Author Topic: inside treatment  (Read 3576 times)

Offline sweettooth

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
inside treatment
« on: February 02, 2006, 08:45:10 PM »
 What is the best thing to use on the inside of an unlined holster to protect the finish on the gun ?
                                                             Thank you gentlemen    H.C  Sweettooth
storm
usmc 67 70
dav
semper fi

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
Re: inside treatment
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 10:12:37 PM »
I don't put anything on the lining. You don't keep your guns in the holster other than for a match.

If I was keeping mine in the holster, I'd let the gun oil seep into the leather to help. My father kept his Colt in a holster from the day he bought it until he died. That was over 60 years. The gun oil seemed to protect the finish for the most part although the finish was worn off where the pistol slid in and out of the holster a lot. He'd clean and oil the gun periodically. The holster had absorbed a lot of oil over the years.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline sweettooth

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 09:08:57 AM »
 Thanks for answering . I had a ruger single six in a fast draw holster back in 1972 . thats how I always kept it even treied to sand the leather.  Thought there me be some better product than rem oil. But you know they have been trying to come up with a better auto design than john brownings 1911 and havent done it yet.  Old ways are sometimes the better chice.
                                                                                                                              Truly HC.  Sweettooth
storm
usmc 67 70
dav
semper fi

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:22:45 PM »

Offline Triggersmith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 09:35:03 PM »
I rub some Thompson Center's Bore Butter on the inside of my holsters.  Lined and un-lined.  Not too much, just a dab. Keeps the pits off your barrels and smells good too.  doesn't seep through to the outside.
Triggersmith
Watch yer topknot
Triggersmith
See my ads in Cas City Classifieds

Offline Klondike

• Very Active Citizen
    • Cowtown Katy's Emporium
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2006, 10:06:00 AM »
With today's leather (holsters) it is not a good idea to store a pistol in them. Mostly because you do not know where the leather was tanned, this is especially true of the lower cost holsters. Some leather other than USA's are tanned with an acidic process and will cause the blueing to come off or rust to form. USA's vegetable tanned leather is safer, but still runs a risk because of the dyeing process (what dye was used). As stated it is fine for a match but not for long term storage. JHMO

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com