Author Topic: bought a saddle, now what is it?  (Read 3977 times)

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 99
bought a saddle, now what is it?
« on: January 27, 2006, 06:51:50 AM »
Hey,
In trying to further my leather working, I bought a bargain saddle, it was mildewy and real dirty

with a tear or two.

It cleaned up fairly well and my buddy is ready to ride, but what type of saddle is it exactly.  It is 19" from horn to cantle

Offline Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: bought a saddle, now what is it?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 07:16:56 AM »
Mogorilla, not 100% sure but it just looks like your typical stock saddle. If it's fairly heavy and has a good solid covered wood tree it would be suitable for roping.
QuickFire                                 Lt. Colonel, Division of Nebraska                                                                                                                                                                          GRAND ARMY of the FRONTIER                                                         
NCOWS 1717

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 09:24:22 AM »
A standard Stock Saddle - dating most likely from the '70's.

The early saddles will have much higher pommels and cantles - and none of the padding and decorative seat stitching seen here.

A good thing to practice your repairs and conditioning on - and rideable.

There should be a stamped maker's mark somewhere - and since it's modern - maybe even a stock number.

Find those and you can look up the saddlery.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:57:00 PM »

Offline dangerranger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 12:44:41 AM »
Mo, try looking on the tabs just below the horn or at the center of the cantle on the tab that joins the skirts. [ I think its called a frog.] these tabs may have been replaced tho.They were also comonly marked on the fenders. also try measuring the seat from the back  of the horn at its base to the back of the seat, not to the back of the cantle. 19" would be a very big saddle. to see if it has a solid tree grab it by the horn and cantle and both push and pull. it should have no play.If any play is found tree repairs are in order before any more time is put into it.It looks like a good project tho. good luck DR.
Life is a rush into the unknown, You can duck down real low and hope nothing hits you, Or stand up tall, show it your teeth,and say "Dish it up Baby and dont get stingy with the Peppers!!!"

Offline Howdy Doody

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 03:26:57 AM »
My guess is that it is a saddle used by a lefty. The rope would be kept on the left where a righty would have it coiled on the right. It can be used for roping. The horn would do and it is double rigged.
If there was a stamp on the back or even on the rope tab or leggings you would know who made it, but to me I would guess it is an old Tex Tan saddle. The tree would be made from rawhide and the saddle would be a lot heavier than one with a fibreglass tree. Looks like it is servicable. Get a new girth belt and clean it all up with Lexol and it just might be a keeper. Since the synthetic fleese looks pretty matted get a good blanket that will help adjust the tree to your horse and keep the front off the withers. Take a broom stick and stick it through the stirups so they won't tire you out keeping them headed in the right direction. I think it will work out for you Mogorilla.  :)
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

Offline Ottawa Creek Bill

• Vietnam Vet 1966,67 First place, Southeast Asia Rifle Team, "66/67"
  • Top Active Citizen
  • OCB, A Newer, More Gentler NCOWS Member...........
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 01:21:31 PM »
MO,
Before I would let any one ride it or planned to ride it myself, I would pull the leathers and see if the rawhide covering is in good condition and check to see if there is any seperation or cracks in the tree. The saddle looks like it has been out in the weather for a good spell and if there is any defects in the tree you wouldn't want to be sitting on a horse when you find them, happened to a good buddy of mine and he ended up with several broken ribs..

Bill
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 99
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 12:49:00 PM »
Thanks for all the info.  I cornered the former owner for more information.  The saddle is approximately 30 years old.  The former owner had it for 25 of those, using it for less than 3 then putting it away to get moldy and dirty.  She bought it from the original owner in Texas.  He was a roper who ran the stable she boarded her horse at.  She has recently returned to riding and bought a nylon saddle as they could barely lift this one.  The 19" measurement is from the inside of the horn to the inside of the cantle.  Other riders who saw it have commented THAT'S FREAKING HUGE!    I am a big man, 5'11" and 280, it is roomy for me.   Originally, I thought it had been put through the paces, but upon inspection,the saddle was constructed rough out.  There is a stamp on both fenders, but since it is done on the rough and is old it is real hard to read.   The tree is real solid.

Offline dangerranger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2006, 02:32:19 AM »
19" is a huge saddle! biggest Ive ever seen was a 20" that belonged to a giant who had to ride draft horses.DR.
Life is a rush into the unknown, You can duck down real low and hope nothing hits you, Or stand up tall, show it your teeth,and say "Dish it up Baby and dont get stingy with the Peppers!!!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com