Author Topic: Question about shooting glasses  (Read 7033 times)

Offline Will Pluggum

• Mesa, Arizona
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS 57339, NRA
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Question about shooting glasses
« on: March 06, 2004, 11:23:08 AM »
If you don't have to wear glasses to see, this post isn't for you.  Problem.  I have to wear glasses to focus on the front sight.  If I wear bifocals, I'm tipping my head back when I shoot in order to get the magnifying (lower) part of the lens lined up with the sight.  Same with transition lens.  Very uncomfortable.  If I wear reading glasses I can't see when I'm not shootin, everythings a blur, I don't need glasses past 3 feet.  I keep swapping between reading and regular safety glasses which is annoying and against range rules while firing is going on.  What  works best for you at the range?
N.R.A. ....the big posse' is keepin an eye on them bushwackers for us....JOIN UP!   www.nra.org

Offline Dogwoman

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Question about shooting glasses
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2004, 12:28:34 PM »
Don't know if this helps you or not.

I went to my eye doctor, showed him the distance I needed on the rifle and pistol sights and he set up my no-line bifoocals for that range.  They work GREAT.

The middle of the transition lens is set up for the rifle/pistol sights. The lower is for reading, and the upper for long distance.  I've had no problem since I got them.

SASS 22073
NRA Life
Past Quartermaster, Wahsatch Desperadoes
Deseret Historical Shooting Society
Wasatch Summit Regulators
Guide Dog Puppy Raiser

Offline JimWild

• Citizen
    • San Joaquin Valley Rangers
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2004, 01:30:11 PM »
I had the doc set my progressives up the same way. Head level front sight in focus.... works like a dream.

JimWild
Keep a deep seat, a tight rein, and a far off look in yer eye.

MRO1, Mounted Shooter

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:21:18 PM »

Offline Will Pluggum

• Mesa, Arizona
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS 57339, NRA
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2004, 03:21:46 PM »
Dogwoman and Jim Wild...I didn't know you could have glasses made like that.  Thanks very much, you just handed me the solution to my problem......Pluggum ;D ;D
N.R.A. ....the big posse' is keepin an eye on them bushwackers for us....JOIN UP!   www.nra.org

Offline Bill Mc Call

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2004, 02:30:08 AM »
Have the same problem Will, you ' ve ask the question, we got both an answer to our needs  ;)
I like that place, is the Bar open?

Foothills Drifter

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2004, 09:19:32 AM »
Howdy......
There are a bunch of us here that can't see. I tried with bifocals and trifocals and was not happy. I told the Eye Doc the problem and he gave me a prescription for progressive lenses. They work just fine. I don't like em for everyday use, just shootin. I use bifocals when not shootin.

Good shootin......
Vern... 8)

Offline Shiloh Sharpie

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2004, 11:35:06 AM »
I wear 1.75 reading glasses so I might not have the same level of distress as others.  I shoot bullseye pistol and found that a .75 to 1.0 diopter works for that discipline in a set of Knoblochs.  Now the advantage of the knobloch or others like them is that you can use an iris with the lens.  The lens brings the sights in focus and the iris stopped down sharpens the target.  So.......I found a pair of 1.0 reading glasses in a store and use them for shooting Cowboy.  I see the sights and the target (which is slightly but not overly blurry) and I use a pair of safety glasses over the reading glasses for protection.  I used to care how this all looked, but my sight and safety mean more to me than image.  Hope this assists in some small way.
Shiloh Sharpie
SASS 10477 Life
-------------------------------------------------------
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them.

Offline Will Pluggum

• Mesa, Arizona
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS 57339, NRA
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2004, 03:50:09 PM »
Shiloh..not familiar with 'knoblochs'.  Could you tell me a little more about them?

Offline Klondike

• Very Active Citizen
    • Cowtown Katy's Emporium
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2004, 04:29:11 PM »
I wear trifocals, pain the rear for shooting. The eye Doc, some of them will let you bring your guns in, check first, said bring in the guns and checked distances, and set my shooting glasses accordingly. I have a clear sight picture, a little fuzzy target (not a problem) and all is well. I can wear them most all day and still function, do have to hold stage directions out past normal reading distance, but still works real well.

Offline Shiloh Sharpie

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2004, 12:28:01 PM »
Knoblochs are pure shooting glasses, not safety.  They are highly configurable and usually have  a lens on one side, blinder on the other, iris on shooting eye and other acessories.  They are German made. Champion is a Swiss made counterpart.  If you go onto Champion's Choice website - they are a bullseye shooter's vendor - you can see Knoblochs and Champions.  After viewing, if you have questions I will be happty to try to answer them.  Their website is at http://www.champchoice.com/
Shiloh Sharpie
SASS 10477 Life
-------------------------------------------------------
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com