Author Topic: What pistol?  (Read 6352 times)

Offline WildernessDan

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What pistol?
« on: August 05, 2004, 05:25:36 PM »
Howdy:

Well I am new to the CAS and just getting started.  But, I must say that there sure is a lot of good advice here.   I truly appreciate everyones input.  This will help me and other newbies with what we need for CAS.

My question is what would be a good sidearm to start of with? 

Big Hext Finnigan

Re: What pistol?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2004, 05:56:54 PM »
Klondike
Very active citizen

In town

Re: Advice to the New CAS Shooter
« Reply #19 on: Today at 05:42:29pm »     

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dan,
You will get every kind of advice on which pistol is best and why. The best I can tell you is go to a match and talk to shooters there, you will find they will be more than glad for you to try their guns. Sort through them, see what you like best and what you don't and what you can afford.
If you want to just jump in I would go to Ruger Vaqueros to start with, they are reasonable in price and very durable (strong), then if you decide you do not like them, you can usually re-coup most of your money fairly easy. My personal preference is 4 3/4" barreled models in 38/357, they seem to balance better for me in this barrel length. as we have said in this thread 38/357 is the least expensive for some one that does not reload, if you reload it is still the least expensive. Good Luck and welcome to cowboy shooting. 

Offline Capt. Jack McQuesten

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 06:59:58 PM »
WD,

You can't beat the Rugers for price and reliability. They are tanks!!! I use a pair of 4-5/8" Vaqueros in .44 magnum (one is a Bisley Vaquero). I had them both before I got into CAS and I also use them for "carry guns" when I am out and about on the ranch. I just picked up another Ruger Vaquero .44 mag with a 7-1/2" barrel. Colts are sure nice, but for the price of one Colt, you can buy at least three or four Rugers! The Beretta Stampedes sure are pretty, but I hear they have timing problems. If they ever get that straightened out I might be tempted into getting one of them. The only thing I would suggest with the Rugers is to replace the factory grips with a thinner pair of grips. The Ruger grip frame a bit larger than the Colts or other similar style guns.
SASS #56937  BOLD #527  RATS #120  WARTHOG
"There's payment to be made to them thats done this...."

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:26:08 AM »

Offline Boston John Doucette

• Wistful Dreamer
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2004, 05:51:50 AM »
Good advice from good pards... even though I don't particularly care for the Rugers.

Decide what category you want to shoot. If you're going to shoot Traditional and use your offhand to slamcock your weapon, by all means, go with the Rugers. They'll stand up to some Gawd-awful punishment.

But if you're going to shoot Duelist or Gunfighter, you'll be using your guns within the envelope of the original 19th century single action designs... so you'll be able to enjoy the Colt knockoffs at a very reasonable price.
I prefer original Colts, but the Cimarron offerings would be my next choice, followed by the USFA offerings.

Trust me...before it's all done, you'll have several braces of Main Match revolvers. There's just too many out there to drool over.

Besides... in a world of 31 flavors, why stick with vanilla?  ;D

BJD
I love my dogs, I'm real attached to my guns, and I'm right partial to my wife.

Offline Tensleep

• Damned Ol' Ranger
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dealer in Bullets and Gun Butter
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2004, 05:58:07 AM »
Butter pecan sounds good to me..
I want to wrap my hands around that set of Hartford Remington 75s that I have already paid for.
 ;D
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

Offline doc

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2004, 09:22:14 PM »
I have owned Ruger snice 1988 and they are indestructable. Ruger triggers are a but rough but my 2 Vaqueros are fine. The trigger can be touched up to help smooth the trigger but mine are stock. A SS ruger with white micarta grips look exactly like a nickel plated gun. Also you can load 6 rounds safely due to the transfer bar. While this is not authentic,it adds to safety. I don't want to full around with guns that break. Rugers are so tough they just keep shooting.

Doc
You're damn right I'll risk it. They're breakin the law.
Vet, Police Officer and Deputy Wildlife Conservation Officer

Offline Chilly Waters

• Citizen
    • Fender Discussion Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2004, 10:25:19 PM »
I'm in this thing to shoot old style firearms in original or near original calibers.  I shoot duelist (one handed).  I have ZERO interest in shooting Rugers and pump shotguns so I use Uberti Colt clones in .45, a '73 rifle, and a mule-eared 12 gauge Rossi.  I ain't fast but I have fun!

Offline Frank Dalton

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2004, 07:51:17 AM »
I tried the Ruger and the feel of it in my hand made me sell it before I had ever fired it. Mind you, this is a subjective reason, nothing to do with performance of the piece.

I went with the Beretta Stampede, as the grip is much more in line with a Colt. I have had none of the problems wiht them that several people have reported, and as a "non-prototypical" old west gun (due to the transfer bar safety), it still looks like a Colt on the outside.

I next purchased a USFA Rodeo, and with that purchase I discovered the quality and good looks that an American made gun offers. Because the quality of real Colts has suffered in the past, it makes it a tough decision what to go for as a "long-term" "top-of-the-line" pistol. My personal decision will be to go with USFA, either Rodeo's or SAA's or ...

My advice is before you even fire one: try handling several different kinds, Rugers, Italian clones, American clones. If it is not comfortable in your hand, no matter how good a gun it is, it will never be good for you.
Frank Dalton
US Deputy Marshal
Indian Territory
SASS# 54716L
USFA CSS# 59
GAF# 360
STORM# 268
Perge Scelus Mihi Diem Perficias

Offline Irish Red O'Toole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2004, 08:52:18 AM »
Personally, I like the tank-like qualities the Ruger has to offer.  Being somewhat larger thant the average cowboy, I appreciate the size and heft of the Vaqueors.  The fact that an ape like me can't destroy them short of using C4 is an extra added bonus.  As for what a new shooter should buy, as others have said.....go to a match and try out different guns.  What's right for you, only you can tell.

Offline Prof. Bullspit

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2004, 07:51:33 PM »
Remember back in the day when every third letter to the editor and every 10th article was about, "I'm new to shooting, what gun shouild I buy for self defense?"

The standard answer became a .357 revolver for a variety of good reasons. One of those reasons was because it was the right answer more often than it was the wrong answer.

There is a standard safe answer in CAS for the question, "I'm new to CAS, what guns should I get?" Now mind you, this answer is right most of the time, but not all of the time, individual differences, bias, even luck can make you want to go with something else, but on average the answer is:

Ruger pistols in .357
Marlin rifle in .357
Inexpensive double or 97 clone

Now after you shoot for a while you will likely expand your horizons and start buying new toys as frequently as the budget allows because it's fun!

Your mileage may vary!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com