Author Topic: hide the brass  (Read 3661 times)

Offline Able Wood

• Citizen
  • 'If your countin on a killin allways count me in"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
hide the brass
« on: January 28, 2006, 08:45:03 AM »
howdy,   anyone got any ideas on covering brass?   i want to blacken up the brass trigger guard and back stap on my pietta.  i used B-C  brass-black and it looked great allmost like blueing.  but it rubs off to easy. realy dont want to paint, but............           any ideas?

Offline Ramble N Tom

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: hide the brass
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 06:57:04 PM »
Several years ago, black chrome was available.  Don't know if anyone still does it or not......
RAT #240

Offline Ramble N Tom

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 07:02:02 PM »
Should have looked before I posted the first message.   My apologies.. You might want to check this out... http://www.techplate.com/firearms.htm     Usual disclaimers apply...  I'm not associated with this company.. In fact have never done business with them..  but I always thought black chrome was pretty neat...
RAT #240

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:33:40 AM »

Offline dangerranger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 07:16:10 PM »
As far as plating goes, nickel plating the whole gun may be the answer!
Life is a rush into the unknown, You can duck down real low and hope nothing hits you, Or stand up tall, show it your teeth,and say "Dish it up Baby and dont get stingy with the Peppers!!!"

Offline Able Wood

• Citizen
  • 'If your countin on a killin allways count me in"
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 08:03:28 PM »
thanks everyone for the ideas. plateing would look great but a little more than i want to spend. i can get a blued strap and guard from Taylors comp. but i was kinda looking for a do it my self job. keep the ideas coming.    thanks  Able.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2006, 08:35:07 AM »
The percussion Army Colt had a brass backstrap and triggerguard initially - and as time and experience followed - the backstrap was replaced by iron.

Often - especially on the Models os 1849 and 1851 - they were silver-plated.

That said - are you looking to completely 'blacken' those pieces - permanently - or will some dull brass showing through be acceptable?

If it is - then you can do it with 'Liver of Sulfate' - a particularly noxious-smelling chemical available at some jewelry supply or rock shops.

It will work like the Birchwood-Casey's 'Brass Black' you tried - but it's a lot more 'tenacious' when it's properly applied and re-applied.

No doubt there are other solutions out there - but if your metal's clean - and warm-to-hot - and you can hold your breath against the onslaught of the rotten-egg scent - then I can guarantee that this stuff will blacken your brass.

If you do it right - and buff it a bit the resultant dullness between re-applications - you can bring your now-blue/black finish up to almost mirror-brightness.

Lightly oil when done and assemble.

Do NOT store this near steel or near your tools - the fumes will cause rust at a rate that'll astound you...

Good Luck,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com