Author Topic: Your opinion on Gun Safes ?  (Read 5531 times)

Offline Prof. A. Wickwire

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Your opinion on Gun Safes ?
« on: January 08, 2006, 11:13:54 AM »
Pards,

Since my beloved and I are purchasing a house, I am in the position of looking for a gun safe (2 actually).

I am looking for testimonials on safe brands in the following categories: Fire protection; weight; cost; customer service; and reliability.

My current plan is to purchase two smaller safes.  One for the bedroom and the other in the office.

I am looking for both positive and negative experiences.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Prof. A. Wickwire
Now where did I put that fuming nitric acid?

Does anyone smell smoke?

NCOWS# 2511
NRA# 080060344
NYSRPA# 11983
SASS# 39766

Offline Big John Denny

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Your opinion on Gun Safes ?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 09:25:28 PM »
I have a large Champion safe at the house. A good safe should have at least six locking bars, two side and two each top and bottom. A four hour fire resistence is pretty standard on higher end safes nowadays. You want a heavy safe, mine is over 1400 lbs, to prevent it being removed easily. You also want high manipulation resistence (How long it takes to break in). Mine is 24hrs by lock manipulation and even longer by force. Stay away from the cheap stuff. They don't usually have fire protection and are all fairly easy to break open. If your firearms are valuable you want to protect them, go with a real good grade safe.
Big John Denny, SASS 64775
US Army Retired
Los Vaqueros
BOLD #661
GOFWG #240
SBSS #1780 (Order of the Golden Bullet)
NMLRA
NRA
"Aim small....Miss small"

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Handmade Pistol Grips
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 09:44:11 PM »
I've got a pretty darn big liberty.  Been real happy with it, especially the electronic keypad lock!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:18:57 PM »

Offline Brigid Tanner

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 12:49:00 AM »
Does the electronic keypad need batteries or have be plugged in? Sorry for the stupid question...saw one in a store recently, but there was no salesperson around to ask about it.

Offline El Peludo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 04:10:51 PM »
I, too, have a big Liberty safe called the Presidential.  Mine weighs about 1800 pounds, the walls are about three inches thick; cost new is "expensive" - about 5G, but I picked mine up used for about half that.  I think it is about the best you can get.  Others will have differing opinions, of course.

I can't say about Doc's safe for sure, but I suppose it is likely the same as mine - uses a nine volt battery.  Liberty and Sargent-Greenleaf recomend changing it out once a year.
El Peludo (The Hairy Man)
Las Vegas, Nevada Territory
Lifer in: Life, NRA, NAHC, SASS, SBSS,WARTHOG, DIRTY RATS
IBEW(Retired), Shooter since 1955.
             Roop County Cowboy (FF)
             Original Member: Grass Valley Rangers,
             Camp Beale Land and Cattle Company.

Offline dangerranger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 05:28:43 PM »
About 14 years ago I had a garage fire. the guns that were in the fire rated safe are now in my current safe. there only damage was from water. [ it stood about 8" deep for two days. ] The others that were in lockers were distroyed.My safe was marketed by Browning but made by someone else.[ made in Ill. ]. one big safe would be preferable to several smaller as it would be more difficult to carry off.also check with your home owners ins as most give a siseable discount to the owners of safes.Mine gives enough that over ten years the safe has paid for it self. the locksmiths that I work with told me at the time to pay most attn to the fire rating and the over all weight .  most safes that are broken into are opened at the thiefs shop. good luck DR.
Life is a rush into the unknown, You can duck down real low and hope nothing hits you, Or stand up tall, show it your teeth,and say "Dish it up Baby and dont get stingy with the Peppers!!!"

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Handmade Pistol Grips
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 07:15:58 PM »
2 9-volt batteries.  I change them every year on Jan 1.  The system inside has what's called non-volatile memory.  That means that it won't lose your combination if there aren't any batteries in it.

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2006, 03:11:48 PM »
We have a Red Head safe.  Sold at Bass Pro Shop but made by whoever makes the Browning safe.  In fact saw a Red Head on the floor at Bass Pro that had a Browning emblem in the dial...oops.
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Dakota Dan from OZ

• Top Active Citizen
  • The Legend Lives On
  • Liked:
Your opinion on Gun Safes ?
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2006, 09:49:33 PM »

I like the old gothic style bank safes.They strong ,heavy and have past the time keeping things safe inside them.

My pistol safe is an old CHUBB & SONS made in England at the turn of last century, it weights about a ton and a half[.

And for my longarms I have a CHUBB Booksafe which weights about the same.

These safes were bought from my ex employer and from the bank where my daughter works  /i]
My Pa once said "Son never take a knife to Gun Fight"  He told the truth.
SASS# 28875
SASS State Governor
SASA  Aust #2715
SASA State Discipline Chairman
RATS 239
PWDFR 146
GSC 001

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1664
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2006, 12:42:49 PM »
   Greetings!

I have a Cannon Safe that I acquired roughly ten years ago; I have no complaints at all, and I plan on acquiring another with the fire-proof lining. The new models are all battery-powered key pad style. I'm very happy with the heft and the style; mine is wedged into the 2nd closet & isn't going anywhere.
 I have old friends that a few years ago started "U. S. Safe Co." in Murrieta, CA; their phone number is 951-461-6994. I asked if a discount could be given to my CAS buddies, and Brian said YES!: if you call and mention my name {"Matt"}, you will receive a 5% discount on your purchase. They have will-call, and can set up delivery. These are Old Friends who will Treat You Right, and also have an FFL.
I wouldn't make such a plug if they were any less than Friends & Good People. Give them a call.

Be Well, All!

Matt T. Marfield
                                                     1-14-06

Ornery Orr

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2006, 06:24:39 PM »
I have a Champion CH-50 (Challenger Series).  Weighs 1100 pounds emty.  I have the Sargent & Greenleaf combination lock on mine.  I like it really well.  I also put a goldenrod dehumidifier in mine.

Offline Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Speed Junky
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2006, 11:13:08 PM »
I have a Hall's Safe from Auburn, CA.  Empty it weighs about 900+ lbs, and has a Sargent-Greenleaf lock.  I have a oil painting of a cover from Muzzlerloader magazine on the door.  Functional, and artwork all in the same package.  Have had it about 20 years.  Bought it when I lived in CA and it moved to TX with me.  Love it.
Griff
SASS/CMSA #93 Endowment
LSFSC Life
NRA Life

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com