Special Interests - Groups & Societies > 1860 Henry

Answer from Henry Rep Arms Corp

<< < (5/7) > >>

LazyK Pejay:
The action seemed good to me and the rifle has a good feel. As for looks I don't see the problem, but to each his own. As for marketing I think a disclaimer that this is not part of Winchester Arms or linked to the first Henry would be a good move. Perhaps a statement saying this Henry is built and designed in the great Henry tradition would work. However, to me this is much ado about nothing (or at least very little about something) ;)

LazyK Pejay

Fox Creek Kid:
Driftwood, I like you but I think you're wrong on the history of the name here. It's covered in the Herbert Houze Winchester history book. Houze was the former curator of the Buffalo Bill Ctr. Winchester division. The company only had this name briefly and it irritated O.F. Winchester so he changed it again to Winchester. The Houze book is THE book on the company's history. Here's an Internet reference as well but the Houze book has primary sources if you still doubt.

http://www.thckk.org/winchester-hist.html

LazyK Pejay:
Fox Creek,

Thx for the link. I did not realize Olin owned Winchester. I assume it was a corporate buyout of a struggling company? Since Winchester discarded the Henry name it seems Olin has not a problem with Henry Repeating Arms. One thing about this company is the advertising; American made. With that in mind one could consider supporting an American company when so much of what we shoot is made in Italy. Thx again.

LazyK Pejay

Advertising:

Driftwood Johnson:
Fox Creek Kid

I researched a little bit more, and it seems you are correct. The company was indeed called Henry for about a year just before Winchester named it after himself. I just bought the Wilson book and that is what Wilson says. He does not mention the part about Henry attempting to take over the company. I don't have the book handy, so I don't have the exact wording of the company name, but I will concede that point, there was a historical Henry company for a very short time. I apoligize for being incorrec on that point.

It still does not change the fact that the present company plucked the name out of thin air.

Driftwood Johnson:
I can remember when I was a kid, Winchester ammo had the Olin Matheson name on the box in small letters, and that was a long, liong time ago.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version