Author Topic: My first time with black powder  (Read 15568 times)

Offline Nebraska Drifter

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: My first time with black powder
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2004, 09:14:19 PM »
Howdy all. First time on the wire and thought that I would through in on this one. Started shootin CAS again about a year and a half ago. Came back in on the dark side and been there ever since. Haven't even though about going back until this next month. My local club will hold there anual three stoges shoot next month an I'm thinking about the other stuff for that shoot just to see the differance. But it will only be a passing thing thats for sure. Sure is nice to see that I aint the only darksider in the game.

Offline Lt. Col Mark Flint

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2004, 01:46:28 PM »
Will Ketchum

What is your cleaning solution?

I found a few things out cleaning and shooting BP over the last two years

1)  Rust blued guns like old colts are far more rust resistant than hot blued guns like Uberti's

2)  Ballistol is a great cleaner when used with lots of water.  If you clean without water you will get   rust.  A coat af Ballistol will not stop it-delay yes, stop-no.

3)  Full power loads are cleaner than light loads

4)  BP loads do not lead a clean gun-period.  After cleaning, my guns bores and chambers and even cylinder faces look like new guns.

5)  An instant hot water heater at your cleaning sink is a good $100.00 investment.

6)  A murphy's mix of 1/3 Murphy's/ 1/3 rubbing alcohol and 1/3 peroxide is an excellent cleaner and cheap, but if I have a water source, a flush through the barrels with a garden hose or a bottle of water is just about perfect to get a cleaning session started. 

7)  Never clean a shotgun in a bathtub.

8) Paper towels are good for shotgun cleaning.  Bore snakes are good for keeping a rifle bore clea.  Baby Wipes are a great range expedient too!

9) The Murphy's mix is also good for cleaning hands up before lunch if there is not running water at the range

10) everyone loves a Black Powder Shooter who makes lots of smoke and fire!

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2004, 08:23:39 PM »
Mark, I actually cleaned with the Murphy's mix and then a final coat of Ballistol.

The problem was that I had 5 guns to clean in about 45 minutes before I had to get ready for the banquet.  Then we had to get the camper packed up the next morning for the trip home.  I should have checked the guns as soon as I got home but forgot. :(

Will Ketchum

Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 12:17:37 PM »

Offline Pukin Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • The frozen tundra of Madison, Wi
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2004, 12:36:35 PM »
Will,
It takes a bit of time to "cure" the guns perhaps.  I've heard that it might take 4-5 cleanings with ballistol to get them to the point where you can just do a quick wipe down.  The first couple of times they require more thouroughness but each time you get more ballistol down into the places where rust can happen.

Another trick I found that works good is to use a hot air gun to evaporate the remaining water and heat the metal up just before the final coat of ballistol or gun oil.  I got one for $12 at Harbor Freight and it works like a charm.

Pukin Dog
"Puking Dog" Danlbach

Soot Lord Junior Grade
Semi-Warthog

Offline john boy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2004, 03:17:48 PM »
Well Pards, the story goes like this:
I shot my first full match 2 weeks ago at the NJ State Championship ...using Holy Black.  Was going to shoot my 51 Navies but was afraid the Hurricane Ivan Wrath would drown out my caps.  So shot my RVBH's instead ...of course they are 45's ;)

I used my PRS boolits that dropped from the new mold and they were slathered up with Dick Dastardly's "Bugger Lube" (that's my name for the stuff) ;D

I pulled the triggers 243 times and Yes, Sir're ... Old Colonel Dan sent me my FIRST ... Order of the Golden Bullet with Star

Am I going to continue on down the Goex Trail ... Yer Darn Toot'in :)

I really kind of enjoy the Spotters acting like Artillery Forward Support Spotters and calling back ...'Send up the night vision goggles'
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Offline Lt. Col Mark Flint

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2004, 11:20:02 AM »
Oh man I love that "belt fed" 73 avatar!  I am just thinking about how to actually make it work and scarilly enough I have an idea that may be feasible.  somebody stop me . . . calling my gunsmith now. . .

