Author Topic: english Weapons  (Read 3193 times)

Offline Knuckles McDaniel

• Piano Player in the Longbranch
  • Very Active Citizen
    • Knuckles McDaniel, Actor
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
english Weapons
« on: February 26, 2006, 11:09:30 AM »
In Ncowsis all nationalities allowed in charactors and personas. For I am a Mcdaniel ..Brit ?irshman Musicain . are English weapons allowed in Ncows  The weaopn of my choice is a Webley. estab about 1887 -1940s or would i need to change weapons . if need so please send Info.
dont tell me mumm you saw me working here
She think I play piano in a cat house

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: english Weapons
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 11:59:47 AM »
Approved Cartridge Firearms

Revolvers, Reproductions

SAA 1873 Colt clones by EMF, Navy Arms, Cimarron, Uberti, Armi San Marco, EAA ,and Beretta.

Colt Bisley models distributed by EMF, Navy Arms, and Cimarron.

Colt 1873 Target models distributed by Navy Arms

Colt 1872 Open Top Models distributed by EMF, Cimarron, and Navy Arms.

Conversion Models distributed by Cimarron, Navy Arms, & others.

Ruger Full-size Vaquero

Remington 1875 and 1890 SA manufactured by Armi San Marco, Beretta, & Uberti.

Smith & Wessons distributed by Navy Arms, Cimarron and others.

Conversion cylinders by Kirst and R&D

Taurus Gaucho

Pocket Pistol

Any approved hand gun with 4 inch barrel or shorter; any approved pistol caliber.

Rifles, Reproductions

Winchester Models 1860, 1866, 1873, 1886, and 1892 manufactured by Armi San Marco, Uberti, and others

Winchester ’94s if they retain the physical characteristics and appearance of 1894 models manufactured prior to 1899, in approved cartridges.

Marlin ’94 and ’95s if they retain the same appearance as the originals prior to 1899, and as long as they are chambered in approved calibers/cartridges and safe in operation.

Colt Lighting models by Tri-Star and others

Spencer, all models

Sharps by Pedersoli,  Armscor, and others

Remington Rolling Blocks

Winchester 1885 High and Low Wall

Ballard, all models

Springfield 1873 Trapdoor, all models

Remington Hepburn models

Shotguns, Reproductions

Winchester 1897 pumps by Norinco and Tri-Star

Side-by-Side/Double Barrels: approved models are too numerous to list here.

Winchester 1887 lever-action 12 ga.

http://www.ncows.org/Bylaws.htm

If a gun does not appear on here, than you can get it approved by Congress.  Probably not a lot of objections to getting a Period Correct Revolver approved, just a matter of getting it to the Congress.  Yes, individual members can petition Congress.  Also, Trap is the NCOWS Judge.  He can be of great assistance and is reachable via CAS City.  Now, Rattlesnake Jack out of Canada shoots a Webley and I personally would LOVE to get one...

Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Offline French Jack

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 12:40:37 PM »
Knuckles,
Your Webley is acceptable under the approval for original firearms, provided it is a model that was made prior to 1899.  It does not matter whether it is single or double action.  The Webleys and Bulldogs were certainly available to the average public in our time frame, 1865-1899. 
French Jack

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:50:15 PM »

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 01:08:30 PM »
I remember this question being asked and answered  a year or so back - when TFS was more 'vibrant'.

As far as your Impression goes - ask 'where' an Irishman emigrating to the States would've gotten his revolver - because it certainly wasn't going to be from  Army Ordnance Stores.

They weren't accomodating at all towards former soldiers - less so towards Irish ones.

Your Webley would most likely be a Bull Dog - in .450 - or perhaps one of the 'British Bulldog' varieties as imported and sold by several firms.
(spelling intentional - 'Bull Dog' was Webley's term)

I did a 'Note' on those - in the 'Historical Society Forum' that you may find of use.

Should your Impression be that of a former Officer of Her Majesty's Forces - you could be expected to have one of the larger of the Webley line - and you'd'vve been able to buy it from the Army - or from the Army-Navy Cooperative - and it'd be 'yours'.

There were no 'surplus sales'  at the time, so it wouldn't be an 'issue' weapon.

For your Impression of a Piano Player - a good Bull Dog would be a great choice.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 02:42:09 PM »
The .455 Webley I have used at the GAF musters was a MkVI revolver - a pattern which was not adopted until 1915, but it has been my understanding that it was nevertheless permitted under this provision:  "No modern (post 1899) firearms will be allowed unless they are authentic reproductions of traditional firearms or very markedly resemble traditional firearms."

The design and function of the Webley MkVI British service revolver and its immediate predecessor, the MKV (1913) were essentially the same as most of the earlier models, the MkIV (1899),  MkIII (1897) and MkII (1894).  The MkVI service revolver in fact also "markedly resembles" various pre-1900 Webley commercial models which officers would have been prone to purchase (as they were required to do) to use as their personal sidearms.

Matter of fact, I definitely remember seeing something in print specifically approving the MkVI Webley, though now I can't locate it, of course.  (Was it perhaps in the Grand Army of the Frontier guidelines?  As luck would have it, the GAF Website is "down" at present, so I have been unable to check.)
Anybody know?  Major Matt?   ???

Mind you, I still hope to get the cylinder stop spring repaired in my 1889 Webley "WG Target" revolver this winter ... in which case I'll have a revolver which will unquestionably qualify, and be much more accurate than the MKVI Service revolver!
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 02:47:07 PM »
What Rattlesnake says is correct....The Webley IV would indeed be legal just the same as my Colt 3rd Generation and my 1901 Colt Army....which is a newer version of the 1892 Colt New Army/Navy....
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Offline Knuckles McDaniel

• Piano Player in the Longbranch
  • Very Active Citizen
    • Knuckles McDaniel, Actor
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2006, 03:07:10 PM »
1.what i like about the webleys is that they have the break top system Like the S&Ws
2.But me being small handed in nature
3 also my isles sir name i fellt the webely would be more approperate .
 4And No I was not an officer marerial...my Persona I was on the other side when HMF came over.
to escape i took to america and to the west.
dont tell me mumm you saw me working here
She think I play piano in a cat house

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2006, 03:49:26 PM »
I have seen Webleys used for years at the nationals.  Perhaps your persona is that of one who obtained his gun through other means than purchase, if you get my drift.  Perhaps he waylayed one of her Majesties's officers and appropriated his sidearm.

No one would question his having it on this side of the pond.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2006, 11:45:40 PM »
Howdy Knuckles,

While Will is right about you having one and using it in NCOWS matches,  BEWARE!!, he is a Pink and might not be nearly so nice in person.  Just ask GW.  ;D ;D  Us folks of Irish descent have to stick together! ::)
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com