Author Topic: Open top and Conversion ammo  (Read 5434 times)

Offline Pappy Hayes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Open top and Conversion ammo
« on: January 08, 2006, 03:29:03 PM »
I shoot a RM 60 Army conversion and an Open top for my main guns. I like the 44Colt ammo but find it hard to get. The only store I find it at is Cabelas. It is about an hour drive from where I live and they only carry it in Black Hills which is pricy. The price is a little cheaper from Ten-X but add shipping and it is about the same. The only other manufactuer I know makes it is Ultramax but have not found anyone who carries it. I am considering switching to 44 Russian as it seems more available. Until at least I can get set up to reload my own. What are your fellow pards comments that shoot these revolvers?

Offline Virgil Ray Hality

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Open top and Conversion ammo
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 10:48:52 AM »
I shoot a pair that are chambered in 44 Colt.  I have tried Black Hills ammo of the smokeless variety.  It was good stuff.   I picked it up at a state match from a vendor.   No special price, I just wanted to try some factory ammo cause I was wrestling with light primer strikes and pierced primers.  I got that fixed up.  Anyway, the opentop have a very natural point for me and are easy to shoot one handed.

For most ammo, I reload, and shoot black powder. 

The only problem I am dealing with now is the brass I am using is a bit hard.  So I get a considerable amount of blowback.  I have reloaded cartridges to test when I can get to the range.  I opted not to resize, so I am going to see how bad the blow back is using fireformed brass. If that is a problem I will try anealing about 100 pieces of 44 Colt brass to soften the neck up.

Offline Rapid Lee

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 11:02:37 AM »
I only shoot 44 Russian (Starline brass) loaded full of American Pioneer under a 200 gr RNFP bullet thru my open tops and Richards Mason. I've never noticed any blowback.   I agree with Virgil about the shooting quality of these guns - love 'em.  By the way, I see that Starline is now selling 44 Colt brass.

Rapid

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:26:15 PM »

Offline Jubel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 05:21:24 PM »
Cousin try, http://www.ammodirect.com/product%20directory/caliber%20selecors/cowboy%20ammunition%20cal.htm He sells bulk and his prices are almost a reasonable as handloading. I shoot his shotgun shells and started with his 38's. No complaints here ever.
Cousin we been ashooten at each other all day! How about we stop for a beer then we kin go home and get our axes. Or just as good, lets forget this whole dang feud, I'm agetten too old for this anyhow!

Offline Pappy Hayes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 09:44:09 AM »
Anyone else used ammo from ammodirect.com? Wonderin how it shoots. Rapid Lee why did you choose to shoot the 44 Russian and not the 44 Colt?

Offline Rapid Lee

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 11:05:04 AM »
Pappy,

I chose 44 Russian for several reasons: 1. When I got mine, 44 Colt brass was not available.  2. Most original Open Tops were chambered for 44 rimfire...44 Russian is closer in dimensions to it than 44 Colt.  According to the bible on Open Tops & Conversions (I'm at work and don't have access to the actual title), some of the prototype or first few Open Tops were chambered for 44 Russian.  3. Since 44 Russian is shorter than 44 Colt, you don't use as much black powder to fill the case...I think the recoil from a 44 Russian cartridge loaded with BP is just about right  ;D.

Rapid

Offline Pappy Hayes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 01:09:03 PM »
Thank you Rapid. I been leaning towards 44 Russian because it a little cheaper and more available and a gun store near me. With the information you provided makes me go that way even more.

Offline Big Hext

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 10:31:42 PM »
Anyone else used ammo from ammodirect.com? Wonderin how it shoots. Rapid Lee why did you choose to shoot the 44 Russian and not the 44 Colt?

I used it for about two years.. good stuff.

Thank you for being you.. Annie Lee!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com