Author Topic: Electric Christmas Tree Lights  (Read 5536 times)

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 106
Electric Christmas Tree Lights
« on: December 22, 2005, 08:58:49 AM »
The world's first practical light bulb was invented by Thomas Edison in 1879, and a mere three years later in 1882 an associate of his, one Edward Johnson, electrically lit a Christmas tree for the first time. The tree was in the parlor of Johnson's New York City home, located in the first section of that city to be wired for electricity. The display created quite a stir, and was recorded by a visiting reporter named Croffut in the Detroit Post and Tribune:     

"Last evening I walked over beyond Fifth Avenue and called at the residence of Edward H. Johnson, vice-president of Edison's electric company. There, at the rear of the beautiful parlors, was a large Christmas tree presenting a most picturesque and uncanny aspect. It was brilliantly lighted with many colored globes about as large as an English walnut and was turning some six times a minute on a little pine box. There were eighty lights in all encased in these dainty glass eggs, and about equally divided between white, red and blue. As the tree turned, the colors alternated, all the lamps going out and being relit at every revolution. The result was a continuous twinkling of dancing colors, red, white, blue, white, red, blue---all evening.

I need not tell you that the scintillating evergreen was a pretty sight---one can hardly imagine anything prettier. The ceiling was crossed obliquely with two wires on which hung 28 more of the tiny lights; and all the lights and the fantastic tree itself with its starry fruit were kept going by the slight electric current brought from the main office on a filmy wire. The tree was kept revolving by a little hidden crank below the floor which was turned by electricity.  It was a superb exhibition."

Edison's tree was of course quite a novelty for the time, and I suspect a bit of a publicity stunt as well. (It is interesting to note that none of the local New York City papers seemed to have reported on the display). Rare were homes wired for electricity, and those that were commonly had but a single ceiling light fixture in each room. Few people had the knowledge or resources to duplicate Johnson's display in their own homes.

http://www.oldchristmaslights.com/history.htm

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
Re: Electric Christmas Tree Lights
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 11:00:36 AM »
Great post, Slim. Thanks for the link.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 11:46:29 AM »
Here's a sidenote for you.  The glass balls we often hang on the tree at Christmas time has a shooting connection.  The first ones were simply the glass balls that were used in early trap shooting with wires added to hold them to the tree.  These came in many colors and many examples of these pre-clay targets exist today because the got spared being shot and went into the Christmas tree decoration box year after year. 

Todays are just thinner and have brighter colors.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:05:35 PM »

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 11:58:48 AM »
Thanks for the link, Slim. I found a couple decorations that we used to have when I was little, brought back some fond memories.
 Del, there's also some old pics there of early decorating styles that might be of interest to your historian side........Buck 8) ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline El Peludo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 02:56:00 PM »
Very interesting read; thanks, Slim.
El Peludo (The Hairy Man)
Las Vegas, Nevada Territory
Lifer in: Life, NRA, NAHC, SASS, SBSS,WARTHOG, DIRTY RATS
IBEW(Retired), Shooter since 1955.
             Roop County Cowboy (FF)
             Original Member: Grass Valley Rangers,
             Camp Beale Land and Cattle Company.

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2005, 05:45:25 PM »
I found it VERY interesting when I first found out that the glass balls we decorate trees with were actually the type Annie Oakley and other exhibition shooters used.  Thanks for the reminder, Del!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Haroldhoward

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 10:37:32 PM »
Here's a sidenote for you.  The glass balls we often hang on the tree at Christmas time has a shooting connection.  The first ones were simply the glass balls that were used in early trap led shooting with wires added to hold them to the tree.  These came in many colors and many examples of these pre-clay targets exist today because the got spared being shot and went into the Christmas tree decoration box year after year.  

Todays are just thinner and have brighter colors.

It looks nice but you can add more colorful lights to it

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com