Author Topic: 10.5 mm Swiss Vetterli Brass & loading data  (Read 10230 times)

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
10.5 mm Swiss Vetterli Brass & loading data
« on: February 21, 2006, 08:57:43 PM »
Howdy foks,

I have a chance to purchase a Swiss Vetterli bolt action rifle in 10.5 mm Swiss.  I have wanted one of these since I was a teenager.

Does anyone know of a source of brass for this rifle?  Loading data?

Thanks!
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
Re: 10.5 mm Swiss Vetterli Brass & loading data
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 09:19:32 PM »
Uh, Bob....................it's a rimfire. ;D  However, if you're a handy machinist go here:

http://www.militaryrifles.com/Switzerland/VetConversion/VetterliShooting.html

Offline Lone Gunman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The Lone Gunman ...as himself
    • Lone-Gunman.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 10:24:54 PM »
That's certainly an informative link. The procedure outlined in "Imported Military Firearms 1866-1899" is a little less involved:

Ammunition: First you will have to convert your gun to centerfire, which is not as hard as it sounds. Remove bolt after sliding out wedge in receiver, unscrew cap, and remove all parts except extractor. This is removed by tapping it rearward and lifting out. The claw firing pin, which strikes the rim at two points, should be saved for future generations. Some guns have a hole under the buttplate to store a spare. Now drill a 1/16" hole in the center of the bolt face and braze a piece of 1/16" drill rod to the end of the original striker. When fully forward, the new firing pin should be even with the extractor hook. With this method, the bolt can be easily converted back to rimfire if need be. NGS* can also convert your bolt for $30.
10.4x38R (.41 Swiss) cases are made by cutting .348 Win. brass to 38mm and expanding to hold .44 cal. 300 gr. SWC bullets. Reload with .44 Spl. dies and taper crimp. Groove dia. is about .335". The main problem with this cartridge is the short neck and OAL of 2.2" which means that the bullet is barely seated. The OAL must be exact in order for the lifter to function properly as the tubular magazine does not have a cartridge retainer. You can avoid this problem by taking advantage of the single-shot feature: By not retracting the bolt fully, the lifter will stay down and cartridges placed on top of it can be loaded individually.
Be sure to examine your chamber for two peened-over points, caused by dry firing, which might cause difficulties.

You can also get the brass from Buffalo Arms for about a buck & a quarter in small quantities. http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,20.htm
George "Lone Gunman" Warnick

"...A man of notoriously vicious & intemperate disposition"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:52:27 PM »

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 01:10:05 AM »
Fox Creek Kid,

Thanks for the great link!  I will share it with my gunsmith.  I had the store put it on hold for me untill next Wed. when my pension payment comes.

Lone Gunman,

I found a gentleman in Texas that had a mold made off of a bullet from an original cartridge.  He sells the bullets for $20 per 100 and loaded ammo for $38 for 20 rounds.  Looks like the best way go will be to buy 100 rounds of brass from Buffalo Arms and a couple of hundred bullets from Texas.

The original shaped bullet will insure proper feeding.  It is a 350 gr. bullet and he recommends 55 gr. of black.  The bullet has a concave base and lube grooves and then a step which is at the proper seating depth.  Even I can get the proper lenth with that bullet!  ;D ;D

WaaaaaaHooooooo buckaroo!!  Can't wait!
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2006, 12:09:48 PM »
As a side note, these rifles were once fairly common in the North-West part of Nebraska.  It seems that one Jules Sandoz, a Swiss immigrent who located land for settlers imported possibly up to several hundred of these in the 1890's. 

He sold these to homesteaders at cost as proctection from the rancers whose pastures they were cutting up.  US companies loaded the ammo at the time.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2006, 05:17:09 PM »
Thanks Del!  Real interesting.
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator