Author Topic: Real Dogs....  (Read 9152 times)

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Real Dogs....
« on: January 12, 2006, 11:21:24 AM »
Back when, there wuz this place near where I grew up.  Ole boy whut run it was a real Coney Island hot dog vendor.  Moved ta Norfolk, got 'im a two story buildin'.  Had his hot dog bidness down stairs 'n lived up stairs.  Right next door ta a movie house.  We'd go in there after a show.  Sometimes we'd get rowdy 'n he'd throw us out.

He was about a rude old sumbitch.  Didn't have fries ner ketchup.  He'd tell ya in a New York minute if ya wanted that, McDonald's had it.  Can see 'im now.  Standin' at the gridle lookin' out it the traffic goin' by.  Wearin' one them little white paper hats with the name of a bread company printed on it.  Served up the best hot dogs in the whole wide world 'n he made damned sure ta tell ya that.

Used ta go ta the place ever now 'n again after I got growed.  Never will forget one afternoon me and a pard stopped for lunch.  Was a bad ass then.  K-9 cop.  Had my black leather jacket on 'n that sparklin' stainless steel Smith on my hip.  Slim 'n trim.  Werked out ever other day.  We got ta laffin' 'bout sumthin' 'n got a l'il loud.  The ole boy looked it me 'n told me he'd run me out the place when I was a kid 'n he'd run me out now if need be.  We shut up.  He'd ah done it.

That was a long time ago.  The old fella has died.  Son runs a place not far from here.  My youngest 'n me try ta have lunch togther once a week.  She ain't never had one them tough as leather hot dogs 'fore so off we went.  We walk in 'n the boy (my age) is the spittin' image of 'im.  Same l'il hat.  Standin' it the gridle watchin' the traffic.  Almost as rude but the New York accent ain't there.

Whoa the memory.  Those things are HOT!  Cleared her sinus right out.  Had us a good time 'n we stayed quiet.  Didn't wanna get thrown out.

Told the boy I went back a long ways.  Remembered the old place.  Said he tried ta ferget it.

Guess there's a lot forgot.  A lot new.  A lot not ta be believed.  Yanno, back when I was a kid eatin' them dogs in Tony's old place, if somebody'd tole me someday I'd be eatin' them things with a twenty year old daughter, drive there 'n back in a Toyota with a 9mm auto stuck in my waist band (I'm the revolver type) and a telephone hangin' on my belt - I'd ah been callin' the folks in white coats 'n a butterfly net for 'em.

Whut's this got ta do with anythin'?  Nuttin'.  Just thought I'd run off it the mouth like an old man..........
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Real Dogs....
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 11:56:12 AM »
Rave on. 

It's good to remember.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline El Peludo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 12:35:33 PM »
Keep it up, y'all; I like "war stories".  "Course, when we get to tellin' 'em, don't nuthin' else ever get done.   :D ;) ;D
El Peludo (The Hairy Man)
Las Vegas, Nevada Territory
Lifer in: Life, NRA, NAHC, SASS, SBSS,WARTHOG, DIRTY RATS
IBEW(Retired), Shooter since 1955.
             Roop County Cowboy (FF)
             Original Member: Grass Valley Rangers,
             Camp Beale Land and Cattle Company.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:36:02 PM »

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 12:40:27 PM »
Good rant Arcey.  We had a thread similar to this on TFS on time.  Out here in Newbrssky we have many small locker plants that make their own best in the world weiners/hot dogs.  They all is good, the best is sadly gone, came from Wahoo, lamb gut casing and smoked with good ol' Nebraska corn cobs. ;D  Was lazy last night and picked up some Schuster's weiners, made half way between Lincoln and Waverly and sold in several local stores.

My friend Ron at the North 27th street Super Saver runs there smokehouse and turns out wonderful weiners and many types of Polish dogs.  All good. ;D  Karpaseci's in Wilbur makes some of the best around.  My friends at Kramer's in Talmage make a beef bolona type dog that cause a friend to drive over 200 miles on night when he called and found out I was having some of them and my chili one night, he came, ate, drank coffee and drove the 100+ back home so he could go to work the next day.

There are many locker plants I've only heard rumors of their products, I check these things out when in these towns.  Come on out sometime Arcey and Forty Rod, we'll make a Grand Best in Newbrassky Weiner hunt. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 12:46:09 PM »
Oh, Forty, stop in Nevada on yer way and pick up El Peludo. ;D  We'll make our trip to end at our farm and I'll build a bed of coals of fine hardwoods and ya can cut yer sticks off any of the Mullberry trees ya want.  I'll bake the buns ahead of time. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 01:08:17 PM »
Heh, heh....  Coffee 'n them dogs.....

There was a place downtown whut served up dogs real close ta Tony's.  They was damned good.  Place is gone now, downtown renewal.  My office is about two blocks from where it was.  As well as I know that place, sumtimes I swear whut's there now is in another state.  Streets are still where they were..........

Ennyways, I'd just finished bendin' up a police car.  Just a rookie, was sure I was gonna get fired over it.  My boss was a good ole fella 'n he picked me up.  Tole me we was gonna have sumthin' ta eat 'fore we went in ta do the paperwork.  He hit the place.

It was cold out.  Got me a couple with chilli.  They'd light yer life up.  Was just learnin' ta drink coffee back then.  Keep an IV flowin' these days.  Man, took me a few bites then a gulp ah coffee - set my mouth slam on fire!

Let's see....  That mustah been February '73.  Ain't ate none of them things with coffee since.....
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 06:37:49 PM »
I should add this, the word wieners is a corruption of Vienna Sausage.  Franks or Frankfurters come from Frankfurt sausage.  The word hot dog came from vendors at baseball games selling Hot, Dogs, because many thought that the sausages looked like Dachshunds.

Another story about them is the bun was added at the 1904 Worlds Fair in St. Louis, but like many food stories about this fair it looks like someone else did it first, but the millions who went there were introduced to this for the first time. ;D

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Bristow Kid

• I've got a touch of hangover beuracrate. Don't push me
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Matthew(Matt) Bohach
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 06:50:13 PM »
In my younger years I used to work in this little family owned locker called Orly's.  We made some danged fine weiners there.   I havent had any since the owner sold out and retired, but if they use the same recipe they will be good.  Also made very good bratwurst and ring bologna. 
Prayer Posse
SCORRS
NCOWS #2540
Grand Army of the Frontier #437
Department of the Missouri
PWDFR #149
RATS #233
SASS #68717
WARTHOG

Offline Beth of Lincoln County

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2006, 04:07:46 PM »
Well Arcey, I enjoyed your hot dog story.  Any time you want to tell one of your stories, you have got my vote. 

Dang, I just need a camp fire and a stick and some weiners..................................................ahhhhhhh.............I can smell them cooking now.............

Gotta go...........................now where did I put those matches?????

SASS # 40704
RATS # 251
Lady of the Soot

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2006, 06:48:20 PM »
Tend ta go on my rants, darlin'.

One these days I'm gonna see if one these folks what knows more 'bout eatin' thin I do, kin offer some insight as ta why a 105 pound 20 year old girl kin put away food on the same pace as a 190 pound dirty old man.  Reckon it could be that she werks in a gym and werks out all day instructing others might have sumthin' ta do with it..

Anyways, miss y'all.  When ya graddate - stay way from me with sharp objects.  I pass out at the sight of needles.

Offline McMate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2006, 06:58:34 PM »
Arcey,

How about the campfire at Lost River.  Will have to do the hot dog thing there.

Someday, somehow, we will do that.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2006, 07:45:11 PM »
Chimin n here with my recipe

Chicago style

8 Vienna all-beef hot dogs (Nathan’s)
2 pounds Idaho potatoes, unpeeled and straight cut ( or Orida brand Frozen wedges)
8 hot dog buns with poppy seeds
1 cup minced onions
1 cup vine fresh tomatoes
1 cup yellow mustard
1 cup sweet pickle relish
Sport peppers, to taste (optional )
Celery salt, to taste

Preheat the grill  . Add the hot dogs, reduce the heat to a simmer and cover. Cook until the hot dogs are plump, about 6 to 8 minutes. Fry the potatoes until golden brown, about 4 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally for even browning. Remove and drain on paper towels. Season with salt and pepper. Place the hot dogs in the buns. Start topping the hot dogs with 2 tablespoons of each: onions, tomatoes, mustard and relish. Top with sport peppers to taste and sprinkle a little celery salt on top. Place each hot dog in the center of a piece of deli wrap. Place the fries on the hot dog. Wrap the dog and the fries up tightly and serve.

when planets align...do the deal !

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2006, 11:17:55 AM »
Tend ta go on my rants, darlin'.

One these days I'm gonna see if one these folks what knows more 'bout eatin' thin I do, kin offer some insight as ta why a 105 pound 20 year old girl kin put away food on the same pace as a 190 pound dirty old man.  Reckon it could be that she werks in a gym and werks out all day instructing others might have sumthin' ta do with it..

Anyways, miss y'all.  When ya graddate - stay way from me with sharp objects.  I pass out at the sight of needles.

I can answer that question for ya.  It has to do with age and metabolism, and being active don't hurt none.

We miss ya too.  I'll make sure I stay away when I have a needle in my hand.   ;)  ::)  :-*  8)

Regulator will be at Round Up in April.  I can't go 'cause of school.  :(  >:(  That's alright though, there will be more shoots in the future.

Beth
SASS # 40704
RATS # 251
Lady of the Soot

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2006, 02:59:12 PM »
Beth, darlin', lookin' ferwerd ta seein' ya empty handed.

Sis, let's do thit.  Some dogs, sharp sticks we kin cut there.  Deli mustard.  Fresh bread.  Whut brand ya want? I'll get 'em.  Whut say?

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2006, 12:05:19 PM »
Arcey,

I would love to, but we didn't plan for me to go, just Regulator.  Maybe we could do the dog thing at a Wakefield/Pungo shoot?  How does that sound?

Beth
SASS # 40704
RATS # 251
Lady of the Soot

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com