Author Topic: John Wesley Hardin  (Read 16955 times)

Offline law dawg

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
John Wesley Hardin
« on: January 29, 2006, 03:32:32 PM »
I'm curious why a movie hasn't been made about this gunfighter.  I've been doing some research and this guy is the standard for a shootist.  I don't know what the actors name is but on the t.v. show Lost, he plays Sawyer I think he could play the part brilliantly.  Would anyone care to see a movie about this guy made with the same quality as Kurt Russell's Tombstone?

I would!

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 264
Re: John Wesley Hardin
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 05:17:07 PM »
I'm just speculating but maybe a movie was not made about John Wesley Hardin because he was a bit of a bad guy. I wouldn't mind watching a historically accurate movie about him. He gets some coverage as a cameo in Larry McMurtry's "Streets of Laredo" and is played by Randy Quaid
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline tarheel mac

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Number 69437 WARTHOG!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 07:21:35 AM »
Gotta be more than just "bad guy" thing..they've made plenty of movies featuring Billy the Kid and Jesse James...Might be because outside of Western period historians, and folks like us...he ain't really that well known...of course, neither were Bonnie and Clyde until the movie was made...Ah hell, the honest answer would have to be..I have no idea...

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:03:23 AM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 07:32:44 AM »
As I recall , his is also portrayed by Max Perlich in "Maverick" with Mel Gibson

Billed as Johnny Hardin
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Pukin Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • The frozen tundra of Madison, Wi
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 12:26:24 PM »
an excellent book is "The pistoleer"  I thought it was a quite accurate depiction of his life although it is a novel.  Would make a great movie.
"Puking Dog" Danlbach

Soot Lord Junior Grade
Semi-Warthog

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 12:34:50 PM »

well,
One of the problems to an accurate portrayal would be that they would have to accurately portray the reconstruction period.  No one wants to show how the North behaved after the war and to show that behavior led men to do evil things.   Some of Hardin's kills were former slaves.  Maybe he was plain evil, minister's kid gone real bad, or maybe a young man full of anger and frustration at poor treatment from an occupying army.  Funny, how history so often repeats...

Offline RowdyBill

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 02:36:33 PM »
I'm curious why a movie hasn't been made about this gunfighter.  I've been doing some research and this guy is the standard for a shootist.  I don't know what the actors name is but on the t.v. show Lost, he plays Sawyer I think he could play the part brilliantly.  Would anyone care to see a movie about this guy made with the same quality as Kurt Russell's Tombstone?

I would!

They ought to make an historically accurate account of his life, including his brutal time in Huntsville prison.  Hardin was a man who led a very rough life and they have lots of his prison correspondence on file they can use to get into his thinking.

Not a DiCaprio fan, but that guy is an effective actor and would make a good Wes Hardin.

Offline dakotaranger

• Citizen
    • Dakotaranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 02:27:42 AM »
I'd like to see one too.  My Dad was a Wesleyan Pastor (the Wesleyan Church split from the Methodist Church around the 1940's) so I kind of have always have had weird PK connection with that killer and always marvelled at why he would become a drinker and a killer (John Wesley founding the Methodist Church founded the Holiness movement which held drinking as a huge sin, even today in the Wesleyan Church it's really frowned down on)
If the pen is truely mightier than the sword, they why do so many people weild crayons

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 10:39:14 AM »
I don't want to rain on anybody's parade, but J.W. Hardin is hardly the type of charater I would want to expose my grandson to. Now if the child was doing research into that realm of western history that would be a bit diffrent but to make a sympathetic movie charater portrayal of him would just be wrong; no matter what drove him to live as he lived.
I mean one incident that is credited to him that stands out in my mind is the murder of a sleeping man for snoreing too loud.
 I know Billy the Kid, Jessie and Frank James, Belle Starr, Butch and Sundance as well as a host of other western "outlaws" have been portrayed in a sympathetic light by Hollywierd and weren't very historically accurate.
Shucks Even John Wayne's movie "Chisholm" portrays Wm. Bonty in a sympathetic light. But Wayne's charater "Chisholm"
even while he is understands why Billy did as he did does not approve his doing it. I don't know if J.W. Hardin had any redeeming qualities or not. But I believe that he was not evil incarnate although the little I do know about him is not admireable in any sense of the word. Heck even Captian Call had his "dark side!"
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline dakotaranger

