Poll

Who is your favorite manufacturer/importer of revolver(s)?

Colt Firearms
22 (8.8%)
Charles Daly
1 (0.4%)
Cimmaron
27 (10.8%)
Navy Arms
2 (0.8%)
Ruger
101 (40.4%)
Taurus
4 (1.6%)
Uberti USA
47 (18.8%)
USFA
26 (10.4%)
Other
20 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 238

Author Topic: Main Match Revolver and why  (Read 76069 times)

Offline Fingers McGee

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: Main Match Revolver and why
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2009, 12:31:22 PM »
Pair of 2nd Generation Colt 1861 Navies are my primary main match guns.  For back-up I have a pair of Uberti 1861 Navies; Pair of 2nd Generation Colt 1851 Navies; and a pair of Uberti Frontiersman 1851 Navies.

Why?  A few reasons.  1.  They're authentic to the period and persona I portray - Ex Civil War Confederate Cavalry Sgt that is Justice of the Peace in an East Texas town around 1880.   :)  2.  The Colt Navies are the best looking and balanced pistols that were ever made.  Everything that came after is just a cheap imitation.   :-\ 3.  They are accurate and natural point shooters.   ;) 4.  They're economical to shoot.  ;) ;) 5.  They make smoke and fire when shot, and cause spotters to back away in fear - or maybe just to get away from the smoke.   ;D ;D  6.  Besides, that Yankee Scout/gunslinger used Colt's Navy Pistol and got famous doing so - what was his name? Jimmie? Willie? or maybe it was Bill?? can't rightly remember.  ??? ???

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Willie Dixon

• Top Active Citizen
  • SSS #245 STORM #362 SCORRS C&BWarthog
    • my Pinterest, specifically cowboy related board
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2009, 03:37:37 PM »
Pair of 2nd Generation Colt 1861 Navies are my primary main match guns.  For back-up I have a pair of Uberti 1861 Navies; Pair of 2nd Generation Colt 1851 Navies; and a pair of Uberti Frontiersman 1851 Navies.

Why?  A few reasons.  1.  They're authentic to the period and persona I portray - Ex Civil War Confederate Cavalry Sgt that is Justice of the Peace in an East Texas town around 1880.   :)  2.  The Colt Navies are the best looking and balanced pistols that were ever made.  Everything that came after is just a cheap imitation.   :-\ 3.  They are accurate and natural point shooters.   ;) 4.  They're economical to shoot.  ;) ;) 5.  They make smoke and fire when shot, and cause spotters to back away in fear - or maybe just to get away from the smoke.   ;D ;D  6.  Besides, that Yankee Scout/gunslinger used Colt's Navy Pistol and got famous doing so - what was his name? Jimmie? Willie? or maybe it was Bill?? can't rightly remember.  ??? ???

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

LMAO that's awesome!  I'm the same way, except with the Remington's now... gotta go with the James' choice, that and I mean dude, they're just so sick... and capable of gunfighter, that ramrod actually stays in place.
At 25, you need to follow dreams or you'll regret it later. 

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes

Offline Curly Red Ryder

• Active citizen
  • CAS-France life member #64 SASS life 83495
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2009, 03:37:27 PM »
In fact Ruger Vaquero, second hand purchase and later a Pietta 1873. Both in .44/40 with 5 1/2 barrels.
Due to difficulties for imports in France, I had to take what I found, the reason for the Pietta after the Vaquero.
Ruger works fine, Pietta works cool, so I'm happy with both.
For BP I use either a 1858 Remington or a Navy 1851 or a Spiller and burr all replicas by various italian manufacturers and all .36 cal. Lot of smoke but the TO doesen't appreciate to receive small parts of caps in his face!!!!
All leather hand made by myself.
Successful me! No I begin!

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 08:47:44 AM »

Offline Willie Dixon

• Top Active Citizen
  • SSS #245 STORM #362 SCORRS C&BWarthog
    • my Pinterest, specifically cowboy related board
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2009, 04:05:08 PM »
your caps go flying?
have you heard about treso nipples and such?  just curious as to what's making them fly... since that's the route I'm going with too.
At 25, you need to follow dreams or you'll regret it later. 

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes

Offline Two-Step

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2010, 12:33:04 PM »
Rugers are probably my favorite modern production revolver. While I really like the cartridge converted Colt Navy revolvers, they are a bit on the pricey side, even when compared to many of the more "contemporary" models that are available on today's market.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote. -Benjamin Franklin

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2010, 04:27:49 PM »
Over time I have consistently opted for Uberti replicas, primarily because they seem to fit my hands better.  On Piettas the hammer spurs always seem to be just out of reach of my thumbs. You see, I have big hands but short fingers.

I always opt for "conversions" because that's what would have been (a) cheaper, and (b) more available during my chosen time period.  My main match pistols are (Uberti) Remington New Model Army revolvers with (R&D) 45 Colt conversion cylinders.  My back-ups are a brace of (Uberti) "1851 Navy" Richards-Mason conversions in 38 Special.  I have a brace of unaltered (Uberti) 1861 Colts just waiting on the sidelines.

Offline temmi

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2010, 03:59:51 PM »
RUGERS!  Price, quality, reliability, safety.  By far the most reliable, rugged pistol made reguardless of price bar none.

Me too

Offline Cherokee Reb

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2010, 01:34:40 PM »
Uberti Walker converted to .45 Colt. I ditched the loading lever and fabricated an ejector assembly. Stoked with 2FF loaded cartridges, it has lots of smoke and flame and...well...style.  The weak side gun is a Pietta 1860 Army converted to cartridge also. Guess I'm a sucked for oddballs.