Hello Sam, can you make me a pair of 73 sideplates cut out at the top-just enough for a belt feed..yeah I'm serious, of the left plate I need you to make a little gear and shaft and i need it to mate up with a couple of gear teeth cut in the side of the breechbolt... no, I'm not drunk...Why

Anyway, as you cycle the action the breechbolt gear section will need to overide the gear going forwardf and only engage when going backwards to advance the belt.  Yes I am serious!

We are going to use a web belt that the breechbolt passes through.

You think you can do it?

$1,200.00 and no guarantees?

hmmm

tell you what, add in a gas system like John browning came up with using a flapper valve and you got a deal . . .

reports to follow

Offline Calamity Jane

• Top Active Citizen
    • Calamity Jane's
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2004, 12:41:04 PM »
"7)  Never clean a shotgun in a bathtub."

?????????????????

What would I use that tub for if not fer cleaning scattergunz???? Me ol' Boito sure don't mind the tub  ;)

Don't have any trouble shootin 10 stages without cleaning.

As fer posse duties when shootin C&B, I usually take the unloading table after I shoot and do me reloading between checkin other shooters. Thar's some what's werkin more than me, but not many  ;D

Offline Frank Dalton

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2004, 08:51:57 PM »
Having done CW reenacting and having guns out in all kinds of weather, the thing that I found that works best for keeping your guns from rusting is Birchwood Casey Sheath Rust Preventative. This stuff is fantastic. Clean your guns as you would normally to dissolve the black powder, then run patches through until no residue comes off onto the patch.

Spray Sheath down the bore, wipe with a clean patch and if you want, run a patch with gun oil down the bore. After you clean your gun and use sheath on it the second time you will find that the black doesn't adhere as well as it did to the untreated metal the first time you cleaned it. I can also use warm (1050) faucet water to dissolve the black powder.

Once Sheath has penetrated the metal, it works for a long time afterwards. Probably every 1000 rounds or so will keep it maintained, if that often.

My 6 oz. spray can has lasted over 10 years, and it still works the same.

I just wanted to share this as it is a great worksaver.
Frank Dalton
US Deputy Marshal
Indian Territory
SASS# 54716L
USFA CSS# 59
GAF# 360
STORM# 268
Perge Scelus Mihi Diem Perficias

Offline john boy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2004, 10:21:46 PM »
LTC Flint, Sir ....  Between the M1873 Belt Driven and my Remington M1100 (Belt Driven of course) there is only one word for them ... ;D Fire Power ;D
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Offline Willie Wheelgun

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2004, 05:02:29 PM »
I have six cylinders (total) for my 1858 Remmies.  I need a couple more, maybe four to make it to the lunch break.  I don't pull my share of the work when shooting BP, but I am going to fix that.  Just more cylinders.
I shoot a chink double with hammers (slow) and a Uberti Win 66 in 45 LC, which is not a speed gun.  Just havin fun.  I put my spent brass in one of those plastic liquid laundry soap plastic containers.  It has a large mouth so I can dump them in.  I use Ballistol and water.  Works great.  I use a bore snake and Windex with vinegar on the long guns.  Bore Butter on the cylinder pin keeps the '58's turning.
Willie
Land of the free BECAUSE of the brave!
God Bless America
Soos Creek, Washington Territory

Offline REELFOOT REGULATOR

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2004, 05:22:48 PM »
Went out today and practiced shooting with black powder. Just wanted to see how my guns would perform in a match situation. I shot 70 rds out of my 92 45cal and and 40 rds with each 45cal RV with no problems with no cleaning
NRA
SASS
IDPA
SMOKEY BOTTOM GUN CLUB
WEST TN LONGRIDERS(HOME OF THE FARRINGTON BROS GANG)
COLLECTOR & SHOOTER OF MILSURPS

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com