Author Topic: Uberti Walkers and Dragoons  (Read 15221 times)

Offline J.W.Neely

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Uberti Walkers and Dragoons
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2004, 06:13:26 PM »
what was the question...oh yea..

but me still wants a Walker...

600 post, man I had better get busy....
Black powder shooting is like holding history in your hands.

Offline Rock Ridge Red

• Citizen
    • People to People
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2004, 01:23:33 AM »
A pard of mine shoots a pair of Walkers. You can tell when he is shooting cause posse members start pushing in thier ear plugs a little tighter.  :)  If style points counted, he would win every match. Absolutely no question on spotting. I joke that I can spot his pistol shots with my eyes closed. Very cool. I used to have a Walker, but sold it. (long before I ever heard of CAS) Wish I had it back now.

RRR

Offline SIR WILLIAM

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2004, 03:27:23 AM »
Sorry, I was a little busy today.  There are three things WRONG with the 47 Walker.  First,  it is still a horse pistol.  You need a horse to pack it for long.  I cannot imagine a three day shoot with a pair of them.  You can use them for curls to build your biceps.  Second is that there is nothing ergonomic about them.  They are uncomfortable to hold one-handed.  They suffer in balance.  The grip is just not easy for me to palm.  Every single item is a far reach to make contact with.  You can hurt in places you didn't know you could hurt if you shoot one for long.  My thumb feels like it has been twisted after a match.  Third thing wrong is that front rammer.  When a stout BP load goes BOOM!  you know it was a 47 Walker from the cussing.  I have beaten my knuckles bloody. I like the more advanced Dragoons. 

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 11:15:29 PM »

Offline J.W.Neely

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2004, 06:35:28 AM »
I think I could overcome the front rammer problem, the big question is, can they be fired duelist style.
( not to mention actually finding the money to buy one)

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2004, 06:37:46 AM »
Hah! Cuts has been out catching real bad guys, no time to mess wif a pair of two bit Brand Blotters right now! ;)

Sir William has pretty much summed up my feelings concerning the Walker. However, it does make a danged good deer pistol, iffin yer stand hunting! :D
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2004, 09:19:12 AM »
what was the question...oh yea..

but me still wants a Walker...

600 post, man I had better get busy....
I double dog dare ya to try to catch up.

Slim

PS. Nice picture!
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2004, 09:24:33 AM »
Hah! Cuts has been out catching real bad guys, no time to mess wif a pair of two bit Brand Blotters right now! ;)
I resemble that remark!  ;D

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline El Peludo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2004, 04:51:24 PM »
 ;D OK, OK!!  Let's all get the laffin' done now, so's we can have a seryus an' rashunal discussin', here.  I got's an idee about that lever on th' Walkers a fallin' down all the time.

I know that there are some metal massaging techniques that can improve this problem some, but how about a more complicated idea?  Get a strap of strong, but fairly light weight leather of some sort, horse, buff, or rawhide comes to mind.  Cut it about four to six inches long, and a half inch or so wide at one end and narrowing towards the other.  In the fat end, cut a teardrop shaped "eye", with the point of the teardrop to the fat end of the strap; at the right length, tie a knot, or a bead, or ???, into it.  Wrap that sucker around the barrel and lever, pull the knot thru the hole, and "lookee there!"; no more falling lever.  Speed in reloads sure should not be an issue, here; should it??  Might get ya' a style point or two.  Or, maybe ya' could use a piece of velcro?? :o ;D
El Peludo (The Hairy Man)
Las Vegas, Nevada Territory
Lifer in: Life, NRA, NAHC, SASS, SBSS,WARTHOG, DIRTY RATS
IBEW(Retired), Shooter since 1955.
             Roop County Cowboy (FF)
             Original Member: Grass Valley Rangers,
             Camp Beale Land and Cattle Company.

Offline Big John Wyatt

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2004, 05:51:41 PM »
JW, I like shootin my massive 1847 Walkers. There is something.. spiritual.. 8) about using these as your match guns. Yea, the loading lever will drop down ever now and then, but they did that when The Rangers shot them too. It becomes part of the routine to use the off hand to lock it back in place( or the barrel of the the other one whilst shooting duelist,  but only for 2 stages till I had to break out the ice packs for my wrists, oh, and the 170 was never in danger). Mine are very accurate and function well. You certainly get a lot of style points.

BJW
Thunder River Renegades
Texas Regulators
SASS# 38825
----------------------------
Last night I saw a cowgirl, and she was floatin' across the ceilin'
----------------------------
Back in Black
-----------------------------
SCORRS, STORM 177
-----------------------------
WARTHOG "BY GAWD"

Offline J.W.Neely

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2004, 07:33:10 PM »
I'm going to trade something off and raise the funds for 1 Walker.
I just can't decide who has to go.

Offline Mr. Buffalodung

• Sootlord, SCORRS VP
  • Citizen
  • soot lord, scorrs vp
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2004, 09:26:14 PM »
Howdy pards,
                   Aint no x-pert but I have been shoot'en these guns for years, got my first Dragoon when I was just 14,,,,dang that was a long time ago!! Anyway, been shoot'en the Walkers & Dragoons in cas for 3 or 4 years now(i shoot Rem.s lot too) and have several of each, even got a double shoulder rig(thanks to kid couteau) for the Dragoons and with a pair of them under your arm pits and a pair of Walkers on your hips you got to remember one thing, dont bend over, cause you'll fall down!!
                   The lever thing is an easy fix on the Walker and if you shoot a full charge in the Dragoons, it will cause the lever to fall as well, theres an easy fix to that too. The walkers are heavy but to me they point very well as do the Dragoons. Out of the box most of the Walkers will shoot pretty much point of aim at a modest distance but the Dragoons, much like the 51's & 60's tend to shoot high, again an easy fix, I've had of my front sites replaced on the Dragoons with a "very" taller one, then I just take it down a little at a time untill it suites me.
       Heard a lot of folks talk about beating their wedge up by shooting a full charge but I've found I can shoot a 6 stage match(i've done this many times with the same pair just to see) with 55gr. of "2F" with no ill effect, "3F" is another story, higher pressures will cause some damage after a time. I'll also loads up 3 pair sometimes, that way their only getting a full charge for 2 stages instead of 6, its easier on the guns but makes clean up time a lot longer!!
       Anyway, I love these guns, if ya'll are ever in my neck of the woods and would like to shoot a match with some Horse Pistols,
I would be more than happy to loan you a pair.
ps- that was a Walker that the Duke called a Dragoon in True Grit, the Walker was named after Col. Sam Colt & Col. Sam Walker, the Dragoon was named after some military outfit that was named after the Dragoon Mnt.'s if my old memory serves me right,,,, lots of times it dont though!!
AINT BLACKPOWDER GREAT!!
IF IT DONT KICK,, WHY SHOOT IT!!
SASS  27408

Red River regulators of N.E. Tx.
Critter Creek of S.W. Ar.
The BadlandsBar3 of English Tx.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com