Reb
Member SASS,NCOWS and Knob Creek Regulators

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2010, 06:20:13 PM »
Ruger vaquero 71/2 in original 44 mag.
Cheap and reliable.  When I bought it you only needed 1 6gun.  Since acquired a 2nd, mine are miss matched a blued and a stainless but when you are clocked with a calendar or hour glass the minor style point penalties dont change your overall position.

Long before I even thought of SASS i got a Cabelas 58 remmie by pietta.  Last year bought its twin for a good $50 more than the original cost back in the day.  Have not fired the second one yet.  Am thinking of going over to the dark side once in a while.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline ogreshooter

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2010, 07:36:01 PM »
I chose Ruger Old Model Vaqueros for many reasons.

1. I have pretty good size hands. The NEW model Vaqueros have slightly smaller grip and frame, and my hand would slide up and stop me from fully cocking my pistol. (meaty part of my hand got stuck between frame and hammer spur). Old Model Vaqueros have just enough handle for stopping that (or I have learned to shoot!)

2. They are ready to roll right out of the box. No special tune-ups are required to go out and start shooting. You can have tune-ups done to them, but it is not necassary.

3. I got a really good deal on them from a fellow club member.

Hope this all helps. Best scenario is to go out and get your mitts on as many SA revolvers as possible, shoot them if you can.

Offline petrinal

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2013, 02:51:18 PM »
Why because it has a pony on the side and is a better investment?  Never mind that the third gen Colts are JUNK!

they are much better made and finished than Ubertis, and the steel is much better than Piettas, for instance, and the frame is not an  investment casting like RUGERs.

they shoot a lot better than Italian clones, as the chambers are more carefully drilled, as well as the bore, and the chambers and bore dimensions  are very adequate too.

the finish is much better, too.  They are made in the USA and they are allways collectable. Italian replicas, unlike german, belgian or spanish ones, have no collector value thought they are well made in general, but just cant compare with the original. Even their blueing is quite forgettable.

Offline Lead Waster

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2013, 05:59:53 PM »
A complete newbies point of view ... I chose Ruger New Vaqueros. It seems a good and safe way to start. No need to put the gun in half cock to load, and then full cock to place it down on an empty chamber. There is enough to remember that I'd like the safe simplicity of the Ruger. Rugers are built like tanks too.

Look, I just want to dress like a cowboy and shoot stuff, the Rugers seem to be a good way to start doing that. If I even get good or want to be more authentic then I'll get new guns. They are "authentic enough" for me!

Offline jimbobborg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2014, 11:43:39 AM »
I picked up a used pair of EMF Hartfords.  Why?  The guy selling them was getting out of CAS, so he was selling his gear.  So I got the pair of them, with a bag of spare parts, a spare barrel and cylinder, and two holsters for $500.  He had them slicked up by a smith a while back, so hammer and trigger pull are smooth like buttah. 

Offline Modoc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Editor, Shasta Regulators State of Jefferson
    • Shasta Regulators
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2015, 01:35:07 AM »
I'm Shooting Ruger New Model Vaqueros in 357 now.  For history, I started off with an unknown Mfg. 1858 replica and a Uberti 1860 army.  Next step was to an EMF Dakota in 44 Spl. and then added a Ruger OM Vaquero in 44 Mag.  After a while, I ended up with another Ruger OM Vaquero in 44 Mag and retired (sold) the EMF.  Developed Carpal Tunnel problems and arthritis in my hands and went to Armi San Marco colt clones that had been well used and tuned and shot them until they wore out the second time.  Finally ended up with the New Model Vaqueros and have been running them box stock for the past few years.  i like the Rugers because I am not having to repair them as often (none yet) and it I want to I can shoot them with some stout loads outside of CAS.

I may get a pair of 5-1/2" Open tops in 38spl some day just to be different, but with my son now shooting with my wife and I, that is a long time down the road.
Modoc

"He Who Laughs Last, Thinks Fastest"
SUDDS, SCORRS, Retired Warthog, Sometime Gunfighter, and Soot Deliante

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2016, 04:55:50 PM »
Gonna run around on this one for a minute too.  Haven't been here before and don't know why not.

Currently I have Six or Seven sets of Main Match guns.  They are all Cap Guns and they are all Snubbies.  44s and 36s.

Because Snubbies are just so incredibly COOL!!

Coffinmaker

Offline LostVaquero

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2016, 10:05:13 PM »
I use Rugers (Bisley).  They are tough, work fine out of the box and lots of parts to slick them up.

Just for fun though every now and then I take the Beretta Laramies out.  Lot's of fun at the unloading table, snap open, pistol clear in seconds.

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2016, 07:38:01 AM »
1860 Colts Londons...Custom built on Pietta frames, Kirst conversion to 45CB, 5" barrels, Ruger hand spring conversion, ......Why?...because they fit my hand so well and they are just so neat!

Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2016, 05:39:46 PM »
Howsoever,......  Every time Roy Posts a photo of his Pietta conversions, I get the itch.  I'm thinking I really want to turn my 1860s into
conversions just like Roy's.  Really KOOL toys Roy!!!  ;D

Coffinmaker

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2016, 06:49:46 AM »
Thanks Cmaker!

If you like those, maybe you'll also like my backups...1858 Remingtons with Kirst converters and bone grips.

Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2016, 01:02:03 PM »
More nice toys Roy.  But ...... Unfortunately ..........
Remington beat my middle finger like a rented mule.  Gunfighter ..... Both middle fingers.  Just can't shoot Remingtons.  Oh well.

Tried to post some photos of my toys, but the pictures are too big to post dagnabbit.  I'll figure out how to post pix yet.

Coffinmaker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com