Author Topic: Capper for 1858 Rem New Army Model .44  (Read 6886 times)

Offline Wannabe Cowboy

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Capper for 1858 Rem New Army Model .44
« on: January 29, 2006, 06:46:25 PM »
What is the best Capper for the '58 New Army Model .44? There are several shown on the Cabela site. Which one is the best, and easiest (safest) to use? Thanks.
Wannabe Cowboy
in2bashun@bellsouth.net
The best thing for the inside of a man, is the outside of a horse.

Offline Halfway Creek Charlie

• AKA Old Dragoon,The Gunslinger and other no so polite names...
  • Top Active Citizen
  • My Wyatte Earp Impression
  • Liked:
Re: Capper for 1858 Rem New Army Model .44
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 08:04:49 PM »
An inline capper works best, but you may have to take the cap keeper(feed end) off and reshape the end. I bought a cheap Traditions inline capper , removed the black flat spring from the feed end and reshaped the square end lip to match the nipple cutout in the cylinder. works pretty well but none of the cappers work extremely well. Inlines are the best however.
SAS-76873
NCOWS-2955
SCORRS
STORM-243
WARTHOG

Shooting History (original), Remy NMA Conversions, 1863 New Model Pocket Model C.F. Conversion, Remy Model 1889 12Ga. Coach Gun
2nd. Gen. "C" Series Colt 1851 Navies
Centennial Arms/Centaur 1860 Armies
1860 Civilian Henry 45LC (soon to be 44 Henry Flat C.F.(Uberti)
Remingon Creedmore Rolling Block 45-70 (Pedersoli)

"Cut his ears off and send them to that Marshall in Sheridan" Prentice Ritter

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 08:36:29 PM »
The Ted Cash in-line capper with two steel springs on the tip fits with the most clearance. I grind off the "lips" so they are out of the way. If you can get the steel rather than the brass capper, it will be less likely to bend when you frantically cap on the clock.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:03:19 AM »

Offline Halfway Creek Charlie

• AKA Old Dragoon,The Gunslinger and other no so polite names...
  • Top Active Citizen
  • My Wyatte Earp Impression
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 07:30:32 AM »
I've never shot Frontiersman and didn't realize that you "...capped on the clock..."
I thought all capping was done at the loading station. do you charge the sixth chamber and then cap it on the clock or do you have to charge and cap at the same time??

I shoot Frontier Cartridge and just the pistol targets until Ii get completely set up (I don't mind donating my money to shoot) and I shoot (right now) one C & B Revolver and one Conversion Revolver. Did have a stage where we had to reload on the clock and of course I used the Conversion for that part of the stage. I use 3 C & B cylinders, capped at the loading station.
SAS-76873
NCOWS-2955
SCORRS
STORM-243
WARTHOG

Shooting History (original), Remy NMA Conversions, 1863 New Model Pocket Model C.F. Conversion, Remy Model 1889 12Ga. Coach Gun
2nd. Gen. "C" Series Colt 1851 Navies
Centennial Arms/Centaur 1860 Armies
1860 Civilian Henry 45LC (soon to be 44 Henry Flat C.F.(Uberti)
Remingon Creedmore Rolling Block 45-70 (Pedersoli)

"Cut his ears off and send them to that Marshall in Sheridan" Prentice Ritter

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Offline sundance44`s

• SASS# 61233 and Alamo Kat SASS 79338 , ColdwaterLongRifles , HatchieRunLongRifles .NRA.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • No Place Special , MS.
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 08:11:14 AM »
someone sure needs to make a capper that will work on the remmies .. the only one i`ve got that works is made by knight made for the inlines .. and it only holds 9 caps .. so it isn`t much good still have to open a cap can . i did find a nice silver can that is just a little bigger than a cap can and heavyer , i keep it in a vest pocket and it works well , not as much fumbling to get it open and it has a wider opening for my big fingers ..lol  i think dixie gun works carrys these type cans pretty cheap made from everything from wood to german silver .
Remington Americas Oldest GunMaker

You boys gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 09:47:21 PM »
1/2 way Cr. Charlie,
Capping on the clock only occurs where there is a call for a RELOAD on the clock. 99% of the time it is a stage where you cap at the loading table.

Here's an old posting of mine regarding cappers:
For the Colts just about any in-line capper will do. I have improved upon them by grinding off a little of the tip of the spring that protrudes beyond where it holds the cap. The brass part opposite the steel spring is also ground back some so the capper can be placed directly over the cones (the polite Victorian term for "nipples"). The grindings eliminate the extra metal that gets in the way of fast capping on the clock.
For the Remingtons, the Ted Cash in-line capper is best because the two thin steel springs that hold the cap in place will fit into the tighter cylinder/cone cutout better. I also grind off the extra spring steel that sticks out beyond the cap. The brass part under the cap on the Ted Cash in-line cappers tends to bend back when capping in a hurry and is the only weakness in the design that I have seen. The cheepo cappers from McGees @$3.90 [no longer in business] each work fine for me after grinding.
As for the teardrop cappers, I keep dropping caps out of them and losing caps in the gravel at the range. When they work, they work well.
I keep an in-line capper and cone pick on a cord through my vest button hole for on the clock  "reloads".
Black Jack, see all the tricks to the trade you can learn just by the asking? I keep giving away all my secrets and more and more folks like to shoot the per-cussin' revolvers and I get beat more and more but you know what? I feel like a preacher giving the Word of the Lord to others and then hearing them go on to preach a better sermon. It can't get better'n that! I've been accused of being a little "tetched" but I don't get foam in the corner of my mouth when talking Cap&Ball (yet).
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline sundance44`s

• SASS# 61233 and Alamo Kat SASS 79338 , ColdwaterLongRifles , HatchieRunLongRifles .NRA.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • No Place Special , MS.
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 08:51:00 AM »
AMEN Hellgate .. i couldn`t have said it better , most darksiders are the most helpful teachers there ever was!  it doesn`t take much to get someone interested .. and after you let a newbie fire a few rounds , its like setting the hook ...i always go the extra mile to keep `em shooting as trouble free as possible , in fact lately i`ve gone as far as cleaning their guns after a shoot so they will see the importance of propper cleaning , and at first most don`t think of the cleaning as a fun part .. only the old guys could find enjoyment in such a chore ...( somehow i get pleasure from propper cleaning its like a babtisim for the holy black ) and shooting the holy black in so moveing  like a religous expericence . the first words from a new shooters lips are always Hey this is great !! so pards keep on teachin as long as someone listens , modern powder is just a fad that will surely pass .. ;D
Remington Americas Oldest GunMaker

You boys gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006, 11:51:20 AM »
Yeah Sundance,
The cleaning can be seen as a ritual purification...............making the "unclean" clean again...............as in born agian through babtism. Also, 'cause of the smell, it makes a great wife & kids repellant during the spiritual renewal (cleaning process) where I meditate on the day's shoot.

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com