Author Topic: Contact cement?  (Read 2846 times)

Offline Dark Star

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Contact cement?
« on: February 07, 2006, 12:18:35 PM »
Is there a reason I should not use DAP Weldwood Contact Cement for my leatherwork? I've used it for quite a number of items and it seems to do a very nice job, but I will be needing more soon and I'm wondering if I'd be better off with Duall or Barge cement.

Is there a difference in these products in regard to leatherwork? The DAP is available at Home Depot, it's not that expensive and I save on shipping, so it's an attractive choice for me.
Dark Star
SASS #62041

NRA Member
SCORRS
SBSS #1805

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
Re: Contact cement?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 04:22:27 PM »
Barge is the best I've used. I glued a wallet for a friend of mine one time when the stitching wore out. 10 years later he finallly bought a new wallet because the leather wore through but the glue was still holding fast. The secret to Barge is to tap the glued part with a smooth hammer to set the bond. Assuming, of course, that you got good penetration with the wet glue.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Rascal Ralph

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 04:29:20 PM »
I switched to Weldwood when my ex-wife, a profesional leather worker did. The reason being that it stays better in the can,(more fluid). It has the same bonding qualities a Barge. RR
In case you don't know me, I'm just a friend you hadn't met yet.

Sass # 67604

SBSS # 1822

GOFWG # 283

RATS # ???

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:46:49 AM »

Offline Klondike

• Very Active Citizen
    • Cowtown Katy's Emporium
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 09:58:18 PM »
I had concerns with both (not a bout holding, but being able to stitch thru them with a machine), I have had trouble when hand stitching and the glue would get on the needle and gum it up. So far with the sewing machine I have not had that problem, really works great. I can't tell that much difference in the brands.
Now can life is a nother concern, if it dries out too fast, it isn't worth having.
Good post, keep us up on what you get in can life.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com