills

• Brush Popper
  • Active citizen
  • Work hard, play harder.....
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2004, 06:41:28 PM »
At the Escondido Fish & Game Club where I shoot with the Escondido Bandidos, we share the range with combat style shooters. I have no idea what IPSC and the rest of these shooting sports are, but one of my pards shoots this combat style as well. I am going to give it a try next month. Doc, I've been following your threads on other boards regarding the troubles you were having staying interested and that is what prompted me to give it a shot. I will be shooting my stock, un-modified Beretta 96 in .40cal

I have hesitated to try this as it was purchased mainly for defense prior to my getting into CAS. I shoot it probably 3 times a year now. My concern is, will this screw up my style now that I have adjusted to SA pistols? I am just getting my times competetive and don't want to go backward in CAS, as that is my primary shooting focus. Do you have any words of wisdom to impart? Prior to my involvement in CAS, semi-autos were all that I shot except for an old .357 magnum I was given.

I may or may not shoot combat on a regular basis. It looks like a lot of fun but I haven't decided if I want to reload another caliber. Getting crowded in my reloading area. And the way they do those speed dumps, they blow through a good amount of ammo. Thanks in advance.

Sidewinder~~~~~

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2004, 07:24:19 PM »
Sidewinder, shooting is shooting!  Make sure your grip is solid and that the gun doesn't shift around between shots.  And don't forget that little thing on the end of the gun.  Use your sights.  Good fundamentals carry over. 

Doc

Offline Gen Lew Wallace

• Major General, VIII Corps, Commander Middle Dept.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Savior of Washington D.C.
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2004, 09:16:27 AM »
This is the only thing I shoot.  I am thinking of giving a little try at skeet with my double gun.  That outta be fun.  :)
Retired USAF, 20 years defending my beloved nation
NRA Life, SUVCW, GAF#164, AF&AM, AASR

"This is my native state.  I will not leave it to serve the South.  Down the street yonder is the old cemetery, and my father lies there going to dust.  If I fight, I tell you, it shall be for his bones." -Lew Wallace, after the 1860 election

Offline Uncle Eph

• Top Active Citizen
  • Never trust anything designed after 1912
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2004, 10:56:48 AM »
silly-wet, buffalo, gong and long range all BP. ;D
WARTHOG, GAF #364, SASS #53354, BOLD #549, SBSS #1483, STORM #5, NRA, CRSO, ASSRA, SDOP, SUV, GOFWG #19, 7-7-79 SNL WINNER

Offline Micheal Fortune

• Top Active Citizen
    • Micheal Fortune
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2004, 09:54:26 AM »
   I shoot trap and a lot of at the range bull’s-eye, plinking and hunting.  The only competitive shooting I do is CAS, hey, who can afford more? :-)

Saloon Keeper, Gambler, Shootist
Sun River Rangers Shooting Society / SASS 60159 / R.O.-1 / SBSS 1685 / G.O.F.W.G. 89 / RATS 58 / KGC 4 /

Offline Standpat Steve

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2004, 09:39:29 PM »
I enjoy shooting skeet, and occaisionally sporting clays-but more as a shooting, social recreation-not really competitively. I would like to try IDPA sometime. I have tried IPSC and Steel Challenge, and enoyed them. My shooting partner for those last two activities died, so I haven't kept up with them. Maybe when my daughter graduates from High School in 2006 I'll suddenly find myself with both more time and more money ::)
Standpat Steve, SASS #113, NCOWS #1468

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2005, 05:59:44 AM »
I shoot as much as possible since I am also our Air Cav's (ARNG) Marksmanship Coordinator.
Rough %  by last year's weekend shootin':

SASS      35%
NCOWS    1%
Mil M-9     4%
HP Rifle    4%
Trap        1%
Practice   12%
Hunting   11%
Silhouette 1%
On duty  25%

This is knida typical.
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com