Author Topic: Books on saddlemaking  (Read 4267 times)

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 154
Books on saddlemaking
« on: January 16, 2006, 12:13:13 PM »
I saw a reference to the Al Stohlman three-volume set, but they run about $80 per volume, which is too rich for my blood. Can anyone recommend any other titles on this topic to give a would-be saddler an idea of what he is in for?

Offline Nolan Sackett

• Frontier Knifemaker & Leather Smith
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild Rose Trading Co
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Books on saddlemaking
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 02:13:51 PM »
"How to Make Cowboy Horse Gear" by Bruce Grant - has a chapter on it and the tools needed - I built my first one some 30+ years ago using those instructions. Getting an old wreck and tearing it apart will also be of help.
aka Chuck Burrows
Frontier Knifemaker & Leather Smith

Offline CQMD

• CQMD
  • Active citizen
    • Rock'n R  custom holsters
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 09:11:31 AM »
If you check around you can find them cheaper. I have looked at about everything out there and they are the best. Even after 25 years in making saddles I still refer back to them every now and then. Volume one goes into pattern making, fitting and intro to saddle making and volume two goes into making a saddle. These are the two most important and needed volumes. They are the best for instruction and pictures showing the process. You are going to pay $600.00 to a $1000.00 for materials (depending on the saddle that you want to build) to get started. The bottom line is what you are going to get in the end.

Bobby Rose
CQMD
http://linkstrap.com
http://cattailcreeksaddlery.tripod.com
Bobby Rose
rocknrholsters.com

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:13:25 PM »

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 12:51:07 PM »
Hide Crafters has a set of products by Dusty Johnson listed in their catalog.  Sold seperately, they include a book, a video and a set of plans.  I can not vouch for their content as I have not seen them but I personally find that this old slow Ga redneck does better when he has reading and video images combined into a learning experience. (ahem Nolan)

Offline Rascal Ralph

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 02:38:47 PM »
If you are going to buy any books, be SURE to check out  Amazon.com first. I just got a $65. hardcover of "The West" for $3.(Perfect cond,used) Bought "The encyclopedia of The Gunfighters for $4.(New,slight scratch on cover) Shipping on most books avg. about $3. I've found that all of their sellers state what cond. the new or used books are in, and are very acurate! RR
In case you don't know me, I'm just a friend you hadn't met yet.

Sass # 67604

SBSS # 1822

GOFWG # 283

RATS # ???

Offline Capt, Woodrow F. Call

• Vice President of SWS Norway.
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Grenland Gunslingers
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 01:58:43 PM »
Howdy.

I have 2 books of Dusty Johnson ( Saddlemaking), and i can recomand it, i think it is 3 books, about Saddlemaking.

www.amazon.com

B.R Smoke.
SWS # 1014
Grenland Gunslingers # 0001
Cowboy Mounted Shooters Norway #005
'The Cowboys' Trail Riding Society of Telemark 2009. # 003
Member of The Chuckwagon society, Sweden.

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 99
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 03:51:56 PM »
Just received all three copies of Al Stohlman's books from my lovely wife for Christmas.  I keep a long list of wants for her to choose from, when I want a book, I include the ISBN number, it helps her find them.   Put them on your wish list.   

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 154
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2006, 11:03:39 AM »
Thanks guys. For now I think I'll get a copy of Dusty Johnson's book. I found a copy of Bruce Grant's "How to Make Cowboy Horse Gear" and read Lee Rice's section on saddlemaking. Guess I have a drawdown stand to make while I cogitate on all this.

Offline Myron Swaim

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2006, 07:19:52 PM »
I recently purchased the Stohlman set (all three volumes) on e-bay for 130.00 plus 5.00 for shipping. keep looking,
Myron

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com