Author Topic: 1866 uberti stains on brass receiver  (Read 434 times)

Offline Tayhitman44

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
1866 uberti stains on brass receiver
« on: May 09, 2024, 09:32:37 PM »
Bought this rifle used for a good price but it has these weird stains I’d like to remove and some scratches. Tried brasso and it did nothing unfortunately. Should I try another polish or maybe sandpaper? Can I let it patina as is?
Thanks in advance!

Pic: https://imgur.com/a/CeQFOkE

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1728
Re: 1866 uberti stains on brass receiver
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2024, 11:34:40 PM »
      Greetings!

I'm surprised that Brasso wouldn't remove that; Flitz might be worth a try. I would NOT use sand paper!!.

Keep Us posted!

M.T.M.
                   5-09-24

Offline Reverend P. Babcock Chase

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2024, 09:07:34 AM »
Howdy Tay,

I can't give a reason for the discoloration on your '66; however, don't use anything more abrasive than Brasso. Try Flitz, I swear by it. I wonder if you should wipe the brass with a lacquer solvent and try brass again. I just let my '66's patina on their own with use.

By the way, I used Flitz on a pair of matte finish revolvers and ended up with a nice antiquey dark gray look. I don't like matte finish on my guns.

Rev. Chase

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:24:20 PM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 127
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2024, 09:09:11 AM »
 :) Tayhitman  ;)

The 1866 receiver is BRASS.  It will stain whether shooting Smokeless or Black Powder or Subs.  I am also surprised Brasso didn't do the job. 

There are those of us who champion Brass rifles who actually prefer to allow the brass rifles to stain (patina??) and like the look.  All of my Brass rifles are well patina'd and I prefer that look.  It is however your rifle and it's your choice.

DO NOT USE SANDPAPER unless you use 2000 or 3000 grit wet/dry.  Any larger grit will actually leave scratches you may not be able to remove.

Offline Tayhitman44

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2024, 02:07:08 PM »
:) Tayhitman  ;)

The 1866 receiver is BRASS.  It will stain whether shooting Smokeless or Black Powder or Subs.  I am also surprised Brasso didn't do the job. 

There are those of us who champion Brass rifles who actually prefer to allow the brass rifles to stain (patina??) and like the look.  All of my Brass rifles are well patina'd and I prefer that look.  It is however your rifle and it's your choice.

DO NOT USE SANDPAPER unless you use 2000 or 3000 grit wet/dry.  Any larger grit will actually leave scratches you may not be able to remove.

I tried neverdull and it worked better then brasso but the stains still remain. I would love to acquire that patina look tbh. Is there a way to speed up the process? I don’t shoot black powder unfortunately as I read that can speed the process up.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2024, 10:05:46 AM »

Actually, Black Powder and Subs will greatly speed the "Patina" process, but, unfortunately it isn't a quick process.  Takes time.  Just have to convince yourself to ignore the stains until the stains are everywhere.  8)

Oh, also, you may consider coming over to The Dark Side  ::)

Offline Johnson Barr

• Berger Sharpshooters, KVC, Blue River Regulators #129, Johnson County Rangers, GAF
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS Life, NCOWS Merchant
    • J Barr Texas
  • NCOWS #: L-173
  • GAF #: 830
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2024, 12:52:31 PM »
I been threatened by members of my Posse to Brasso my Henry.   By Gawd Woodrow thems fightin' words! ;D
"Peace is that glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"  -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1234
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2024, 01:31:48 PM »
I finally saw the 1st picture since Imgur pics aren't showing up on my laptop. For some years now Uberti ships 1866s with a plastic film over the brass.  Make sure that film isn't still on it.

Offline Mako

• Shooter of the "holy Black", Frontier Gunfighter #1, STORM, Henry 1860
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cowboying since the Mid-20th Century
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2024, 01:01:07 AM »
Abilene,
I think I agree with you.  It looks like there may be a coating on the receiver. Sounds like a good cleaning with a lacquer thinner like the Reverend suggested might be called for.  Or you could try a citrus solution like De-solv-it .  Don't use ammonia.

Tayhitman44,
Actually you can speed up the process, I had someone wanting their receiver to look like it was aged and they asked have some of my BP fouling I pushed out of my bores and they made a solution with some water and painted it on a little at a time.

It will look more like Johnson Barr's than mine.  Mine have the pattern from burned/burning black powder scattered from racking an action fast and smoking shells coming out.

Note, the carbine in the second picture has different patina on the side plates than the receiver body.  I actually took readings with a handheld LIBS unit and the side plates are a different alloy than the body.  The original Henry and Winchester receivers were not Brass, they were Bronze, which was called "gun metal" at the time.  Bronze can be very strong and was actually stronger than some of the faux steel (more iron than steel) the early pistols and rifles were made from, especially if they were castings.   The Uberti carbine is two different high strength Brass alloys with very little Tin in them which would make them Bronze.  I think the rifle in the picture above it also has different materials on the side plates looking at the patina difference but I didn't measure that rifle.

What caliber and barrel length did you get?  As you can probably tell I have a things for '66s.

~Mako
A brace of 1860s, a Yellowboy Saddle Rifle and a '78 Pattern Colt Scattergun
MCA, MCIA, MOAA, MCL, SMAS, ASME, SAME, BMES

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2024, 08:05:59 AM »

My personal preference also runs to Brass Rifles.  Originals, Henry and 66 were as MAKO states, more Bronze than Brass.  Uberti rifles are Brass.  I feel the Brass rifles "feel" much different than '73s although I have two '73 Trappers.  The Brass rifles just seem to feel "right."  I also use to have several '66s, but found myself "Rifle Poor" and needed space in the safe for another Henry or two.

Henrys, '66 and '73s ALL have exactly the same internals.  Also Uberti standardized the Butt Stocks some years ago and all have basically the drop although the Henry stock is about a half inch longer.  A real shame Uberti dropped the cleaning rod space in the Butt Stock.  Icky Foo.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 194
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2024, 08:31:37 AM »
I only have two ‘66 muskets and plan on letting them patina. I do however tumble and polish my brass as it makes them easier to find. Please don’t use sandpaper on your rifle. Here is mine in 44-40 back in January.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1234
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2024, 04:27:05 PM »
I only have two ‘66 muskets and plan on letting them patina. I do however tumble and polish my brass as it makes them easier to find. Please don’t use sandpaper on your rifle.

And as a dedicated brass picker, I thank you!

I used to polish my '66 back when I shot Cleanshot (APP forerunner) as it would make stains and blotches on it I didn't like.  Later started shooting real BP and let it patina.  I have in the past used the technique of taking a patch with BP fouling on it, get it damp, and rub in on the brass.  Gives it a bit of color, not much.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com