Author Topic: Which brass do you prefer?  (Read 4915 times)

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Which brass do you prefer?
« on: January 16, 2006, 02:27:33 PM »
When reloading for Big Bore Rifles, do you prefer Winchester brass or another variety over Starline and why? Give us some idea of what you think is better and your reasons, I'm sure we'll get some interesting replies.
For example: I've always shot Starline in my Pedersoli 45-70, it was said at the time I started shooting it that Starline was 'The' brass to use, now I hear from other fellas that (unlike me, they hit the target every time!) say Winchester is better and I'll need to anneal all my Starline brass to make it expand more if I'm ever gonna hit anything with it.
OK, what do you think is better and why?
Best regards and good thinking!
'Ol Gabe

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
Re: Which brass do you prefer?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 03:23:29 PM »
When I got my first .45-70 rifle I bought R-P brass from Midway because it was the least expensive. It works just fine for me. I was given some used Win brass. That works fine for me too. So, I don't know what to tell ya.  ???

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 06:12:59 AM »
I had a long talk with a tech at Sierra as well as the friendly BP shooter/tech at Hodgdon, and both said that in the industry, Winchester is considered to have the softest brass and Starline is the toughest; very much like Military brass.

That said, I seem to like the Win brass the best, 'specially for BP, but I really am too new at long range shooting and loading to have a really meaningful opinion.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:19:59 AM »

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 09:23:45 PM »
At the moment my brass is mixed between Rem. and Winchester. The larger part being Winchester. At this time, they both seem to work equally well. I haven't done enough to make a definative choice though. Hoping to work with this in mind this summer......Buck 8) ::) ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Brazos_Jack

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2006, 11:36:41 PM »
Many prefer Winchester or Remington. It is correctly tempered when you get it and is lighter than Starline, so it has greater powder capacity. Won't last as long as Starline, but at black powder pressures it lasts a long time. Both Reminton and Winchester need to be sorted into lots by weight for maximum accuracy.

Starline is harder than the hubs of h@!! as it comes from the factory and must be annealed for best results. It's thicker, so you sacrifice some powder capacity. Don't bother weighing and sorting because it all weighs so close you don't need to. It's thick and excellent quality and if properly annealed and cared for will probably last you through the next 2 ice ages. I just wish they'd anneal it for use before delivery.

I use Starline, but if sorted into weighed lots and properly cared for, either Winchester or Remington will win any match in the country and last plenty long.

Offline Otter

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 08:18:59 AM »
Started shooting BPCR firearms about 10 years ago. Bought 200 Winchester 45-70 Govt brass for my RB and the same for my Shiloh Sharps. At the time, it was the least expensive. Full length sized and trimmed for the first loading and then fireformed in the rifle for which they were intended. Haven't touched them to a resizing die since. Each set of 200 has been shot a minimum of 40 times each, with BP as the powder of choice. Shot 1600 rounds through my RB the first 3 months I had it. Still have and shoot all 400 rounds, just not as much in the last 4 years. Haven't felt the need to buy other brands of brass as these have held up well. Guess I "prefer" the Winchester brass, but only because I have yet to use anything else.
I hate rudeness in a man, I won't tolerate it . . . W.F. Call

NRA Endowment Life Member

Offline Crooked Creek Kid

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 08:30:43 AM »
I have always preferred the Winchester brass as it is a little softer and can get a little more powder in the case.  Have never tried Starline and really don't care much for the Remington.
I ain't often right but I've never been wrong.

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 10:24:38 AM »
All my R - P gets sized to 40-65 for my Browning BPCR, as it is slighty smaller at the base.    FC (heavier) cases are used in my Browning SRC, in new-fangled fad powders.  The W - W (lighter) is used for HB in my Pedersoli, Gemmer custom, 45 - 70.

I read in a Rifleman article once, that one grain of smokeless has the same volume as 8 grains of brass.  I don't know if Black is the same?  The heavier the brass the higher the pressure, if the powder charge is kept constant.  That is why Joss is right; - DON'T MIX BRASS, especially with top loads.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com