Author Topic: Found: A new pasture.  (Read 8223 times)

Offline James Hunt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Found: A new pasture.
« on: August 12, 2004, 03:28:13 PM »
Well TFS is down and what da ya know I found this site. With some of the same folks. With trials and tribulations can come personal growth! Allright and Howdy to you all.

NCOWS member with no posse in MI but I have made it down to the GLF&M Co. twice this year. Just don't have the heart for SASS anymore, shooting next to Hoppy who is trying to get 1911 performance out of his 19th century clone just isn't fun anymore. Really into the history and persona aspect of this past time.

My persona is a hunter of the mid 1870's, using Billy Dixon, Yellowstone Kelly, and O.P. Hanna histories as resource material. Shoot Colt SAA circa 1876, Colt turned rd. Barrel Pocket Navy (.38 LC) circa 1873-74, Henry clone, and turn of the century hammered long barreled shotgun (would like to chop it to look cool but don't see a hunter running around with an express gun).

Have a 19 y.o. mare that is just now learning to be shot off of, and as soon as my daughter gets her gentled down for sure with one competition under her belt, I'm gonna give it a try! I only call myself a horseman in front of city folks.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
NCOWS, CMSA, NRA
"The duty is ours, the results are God's." (John Quincy Adams)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Found: A new pasture.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 04:17:54 PM »
Remember ta tuck yer pant legs in, this pasture has some of that stuff ya don't want to step in when it is fresh laying around. 

When it gets dry we just pick it up and I use it on top of the dutch oven ta bake sourdoughs.  (After lighting it on fire.)

Welcome  Viata Mas
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline James Hunt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 04:40:44 PM »
Thanks for the advice Delmonico, I have always enjoyed your cooking adivce. Actually I do a turn of the century cowboy persona - probably more 1900 - 1920 actually. I have  two friends who have a couple of spans of mules and a couple of original 1880's freight wagons one of which was turned into a chuck wagon of sorts. They put on Cowboy cookout's and I come along to make sure the civilians don't get kicked, bit, or run over by the livestock. One wagon is used to give rides around the place well the cookin is goin on. I serve food but otherwise they don't let me near the fire. It is great fun. The kids love the animals and there are some old 80++ y.o. boy's who - no kidding - actually get a little teary looking at the rigs. Amazing!

This is all make believe. We are no Cowboys. In fact once a mule got scarred and took off running around a small pond. I went to catch it at the other side and had a rope. The little kids gathered and were waiting for me to rope her, now I can on occasion catch a bale of hay from the ground if it ain't moving to quick, but not a running mule. I was only intending on placing, not throwing, a loop around her head after I stopped her, but these kids were yelling " you gonna rope her mister?" and a mother was saying "Now stand back and let the cowboy catch the horsey." Man was I under some pressure to perform and not dissappoint. Fortunately the Mule came to a slidding stop at my feet - thank God for previous treats - and I simply slipped the loop over her, my audiance in awe of my skill. That is my one cowboy cooking story.
NCOWS, CMSA, NRA

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:32:19 PM »

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 05:51:15 PM »
James I have enjoyed your posts on the Spot.  Welcome to the oldest CAS forum on the NET.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2004, 11:07:03 PM »
Naw, not you John,  we kind of like your eccentric ways.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2004, 11:31:00 PM »
Why didn't you folks tell me River City John was eccentric? :o
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2004, 11:22:52 PM »
Thats what I was told, here let me look it up in my dictionary!  Nope no mention of having to be rich, either we are peculiar or odd or our axis is away from center.  We could even be a device to convert rotary motion to reciprocating motion. 

They have been lying to us all these years and calling us crazy, we are just eccentric. 
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2004, 10:47:28 PM »
Rich people are called eccentric, poor people are called CRAZY! :) ;) :D ;D :o 8) ::) :-\
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2004, 11:03:34 PM »
Did stuff at the Nebraska State Fair for many years. (Not much used ta go out in the morning, loaf around and cook some supper and then go home.)  My kids said most folks go to the fair to see the exhibits, my Dad is an exhibit.

The English language is so funny, I always thought we had to be rich to be eccentric, my dictionary don't say that, so we can be.

With no disrespect to those in Florida, but lots for the writer of a news program I heard yesterday, "People in the path of Hurricane Charlie are urged to evacuate."  Well if I was on the path of a catagory 4 hurricane I would not need someone to tell me to poop, I would have already pooped my pants.  :o

Careful what you say, it might mean somethine else.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2004, 12:04:00 PM »
Welcome aboard, James.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2004, 03:51:22 PM »
Howdy James, fancy meetin' you here.
You gonna make it down in Sept. or Oct?
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Offline James Hunt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2004, 03:59:25 PM »
Dave: well it only took me a week to get around to answering you, that's risky cause when you get our age - well heck a whole week and you could, as the medical profession clinically states, have a negative outcome. Hope all is well with you. Yes I am going to try and make it in Sept. cause I don't think I can in Oct., in fact with any luck I'm going to sucker my partner into driving which means there will be a least two shooters below you in the final standings. Best Regards: Jim
NCOWS, CMSA, NRA

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2004, 11:48:05 PM »
Hell, James. A week's not too bad. I've been ignored for lots longer than that many times. ;)

Glad to hear you're gonna try and make Sept. By "partner" would you be meanin' "Mule?"
It'd be great to see you both again.

If you do make the trip, have a safe drive and don't take any "shortcuts" suggested by posse members. ;D
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Offline Dutch Limbach

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2004, 11:39:00 AM »
From my Paintsville, KY, excursion with Peevine I will say this on shortcuts. If you follow one of his "shortcuts" you will see a lot of pretty scenery. And you will see it for hours and hours and hours!!! ;)
"Men do not differ much about what they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
-- G. K. Chesterton

"I guess when you turn off the main road, you have to be prepared to see some funny houses."
-- Stephen King

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2004, 10:37:40 PM »
Yep, this is a nice place also, welcome James...
Fast horses for sale, Discount for newly minted gold coins, no questions asked....

Offline Brazos Bucky Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2004, 12:34:14 AM »
Well Howdy James! ;)

Welcome to CAS City!  People been call'n you alls kind a names ecentric or somtin' like that, but me, I'll just call ya up to the bar for a brew!  By the looks of it you are an ol' hand with just a new territory to mosey around in.  So Welcome!

BB
Brazos Bucky
"A man oughta do what he thinks is right."
BOLD #566, NRA Life (Endowment)
SASS #59058, SBSS #1605, SCORRS

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com