Author Topic: A.S.M 1862 R+M  (Read 5491 times)

pistol pete

A.S.M 1862 R+M
« on: January 24, 2006, 09:57:17 PM »
Howdy friends,   a friend of mine that works at a gun store in a local town called me about a month ago and says he found somthing in the gun vault i might want to see. when i get there he pulls out a box. good news- its a new in the box 1862 R+M navy .38 call, 7.5 in. bbl, case color frame,silver plate back strap trigger guard and plain oil stain grips!   not so good news- its made by Armi San Marco.  good news- i can have it for $270.00 out the door tax and all ! seems some one had put a down payment to get it orderd a good while back and never returned. so now i have a ASM. i have since found out ASM went bust and replacement parts will have to be fitted useing pietta uberti or what ever.  can someone tell me what parts are prone to go out so i can be on the look out? allso the gun shoots dead on left to right but several inches high which i understand is common for these guns. whats the best fix? taller sights?  thanks  pete.

Offline Able Wood

• Citizen
  • 'If your countin on a killin allways count me in"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: A.S.M 1862 R+M
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 10:17:25 PM »
hi pete,  dont know about parts but i have seen that modle before and they are darn good looking!  and hard to fined.  hang on to it! ;)

Offline Virgil Ray Hality

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 03:30:15 PM »
While I don't have an ASM, I do have Uberti Open Tops.  If the ASM is in good working order, 270 is a real nice price.  I have taken down and put together my Open Tops numerous times and I don't think there are any real weak parts except for the bolt and hand springs.   I suppose it you shoot 50,000 rounds through it, you may have to get a new bolt and bolt cam.  If the internal parts are soft, keep your eyes peeled for a hand also.  Other than that, I think you got a sweet deal on a nice lookin revolver!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:26:33 AM »

Offline Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 07:05:51 PM »
The hand and hand springs are the only thing I've ever had to replace.
QuickFire                                 Lt. Colonel, Division of Nebraska                                                                                                                                                                          GRAND ARMY of the FRONTIER                                                         
NCOWS 1717

Offline Big Hext

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 11:21:17 AM »
Howdy,

If you have a local smith, you would be well served by introducing the gun to him BEFORE you need him to make or fit parts.  ASMs have a spotty record for durability and reliability, but there are many, many guns out there working every weekend, without problem.

So enjoy your lucky find and go shoot it!
Adios,

Thank you for being you.. Annie Lee!

Offline Terry Lane

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 01:02:07 PM »
Pete,
I've two ASM '60 Army Richards conversions and two ASM '61 Navy Richards conversions. Been using tham all for main match pistols for 4 years. No big problems with any of them. Didn't know ASM made RM conversions, only ones I've seen are Richards. Take care.   
Terry Lane, Nebraska Territory,
Nebraska's Official Hon. Col. Wm. F. "Buffalo Bill" Cody
Grand Army of the Frontier Department of the Missouri Chief of Scouts

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 07:02:17 PM »
The ASM's were all Richards, not Richards-Mason.........Buck 8) ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

pistol pete

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2006, 10:56:34 AM »
i thought the richards-mason convertion used the flat face hammer and a spring loaded fireing pin inthe ring?  ??? granted the ring does look to be made to the frame.  now i cant sleep someone please help me sort this out.

pistol pete

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2006, 01:08:56 PM »
i stand corrected, thanks.    and yes it is a 61 ,      the 2 was a typo and i did't know how to correct it.      thanks agian.

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2006, 04:26:06 PM »
Almost got me one when they were new. '61 Navy with the 5 or 5 1/2" barrel in .38. Purty gun, but somebody else got there first. Was okay though, that particular gun made a few trips back and forth. Don't know if it ever got straightened out.  Sure was pretty though.............Buck 8) ::) :o :-\
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2006, 09:17:19 PM »
I'm glad you corrected that....if it was really an 1862 conversion, I'd HAVE to find one like it. I know you can probably get something like that custom made, but that's WAY out of my price range!

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 422
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2006, 09:26:08 PM »
here's one
 a 1862 civilian conversion
when planets align...do the deal !

44caliberkid

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2006, 11:46:05 AM »
I have an ASM '61 Navy that had an arbor pin that was too short.  It failed to but against the bottom of the arbor pin hole in the barrel by about 1/8 of an inch.  If you have this condition it causes the weapon to shoot high, because when you install the wedge and it pulls the barrel back, it makes it point up instead of straight ahead.  This is a pretty common problem in Colt repros and the reason many Colt repros shoot high (not because the sights were regulated for 100 yards).
   It is a lot of work to fix, but a properly fitted arbor pin will make the gun shoot POA, tighten the groups, and lessen strain (wear) on the wedge and wedge slot.  Guys who shoot Colt pattern repros in NMLRA target pistol competition have known this for years and that's why most of them shoot Remingtons!
  With the wedge removed, put the barrel on and hold it up to the light, so you can see the barrel/cylinder gap. Push back on the barrel, then lift up slightly on the end.  If the gap closes at the top, your arbor pin is too short.
  The fix is to weld extra material to the end of the arbor pin, file or lathe it round, then carefully try the barrel on, filing a little off the lenght of the pin, till it fits squarely against the bottom of the arbor pin hole in the barrel.
   It is best to remove the arbor pin from the frame but it can be done with the pin installed.
  A Colt pattern pistol with a properly fitted arbor pin (the way real Colts were made) is a wonderful thing and a tack driving C&B pistol (or conversion).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com