Author Topic: ? about RCBS presses  (Read 5858 times)

Online Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
? about RCBS presses
« on: January 19, 2006, 06:10:49 PM »
I am interested in buying an used RCBS Rock Chucker press.  Question is what #'s should I look for?  What are the RS models?

I am interested in using it for general reloading and starting some form of swaging.  I have been using a Lee O for~15 years.  Just does not feel comfortable doing the big 45's and 50's on the Lee.

I had an A-2 just slip past my hands.  Talk about sick feelings.

I posted this over on the Gunsmithing Listing. I realize this is not NCOWS business or anything to do with the club directly but I thought maybe my NCOWS friends could help me out with a little more information.

Thanks for any suggestions or help.

Black River Smith
Black River Smith

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: ? about RCBS presses
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 06:27:21 PM »
Well Pard I don't know what to tell you what to look for since I haven't heard of anything going wrong with a Rockchucker.  Even if you bought a used one and there was something wrong you can just call RCBS nd they will send you what you need.   The Lyman Orange Crusher is another press that is good for heavy duty swagging.  I don't know if they are made anymore but you should be able to find a used one.

I would suspect that you could find some over on E-Bay.   You might also try Gunbroker they have reloading stuff to if I remember right.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 06:38:20 PM »
Yer right Will, I have an RCBS Jr I bought used about 25 years ago, a couple years ago the handle broke.  Called up RCBS and got the numbers off it for the guy, he said he didn't have a handle anymore fore it because it was the original and not the updated model and is was about 35 years old.  He sent me a new ram, linkage and handle for free and it came Express Mail.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:06:32 PM »

Offline French Jack

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 06:47:35 PM »
BRS-- I would suggest that you stick with the cast iron frame presses.  The alloy type are not strong enough to swage many bullets without failure or stretching.  If you can find one of the old Herter's "C" type monsters, you should consider it.  They are large and strong enough to take a steady diet of swaging.  They also use the larger 1 1/8 die body, which is the same size as the old Lachmiller dies.  This size works much better for swaging.  They will accept the 7/8 x 14 die with an insert.  I have one that I have used for many years exclusively for swaging.  It is still going strong.  Another option, is the Lee "O" type in cast iron that Midway lists for about $60.  It is large enough and strong enough to do the job.  The old cast iron RCBS are good as well. 
French Jack

Ornery Orr

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 06:59:05 PM »
I bought one of the old cast Rock Chuckers at a gun show quite a few years back.  Paid $75 for it (used) and has worked great ever since.  I used to run the reloading shop at a local sporting goods store a couple of years ago.  The RC Supreme (new version of the RockChucker) is what we had on hand and I wouldn't have traded my old press for 2 of the new ones.  But RCBS will stand behind their product whether it's your fault or theirs.  A friend of mine had a .308 case stuck in his die and I had a stuck case remover.  I hadn't used it before so I didn't know enough to remove the stem with the decapping pin from the die before drilling the case head.  I screwed up the decapping pin with the drill bit.  I called RCBS and told them what happened.  They sent me a pack of 5 decapping pins as well as the whole center stem assembly!  I misplaced  the spent primer tray on a RCBS Junior I used to have, and they sent me a new one at no cost to me.   My advice is to get the older version of the Rockchucker and you'll never have to buy another single stage press EVER!

Online Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 09:26:24 PM »
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions

Black River Smith
Black River Smith

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 154
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 09:35:14 AM »
Ornery: What didn't you like about the new Rockchucker Supreme? I've been thinking about getting one for extra clearance as I end up loading some mighty long shells from time to time, and appreciate have the bushing that allows for using larger diameter dies.

Ornery Orr

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2006, 12:01:00 AM »
I handled 2 different ones while working at the store.  As you know, they are made so that you can switch the handle from side to side in case you want to pull with your left hand.  Both of the presses I handled had the holes drilled funky and I could barely get the handle screwed back in after unscrewing it.  I don't think the Supreme was made with the same quality in mind of the older presses.  Not sure what you mean by larger diameter dies,( I learn something new everytime I talk to another reloader ;)) but if Redding has something in their lineup that would fit your bill (no pun intended) then I would go with a Redding before I bought the Supreme.  Just my opinion based on my personal taste.

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 154
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2006, 02:03:28 AM »
Ornery: I agree on Redding quality, but I have had good stuff from RCBS over the years. The large-die bushing issue is only a factor for those of us who hope to load .577 Snider, .577-450  and some of the big bore African rounds. These die bodies must be larger than those for standard calibers, and if you don't have a bushing that screws out for the larger dies, you are stuck with the limitations of 7/8 X 14 threads.
Sorry to hear about the slop in the RCBS presses you've handled, though. I feel sad about the quality-cutting that seems to crop up more and more in our sport.

Online Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2006, 05:16:26 PM »
Thanks for all the comments.

Now any suggestion on what model or RC # that is best of all to look for?

I have found model #'s A-2, RC II and RC IV.  Are there others?

Black River Smith
Black River Smith

Offline Ed Clintwood

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2006, 08:59:06 PM »
I have an RCBS Jr press that I bought new in the early 60's.  Once I got my Dillon, the only thing I used it for was .348 and .375 H&H, I now use it for the 56-50 Spencer and I hope soon, a 45-90.  It has never failed, it is always the press I use if the Dillon can't do it or if I need to take my time (like with BP).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com