• Citizen
    • Dakotaranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2007, 11:29:10 PM »
I don't want to rain on anybody's parade, but J.W. Hardin is hardly the type of charater I would want to expose my grandson to. Now if the child was doing research into that realm of western history that would be a bit diffrent but to make a sympathetic movie charater portrayal of him would just be wrong; no matter what drove him to live as he lived.
I mean one incident that is credited to him that stands out in my mind is the murder of a sleeping man for snoreing too loud.
 I know Billy the Kid, Jessie and Frank James, Belle Starr, Butch and Sundance as well as a host of other western "outlaws" have been portrayed in a sympathetic light by Hollywierd and weren't very historically accurate.
Shucks Even John Wayne's movie "Chisholm" portrays Wm. Bonty in a sympathetic light. But Wayne's charater "Chisholm"
even while he is understands why Billy did as he did does not approve his doing it. I don't know if J.W. Hardin had any redeeming qualities or not. But I believe that he was not evil incarnate although the little I do know about him is not admireable in any sense of the word. Heck even Captian Call had his "dark side!"
There was a point when he was in the penn he turned his life around.  He earned his law licence and was President of the Prison's Sunday School...in the 19th century that meant a lot more than it does now. 

Unfortunately eventually after he was released he went back to drinking (which to a Methodist in those days was a great sin). 

If there was a movie it would be like the Spagetti Westerns that Eastwood did.  I get what your saying about making him a sympathetic character, but for me being a Wesleyan Pastor's Kid like JWH I'm just intrigued by him.  In no way would I want anyone to emulate or look up to.
If the pen is truely mightier than the sword, they why do so many people weild crayons

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 06:52:32 PM »
There was a legthy chapter in STREETS OF LAREDO where JWH was the major character, as President of the crow town chamber of commerce
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Rusty Johnson

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 08:04:15 PM »
Yep he was played by Randy Quaid..
Sir George Have you been to Concordia Cemetery to see his grave yet?

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 12:17:14 AM »
No, but I drove past the cemetery, so I can say I was within easy rifle shot of his grave.  Quaid acts a very good "psycho" and was perfect for the role!

BTW;  I will be visiting El Paso at Christmas, and would appreciate a contact in CAS.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline gunplay

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2007, 01:44:50 PM »
There was a movie made of his life and it stared Rock Hudson.  It covered his life after prison.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2007, 06:37:18 AM »
There was a movie made of his life and it stared Rock Hudson.  It covered his life after prison.

The Lawless Breed directed by Raoul Walsh
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Early Graves

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2008, 06:52:35 PM »
Hardin was a sociopath.Enough said!

Offline Yul Catchum

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2008, 11:46:49 AM »
 ::) Guy posted on the SASS wire yesterday he is doing a movie on John Wesley Hardin. Says he's goona do it as the odd ball Sociopath JWH was.

We'll see.

(Look on SASS Wire April 28th, 2008)

Offline piebiter

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2008, 12:20:48 PM »
Perhaps the next best thing to a movie about him would be to read his book, The Life of John Wesley Hardin, As Written By Himself. The book is available from the University of Oklahoma Press for $14.95.
If my memory serves me right, he wrote this while in prison and does not cover his life beyond that point. Its been a number of years since I read it and don't have my copy handy. However, it is straight from the "horse's mouth" so to speak. In other words the way Hardin viewed things. It is a very interesting insight to how the man ticked.

Offline santee

• Keeping the Spirit of the Old West Alive
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The business end of a sixgun earns no interest.
    • Arizona Ghostriders
  • SASS #: 2171
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2008, 07:49:28 AM »
It would make a great movie. A realistic movie may also tarnish the myth of the "gunfighter."
Historian at Old Tucson Studios
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2008, 08:40:27 AM »
It would make a great movie. A realistic movie may also tarnish the myth of the "gunfighter."
In my opinion it would not, The Jessie James myth has been debunked, Billy the Kid has been shown to be a wacko,
  But as long as we have Buch Cassidy as Portrayed by Paul Newman, and the Sundance Kid by Robert Redford, and John Wayne as J.B. Books and/or Quirt Evans not to mention the Ringo Kid, or Yul Brenner in Requim for a Gunfighter, or the Magnificent Seven. Or Steve McQueen in"Wanted Dead or Alive," or Glenn Ford in 3:10 to Yuma Or Gregory Peck in Yellow Sky---- I could go on, But Like Knights of old on destriers bold the gunfighter myth will live in song and story.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com