Author Topic: S&W 1 1/2, 2nd issue, 32 RF; short or long?  (Read 6457 times)

Offline Daybreak Dave

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
S&W 1 1/2, 2nd issue, 32 RF; short or long?
« on: January 28, 2006, 05:15:24 PM »
Realize this is not exact correct forum, but thought you folks could answer the question best.  I bought a S & W 1 1/2 model, 2nd issue, 32 rimfire.  Nice tight gun, perfect mechanicals and lock up and escellent bore.  Blued (patina now).  I think from my research, this is the 32 long rimfire (according to Flaydermans book), but can I shoot 32 short rimfire ammo in it OK?  I am concerned with the shorter length causing problems. If no problems on length, I would prefer the short as I would think it has less powder.   Now, I realize that I will open up a separate topic of it being a blackpowder gun, and smokeless ammo not correct, but aside from that (and feel free to comment on that also), what about the cartridge length?

I can find some of the not made anymore Navy Arms ammo around, in 32 short, at 60$ a box.  Some odd lots of old correct ammo comes up on occasion also.  I can't find any source of anything newly made for this 32 rimfire. 

Thanks,
Daybreak Dave

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: S&W 1 1/2, 2nd issue, 32 RF; short or long?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 08:24:11 PM »
Personal Opinion NOT based upon actual shooting:  From my reading the .32 RF loads Navy Arms imported were loaded down to about 75 or 80 percent of the original Black Powder performance, and have some issues with accuracy in some user's firearms.

Good luck on finding some true .32 Long, or Short, RF ammo for your arm.

There are adapter rounds made to use offset .22 RF blanks as primers to ignite powder loads under round ball or bullet that will fit your chambers.  Dixie Gun Works lists and sells them.  Also there is an English firm that sells kits of adapters and bullets in a wood box along with the needed loading tools,  they separately sell the blanks but I do not know if they can sell them for import to the USA.

Another man used .32 Long Colt cases drilled out to take a .27 Caliber Powder Tool Load and used it to propel bullets to good effect out of his antique revolvers and multiple barreled pistols.  He has a web blog site with photos of the process and video of him firing his revolver at a Range.

Best Regards,
Chev. William
"Been there, But no 'Tee Shirt' survived.

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 09:30:24 AM »
The Number 1 1/2 is chambered for .32 short.
The Number 2 is chambered for .32 long.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:18:43 AM »

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 10:00:14 PM »
RE: original .32 Long Colt Ammunition.
It seems I fell into a 'find' at the Ontario, CA Gun Show a few weeks ago.
I was offered one box of 'Peters' .32 Long Colt ammo loaded with the inside lubed 82 grain Lead bullet, I think these were called .32 Long Rifle to differentiate them from the original loading with an outside lubed Heeled 90 Grain bullet.

I paid $40.00 for the shrink wrapped Green, with Red "Rustless" banner, full box of 50 rounds.  It is still shrink wrapped as I have not decided to open it yet.  The back indicates it was made after Remington bought the Peters company as it is marked as "Peters cartridge Division of Remington Arms Company, Inc."

It looks like the old origianal ammo is still popping up occasionally.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Offline harleydavis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #C31 SASS #3740 NRA GAF #394 5th Minn. Infry
  • SASS #: 3640
  • NCOWS #: C31
  • GAF #: 934
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 03:18:32 PM »
I have an old green box of .32 S&W with 10-12 rounds in it. I have no need for it anymore, interested?
I remain, respectfully,
Harley Davis
"I do not believe in ghosts so I do not burn a candle waiting for them. As to the killing of a bad man, when it comes to a fight, it is the other man or me. And when the deed is done, why bother the mind? Afterall, the killing of a bad man should not bother anymore than the killing of a rat, a vicious cat or an ugly dog" James Butler Hickok when asked if he ever thought about the men he had killed.

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 07:41:16 PM »
I have an old green box of .32 S&W with 10-12 rounds in it. I have no need for it anymore, interested?

Unfortunately, the .32 S&W (Long or Short) if CF is larger in diameter than the .32 Long RF.
As far as I know they would not fit my Stevens Favorite .32 Long RF chamber.

Perhaps some other reader would be interested in them.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com