Author Topic: Reshaping a modern western hat ?  (Read 17596 times)

Offline Bristow Kid

• I've got a touch of hangover beuracrate. Don't push me
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Matthew(Matt) Bohach
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Reshaping a modern western hat ?
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2006, 10:47:38 AM »
Well Joss considering I havent even gotten my guns yet(damned Iowa weather rain sleet and snow this weekend kept me from the gun show I was going to) my hat is last on my list.  Dont take what I have said the wrong way cause I do truely appreciate all the help and feed back I get from you and all the other members when I have questions.  Sometimes like you said in a different post what you think and what you type dont always match.  LOL
Prayer Posse
SCORRS
NCOWS #2540
Grand Army of the Frontier #437
Department of the Missouri
PWDFR #149
RATS #233
SASS #68717
WARTHOG

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2006, 12:32:42 PM »
Bristow, to bad you live so far away, I'd take a crack at that hat.   If the hat is a fur blend, "not a wool", you can rig up a 5 gallon bucket and a piece of cardboard or plywood, bigger than the bucket with a hole in it slightly larger than the crown.  Put the hat in it upside down and pour it full of hot water after you turn the sweat band up and remove the lining.  The hot water will remove all or most of the pressed in factory  crease.  When drained, turn the sweat band back in wet the brim and put another piece of cardboard on top with some weight on it. 

Let it dry a couple of days and you have a PC open flat, ready to shape or wear as is.  If you want a stiffer hat, buy a spray can of hat stiffner at a western store and treat it per directions.   This may be needed for doing much serious shaping.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Pappy Hayes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2006, 10:00:17 AM »
I have a Bailt Tombstone hat, black, Gus crease, 4 inch brim. It is 2X wool. I have not actually written a persona, but I have worked to put together guns and clothing to be in the early 70's. I have thought about being an ex-Union Calvery soldier and now a US Marshal. What would you suggest for the shape of my hat? I have a picture but not sure how to put it this post.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 03:55:47 AM »

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2006, 11:51:13 AM »
Pappy Hayes,

If you think that your eventual persona will have a post ACW Army background, you could convert your hat to a "campaign" hat which you would have taken with you when you mustered out.  You could put a horse hair hat band on it to civilianize it.  OR, you could make a Montant peak which goes back to the mid 70's but was not common until the 80's.
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Pappy Hayes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2006, 12:45:43 PM »
Dr. Bob where can I find some photos of a campaign hat? This isn't the same as the Union Slouch is it? I need to decide what I want before my friend moves to Montana. He is a real good hat shapper and I want him to reshap my straw hat and my wool felt hat.

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2006, 12:52:13 PM »
Pappy;

Look at the cover art on The Soldiers, Time-Life Old west series. (As well as numerous photos therein.)

If your friend moves to Montana before you get your hat done, I know another guy who is real good.  But we need to catch him before he moves back to Utah.  If fact I think he is out in Blue Springs.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2006, 01:16:53 PM »
The Bailey Tombstone is a wool felt, but the Bailey wool felts are the best to work in in my not always so humble opinion.  I've done major reshaping on several of them.  Do not do my hot water trick on them and remember, "Stiffener is your friend with these." 
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Pappy Hayes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2006, 01:35:34 PM »
Books OToole what is the name of your fireind?  Said Montana but my be Utah. My friend is William Fox. Just call him Fox. He bought my hat steamer I had when I had my store. I never got around to learn how to use it. I tried on a cheap hat but it did not turn out very good, partly the thin felt and it was my first attempt.

Offline Trap

• NCOWS
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John Torrence
  • NCOWS #: 851
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2006, 01:42:51 PM »
  It's a small world.      jt
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
 Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2006, 01:47:48 PM »
Pappy;

We have a mutual friend.  I picked up a very nice modern cowboy hat at a local thift store and Will turned in into a primo Montana Peak for me.  If you go to the Barracks and scroll down to the GAF Muster pictures, you will se me wearing the hat at the banquette. (I'm also wearing a dark green frock coat.)

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2006, 02:03:38 PM »
Pappy;

I just BTTed the Collages of the GAF Muster 2005.  The picture I am refering to is on page 4, post # 39, in the upper right hand corner.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Pappy Hayes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2006, 02:03:56 PM »
Books

I must be missing something. I could not find GAF muster pictures under the Barracks. I going to try get a hold of Fox this week to see if he can work on my hats this weekend. I was posting the same time you were. I found it. THe Montana Peaks I am use to seeing is with three indents and the front two slop more. I think I remember Fox talking about the 4 indents. May have been talking about your hat because I remember him mentioning he just finished one. Small world.

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2006, 02:21:26 PM »
Pappy;

The one you described is a "Montana Slope."  A "Montana Peak" is the forerunner to the "Smokey Bear" hat.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2006, 10:39:59 PM »
I would like to jump in with a few questions.

I finished reshaping a Stetson Texas Ranger style to a flat topped (Yes) Boss of the Plains style.  I used a plastic toy cowboy hat (Woody - Toy Story style) as an inside mold.  Now stop laughing, it worked.

My questions are:  1.  I have 3 Stetons all marked. One listed as 1st Quality and the other is 4X Beaver the third no listing just a name.  What one is the better Quality?  How do you repair little buggy holes in a hat or a slight cut?  If the material is pressed together shouldn't you be able to repair them?

Del thanks before hand for any help.
Black River Smith

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2006, 09:57:31 AM »
The ratings on hats have changed over the years for most companies.  The best judge of quality is feel, hard to explain unless you have several hats in front of you and someone shows you the difference that really understands hats.

As for holes and cracks I have found no way to fix them, either by experimenting or from anyone else.   I'd just rough shape it and use it as a work hat.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com