Author Topic: Why no pant's belts in the west?  (Read 13890 times)

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Why no pant's belts in the west?
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2007, 10:59:39 AM »
The woman in the back of the boat with shirt and trowsers is the more interesting...

There are two guys wearing lady's sunbonnets. I think this is just proof that people have always had a sense of humor.

But interesting post nonetheless.

Being a student of manufacturing, I'm wondering if perhaps belt loops were just too much trouble to put on pants. I can't believe nobody dreamed up the concept in the last 1000 years or so, but perhaps the detailed sewing needed to add belt loops just wasn't worth the bother, or added cost?

I did a little bit of internet snooping, and although several folks tried to invent practical sewing machines in the early 1800s, it wasn't until the 1850s that Singer managed to perfect a truly practical sewing machine. Perhaps hand sewing belt loops before then just did not make economic sense? After mechanical sewing machines became proctical, it wasn't too much of a leap to factories full of workers sitting at individual sewing machines, ginding out clothing. Oliver Winchester was a successful shirt manufacturer before he turned his talents to managing a firearms company.

Just musings, no facts. I just wonder if belt loops neeed a leap in technology to become practical in mass produced clothing.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Offline Grenadier

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2013, 01:11:34 PM »
Just to illustrate that belt loops on trousers appeared, but disappeared from fashion for several hundred years before making a comeback  ;)

Thorsberg trousers dated to 3rd to 5th centuries.

Offline Cutter Carl

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2013, 08:48:27 PM »
The more pictures (dated) pictures that I look at from the time period of the Old West, the more I find suspenders were not as common as thought.  There are tons of pictures that show men with pants and shirts without suspenders.  I have not counted those not wearing suspenders versus those wearing vest or coats that would cover suspenders, but a rough estimate is 40% or more not wearing suspenders. 

The last issue of True West has some great picutres of the Arizona Rangers.  Most of the pictures just after the turn of the century, 1900 - 1910 and show very few wearing suspenders.  Ther are many more picture dated to pre 1900 showing the same thing. 

If I remember correctly from previous threads on this topic, the only verified pictures of belt loops and belts pre 1900 are baseball uniforms.
NCOWS #3053
SASS #79783
Cracker Cow Cavalry - Florida's 1st NCOWS Posse
CCC - Marshall
Eagle Scout 1980

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 03:58:18 PM »

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2013, 10:09:52 AM »
As mentioned above - the trousers of the time often had a short adjustment belt/buckle (today's 'Ivy League' belt) at the rear.

Properly adjusted, and with no overhanging belly fat to contend with - they do a good job, and stay put.

If you look at the photos of our ancestors - note that by and large, they're relatively slim men - even small - and that method of adjustment worked just fine.

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2013, 10:43:38 AM »
I believe the reason so few working men wore "braces" (suspenders, galusus, etc.) was that they can chafe the shoulders, and also cut off circulation of air under the shirt. Farmers and railroad men often wore bib overalls which held up the trowsers, but didn't feature a belt around the middle. But cowboys and others seldom wore suspenders, depending on the "belt in the back" to hold their pants up. A belt can be constraining, and if you are sitting (such as when riding a horse), can get uncomfortable. That's why Wyatt loosened his gun belt and had it slip down, hindering his mounting his horse at the Indian Springs gunbattle!  :o :P
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Caleb Hobbs

• Top Active Citizen
    • Western Author Michael Zimmer
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2013, 11:02:15 AM »
Belt loops were around earlier, so it could be done. They just weren't popular for some reason. Check out baseball uniforms from the 1880s. But outside of these team photos, I've never seen a belt loop on trousers.

Offline ColonelFlashman

• Thank'ee! And Damn Your Eyes.
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • '73 N.W.M.P. Field Uniform, Assit. Commis.
    • "Sir Harry Flashman's Memiors"
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2013, 07:48:46 PM »
It was an added expense that the manufacturers weren't willing to expend, plus the "Buckle & Billet" along w/ the Braces were considered the best way to hold up ones trowsers.

The Medical belief also dictated that a Belt secured to the trowsers is such a fashion all day was Unhealthy due to constriction, interfered w/ digestion & circulation.

Sports specialty clothing was worn by some Ball Teams for only short periods of time during game play, & wasn't believed to be unhealthy to be worn for such a short period of time. So a few of the Teams had the manufacturers attach Loops, but not many.
Colonel Sir Harry Paget Flashman VC KCB KCIE USMH;
Colonel 17th Lancers Staff Political Officer;
Staff Corp Commander & D.o.P. Command Staff
WartHog, Pistolero & Mounted Shootist
 :uk:  :usa:  :canada:  :dixie:  :ausie:

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2013, 08:16:20 PM »

The Medical belief also dictated that a Belt secured to the trowsers is such a fashion all day was Unhealthy due to constriction, interfered w/ digestion & circulation.

It still does although most guys today don't want to admit it.  I've been wearing them for about 15 years, there is no way I'd go back to belts.  Holding pants up with a belt is like trying to pound nail with a pair of pliers, you can do it but it's a tool unsuited for the task. 
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 363
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2013, 04:24:40 PM »
howdy i  i have a book called gunfighters from the series  of books called the old west from time life they did not have belt loops but i have seen a man on page 105 wearing a belt around his waist and it is not a gunbelt the picture has a paragraph above it.it says the first lawmen of guthrie in oklahoma territory line up with other citzens under a sign misspelled by the craftsmen next door the town zoomed from zero residents to 10,000 during the land rush of 1889  he wears it around his waist you could probably find the book  on ebay hope this helps grace and peace gospel micah

I just looked in that book.

How do you know that isnt a gun belt in that photo? He is wearing a long coat so there is no way of knowing.

He also has suspenders on so probably no need for the belt to hold his pants up so my guess is he probably has a holster hanging on it. It's a typical heavy type buckle you would see on a gun belt from that time period.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline wyldwylliam

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2013, 08:39:49 PM »
What Delmonico said.

When I was young and purty, a belt was not necessary so I didn't wear one.

Later on I did, and they were reasonably comfortable.

I started wearing braces back about twenty years ago when shooting CAS as well as in my earlier Buckskinning days and it dawned on me as I got older and certain bodily expansions ensued, that braces are one whole heck of a lot more comfortable than a belt, especially when sitting, and I have worn them everyday since.

I'm not sure why belts came in and suspenders went out, but it is not progress from my way of thinking. Of course, same thing can be said for the obsolescence of brimmed hats and a lot of other things.

Anybody know why suspenders became outmoded in the general population? Is it just a fashion thing?

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2013, 07:40:32 AM »
Is it just a fashion thing?

Yep, and all it would take is somebody to wear them, do something that some folks think is cool and important and "everyone" would want them. 

Fashion is what someone else says you should wear, but part of "fashion" is the same telling you to wear something else next year so they can sell you something different. 

Today fashion dictates you spend over a $100 for a pair of jeans that is plum wore out, not the half wore out like has been popular for a while. 
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com