Author Topic: Getting my gear.  (Read 3367 times)

Offline chopper

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Getting my gear.
« on: December 19, 2005, 07:09:43 AM »
I have been looking at different rifles to get me started for a time and I have narrowed my choices down to the 1866 yellow boy repro and a sharps repro. I already own a stoger double gun now its down to the hand guns. This is ware my trouble starts. I have never been comfortable with them being carried on my person. I never have had an accident or been in the vicinity of one with a hand gun but I just get nervous when I do it. I am looking at some Ruger Vaquero's as they seem to be pretty safe with the transfer bar safety and all . Anyone here ever have this problem and if so how did you get over it ? Thanks in advance for your input and marry Christmas

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
Re: Getting my gear.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 01:46:22 PM »
"...never been comfortable with them being carried on my person"   ?

I would suggest , you handing (unloaded) several models, until you find the one with the best feel & balance ( sweet spot ) in your hand.
Once you like that feel, practice handling with that one on your person with snapcaps until you are comfortable.
A lot will come with the correct fit in holsters too.

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline chopper

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 04:02:41 PM »
Oh I have handled plenty. I have been shooting my brothers( Colt collector) SA guns alot .He loaned me one to wear around the house to get used to it. I was raised in a house ware hand guns were thought of as dangerous and the tools of criminals. I love them just don't have the experience needed with them to feel safe drawing and firing the way you need to in CAS .

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:46:03 PM »

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 09:22:01 PM »
Just remember, SASS isn't fast draw. The period rigs aren't like the '50's buscaderos. The key word is safety. I wasn't raised around guns either, but I did play cowboys a lot. I'm not the fastest hombre, but I still have a lot of safe fun. I really love the period type gun designs, most everything in my safe is cowboy.......Buck 8) ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Bristow Kid

• I've got a touch of hangover beuracrate. Don't push me
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Matthew(Matt) Bohach
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 09:40:43 PM »
Like Buck said SASS aint a fast draw contest neither is NCOWS.  Just take your time and practice handling the UNLOADED guns and wearing them around.  Use snap caps too to learn to load and unload.  as for drawing and firering this should be done with SAFETY as a major factor.  Fortunately I have 28 acres of wood to practic in with out worrying about hitting anything I aint sapposed to.  With time and practice you will become more familiar with your guns and then you'll be more comfortable with them on you.  Just remember then biggest thing is always treat it like its loaded. 
Prayer Posse
SCORRS
NCOWS #2540
Grand Army of the Frontier #437
Department of the Missouri
PWDFR #149
RATS #233
SASS #68717
WARTHOG

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com